Basic Chord Generation to Exactly Follow Master Track?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Having created a progression in the Master Track which includes both one-per-measure chords and two-per-measure chords, I would now like to generate simple chords in MIDI (ala the available Chord Generator) so as to have a MIDI chord created for each chord in the Master Track, one for one.

What I'm observing is that I get one-per-measure chords OK, but two-per-measure chords are not respected. See measure 4 in picture below.

Is there a trick, or a particular generator or preset to accomplish this in the hoped for manner (which of course is all-at-once)?

RC MT Note Names 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yea, that one bites me all the time.. what I do, is, set the play cursor at the spot that needs to be split and manually split it by right clicking the timeline at the play cursor. You can the split the selected phrase, or, everything at that spot. (the operation is in the gear menu for the timeline dialog).

As a side note, it works the other way around, ironically. Meaning, if the phrase is already there and then you add the chord in the middle, the phrase gets split. But, like you pointed out, not the other way around..

Attila would have do some reworking to fix that.. It was one of the things that bugs me, but, never really felt is was a big enough issue to complain about..(just my opinion)

Thanks very much for your comments BlueGenes!

Experimenting further based on what you wrote, I have found what seems to be a fast workflow for one-to-one chords to MIDI out.

From the Track right-click menu, select 'Fill With Master Track Chords'. So far at least, this respects all the chords (one-per-measure and two-per-measure both). Or do Shift-H. Or do Ctrl-Shift-H. The results vary a bit, and I'd like to understand that better.

Then solo the track.

Then in the File Import/Export dialog (via the 8th notes icon at the upper left of the Composition window) select 'Export Track to Individual MIDI Files' .

Since the track is soloed, only that track will go out. It can be renamed in advance to influence the output file name.

Sometimes there is is bit of range-changing necessary (from my POV, as I want the output chords to have all notes < C3 and in general to be tightly voiced with each other, but everything drags easily, and that is a big assist.

So, not quite a one-touch operation, but still pretty darn quick if you are working at the full track granularity. RC delivers again!!

You can also save a step by just control dragging the track name to your desktop/folder/daw as well.. meaning, the track header name area.. to drag all the tracks, control drag from the file dialog button (the quarter note button)

Indeed. Thanks again BlueGenes!

I note the message we get when doing this: "Dragging MIDI Track <TrackName> (timeline selection only) - <N> beats)" which is quite helpful in stating what's going on.

However, I'm seeing the entire Timeline captured here in every case rather than any sub-selection I have made.

Timeline Selection.jpg

Am I perhaps selecting incorrectly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

that blue bar under the part/line numbers is a timeline selection.. you have all 16 bars selected. You set that selection area how long you want and that is what is dragged and dropped. compare images..

when no selection is there, it is from start to end..

Ah, got it. Thanks!

Wow, my recent request here ( viewtopic.php?f=168&t=304282&p=7795041#p7795041 ) is almost fully doable this way. Now if the chords could automatically (optionally) become the export name ... <g>

Just confirmed I can do such a drag directly to a Bitwig clip. Nice!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”