Impossible to find a mobile composing midi app

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My quest to find a mobile app to compose music has been a disaster, my friends.

I use autonic and waveform in the PC, this setup is amazing because you do not need to learn scales and everything you play get recorded in midi format. well this is so easy... in the pc side.

In the mobile side is a disaster, my idea is to use the phone to compose music while I am alone in the mountains or in the train etc... etc... the problem is that I cannot find a setup to do the same that in my pc side. I do not need complex sounds or heavy synth, no multitrack, just a way to play scales and record midi format, so I could pass it to my pc. Yes developers, is importat that a phone could RECORD your tunes in midi format, much more important that all that ways to make rare sounds you put in your apps, or the freaky ways to create sounds using balls, giroscopes, robots etc... No pun intended.

If I find a synth that has the scales built in like autonic in the PC side, surprise, it cannot record MIDI format :-( this happens with 7 pad in the android side or with a lot beautifull synths in the apple side.

If I find a synth that looks that can save midi, it has not scales built in it, so is a pain to use piano keys with no scales progression built in them, specially in a phone, is like a inquisition torture.

Could anyone help me in my search? I just need a way to play preconfigured scales and record midi format, is not that hard, developers.

I also could give some money fund if someone will like to build an app like this.

thank you.

My favourite is SynthScaper, but GarageBand will do it too; Gestrument is a non-keyboard touch approach; Crystal XT has a keyboard and a touch-ring; B-Step is a sequencer; all will record and constrain to a key. I like them all!
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

thank you! will try this ones ASAP

the first I have tried is Crystal XT, unfortunately this App cannot record midi notes, just audio, so I cannot pass my composition to my computer synths and DAW :-( are the other the same or does any of them allow you to export midi notes?

Have you tried Stagelight?

maybe you need a cheap windows 10 tablet

pljones wrote:Have you tried Stagelight?
ohh yes I have download it and looks that it can export midi and has scales built in it :clap: :clap: thank you very much. it is also free for my use as I do not need more voices or sounds :tu:

I think there are plenty of mobile composing apps both for the Android and iOS, e.g. :phones:

http://download.cnet.com/Midi-Virtuoso- ... 61314.html

http://download.cnet.com/Piano/3000-213 ... 15888.html

Thumb jam has a white key only mode that converts to equivalent notes in the selected scale.
Point it at whatever daw app you choose
Instant human just add coffee

jose27mad wrote:
pljones wrote:Have you tried Stagelight?
ohh yes I have download it and looks that it can export midi and has scales built in it :clap: :clap: thank you very much. it is also free for my use as I do not need more voices or sounds :tu:
It's also cross-platform and supports saving to Cloud (Microsoft and Google right now, if I remember correctly) storage. So you can push your project to your cloud storage from your PC, then pull it down to your tablet and carry on working. And then save back, etc. If you need that mode of working, it could be handy.

pljones wrote: It's also cross-platform and supports saving to Cloud (Microsoft and Google right now, if I remember correctly) storage. So you can push your project to your cloud storage from your PC, then pull it down to your tablet and carry on working. And then save back, etc. If you need that mode of working, it could be handy.
I prefer to use my pc setup (autonic-waveform-vst synths) for this, but is nice to have this feature. I also prefer to plug the phone to my PC.

Really apreciate your help, only proflem with this apps is that is a little buggy (sound usually disappear sometimes) and freezes a lot in my phone, it looks that is more suited to tablets and powerful phones, but it has all the features I need, in fact would like to find a less resource-hog app, but I am using it at the moment because is the best I have find.

thank you very much.

Would a combo of Navichord and Modstep and any synth work? Maybe throw in AUM or Audiobus3 as needed?

Notion and cubasis for ipad

I just discovered this app last night - it's only been out a couple months, apparently, and is under active development. It's a MIDI in/out/through app ONLY - no included, or hosted, instruments or effects. I aim to use it with AUM and Gadget. The $5 version has 4 tracks, which may be enough if using it to trigger something like Gadget as well, else you can pay an additional $9 I think it is as an IAP for unlimited tracks.

Xequence
http://www.seven.systems/xequence/manual/

ugh. tried to edit and KVR saved it as a new post - sorry

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”