RapidComposer v4 beta feedback and discussion (locked)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

Thanks Atilla!

Hi,

Some suggestions about the Track Inspector menu -

1. It makes sense to add an item 'Duplicate Track'. Yes, I personally know at this point to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to accomplish that, but new users will not. And, despite the fact that I now "know" the workaround, i -still- look for that currently missing option! It's just too obvious of a thing not to provide (IMHO).

2. Observe the Track Inspector menu and open help item below. What is the significance of pressing 'A'? Is this portion of the comment still relevant? Also, the "Harmony Track" is actually a "thing" (a separate track, named 'Harmony'') that gets created by certain operations. Pressing 'H' here does not create that, and so I'd say from a terminology POV the help comment confuses the issue.

3. 'H' is represented here in the Track Inspector menu (and pop-up Help), but Shift-H and Ctrl-Shift-H are not. [They are in the manual, which is good!] I suggest that Shift-H and Ctrl-Shift-H are actually more useful and important than H alone, and so these would be worthy (IMO) of either a) their own lines here, with their own help or b) at least a mention in the help as alternatives to 'H'. Creating one-chord-per-measure is going to be a newbie question forever unless RC makes it directly obvious how to do that.

RC - Track Menu 4.1b10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

By the way, why does Fill with Master Track Chords (H) always happen with overlapping chords?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lulukom wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:37 pm By the way, why does Fill with Master Track Chords (H) always happen with overlapping chords?
Interesting. Is that a file you can post?

I wrote about this a few months ago and posted both files and screenshots. And BluGenes and I discussed it .. So this is just a memory of an unresolved bug. And these are all files, but not any specific file or Composition .. I have experienced this on two different computers (Mac OS).

sj1 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 pm Is this for 4.1b10, or 4.1b11?

I ask because I'm not seeing it (in b10) when I select some chords and open Possible Scales: via the Master Track Inspector.
I did this today, so 4.1b10 does not have it. I do not plan to upload a b11, instead v4.1 will be released on Monday, which includes this feature.
sj1 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 pm Can we or can we not assign a "scale of the moment" (rather than a scale for the whole Composition)?

If so, how? (Sorry if this has been previously discussed!)
You can assign a scale to any 'chord box' which is the smallest unit on the master track.
Either in the master track inspector, after right clicking on a chord. Enable overriding the scale by checking the checkbox:

Or right clicking here:

The "scale of the moment" lasts for the duration of the chord.

If you enabled the 'Auto' scale, you can have the scale automatically adjusted based on the chord, so if you have an G Major chord on the master track, the scale is set to G Major too:

https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

sj1 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:23 pm Hi,

Some suggestions about the Track Inspector menu -
Great suggestions, Steve! :tu:
I added 'Duplicate Track' and cleaned the up the very old misleading help text.
I also added other options to fill a track with chords.
BTW I rewrote "Fill With Master Track Chords" to be more useful. And realized the phrase 'lock' gives much better voice leading than the 'magnet' option so probably the 'join+magnet' option will be obsolete soon.

Thanks!
Attila

lulukom wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:37 pm By the way, why does Fill with Master Track Chords (H) always happen with overlapping chords?
I have never seen anything like that... At the moment I am fully reworking exactly this, so I expect that will be fixed too!
Thanks,
Attila

Thanks for your very clear explanation of scale assignments Attila!

From the UI POV, two potential suggestions -

1. In the MT pop-up for Scale, along with 'Remove Scale Change', add 'Copy to Previous Chord' and 'Copy to Next Chord'.

2. When multiple chords are selected, let a chosen Scale Change be applied to all of the selected chords (instead of just to the last one as currently).

RC - Remove Scale Change 02.jpg

musicdevelopments wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:11 am
lovemusic15 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:03 am I was looking forward to you fixing the edit note bug but the problem is still there, after you edit the notes and apply change and then save it inside the generator it just goes back to the original unedited version, even tho is says edited before you save ,

all I want to do is edit a generated phrase and then save it back as a generator.

Hope you can fix
Will you describe the steps to reproduce this? It works well on my setup.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. Please note if you change any generator parameters, the edited notes get lost, and again the generated notes are displayed without the "Edited" label.
It is not possible to leave the edited notes while generating other parts of the phrase. This will be possible only with the 'canvas' track with destructive editing in a next version.
Here's a video hope you can see what i mean it dose not save your edits.

https://youtu.be/JB03blIHKpA

mystery solved.. lol

Hi,

Is there a way to "ripple edit" the location of parts/lines?

What I mean is, take this picture, which resulted from cutting out 2 measures of the timeline after a MIDI file import:

RC - Ripple Edit Possible 01.jpg

Starting at m17 (Bbmaj7) I want to restore the 4m per line all the way to the end of the composition. IOW, starting with Part2-Line2, push all the parts/lines to the right by 2 measures. To be clear, I mean for the chords to stay exactly as they are, but with redone alignment of parts/lines.

Alternatively, is there a way to recalculate parts/lines from scratch (e.g. to reimpose 4m lines and 16 m parts across the whole composition wrt. the current chords)?

Currently I can drag the junction of two lines to make the first longer and the 2nd shorter. It would be very cool to be able to hold down a key and drag such a junction so that the first gets made longer and everything else just gets pushed to the right w/o otherwise changing.

One scenario where such is needed is when importing a MIDI file that has a lead-in prior to the first chord of the song form. I thought I could quickly clean this up in RC, but it seems not.
Last edited by sj1 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BTW Attila, I don't recall you commenting in any way about the notion of having multiple chord rule sets apply to different areas of the composition (ala Scales).

How does this strike you? Useless? Useful but difficult to do? Other?

lovemusic15 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:51 pm Here's a video hope you can see what i mean it dose not save your edits.
Now I see what is wrong! Thanks for the video, lovemusic15! :tu:

EDIT: fixed

musicdevelopments wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:29 am
lovemusic15 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:51 pm Here's a video hope you can see what i mean it dose not save your edits.
Now I see what is wrong! Thanks for the video, lovemusic15! :tu:

EDIT: fixed
Thanks

Return to “MusicDevelopments”