Secondary Dominants

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am quite new to RC, therefore maybe my question is simple:

Lets assume I have already a chordprogression.
To make it more interesting I want to substitute a few chords in the progression, by using the secondary domonant of some chord in a different scale/mode.

Something demoed from 4:35min here: https://youtu.be/oYdVatW7t1Y

Question: Is there a smart support to find the secondary dominant for a NEXT chord in the existing progression?
As far as I understand RCs chord logic focusses on what comes BEFORE the chord suggested.

Hi Cliff,

good question! I added this small feature today.
In the next update (v4.2.1 on Monday) you will find this among the suggestions:

I could not find a better place so the suggestion will be part of 'Chord Substitutions'.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hello
Attila!
I really love it when you inform about the upcoming update! It makes life more fun when you are waiting for something new and interesting!

Thank you, lulukom!
Not just bug fixes, but there are also small features in the next update, based on the feedback I received after v4.2:
  • Keyboard left-right arrows move notes and phrases by 'snap' setting
  • Preview implemented when moving notes with the arrow keys (note editing mode)
  • Fixed: Alt/Option-click to split or join notes did not work in note editing
  • States are stored for 'undo' during note editing
  • New MIDI Export setting: Embed 'Program Change' events in exported MIDI
  • New chord suggestion: secondary dominant for the next 'I' chord
  • Fixed: VSTi instruments unloaded for 'undo' if 'Save VSTi State In History' was turned off
  • Fixed: invalid control number inserted to exported MIDI for some soundfonts
  • [Plug-ins] Fixed: first note of the loop sometimes did not play back in some hosts
  • [Plug-ins] Fixed rare crash when right-clicking on a phrase to open the inspector during playback
Thanks!
Attila

Dear Attila,
I really enjoy your software, while still feeling humble with all its features.
I am even more excited that you act so fast to new user ideas.
Really great. Please keep the good work.
I hope for a long lasting experience with RC and future versions.

BTW Although I wont make friends with discussion community, talking about sustainability.
I personally believe you could sell RC at higher price or with another pricing model.

Dear Attila,
Just to clarify...

Is the feature “New chord suggestion: secondary dominant for the next 'I' chord” limited to I cord in same scale only? Would this not always trivially mean V cord in same scale/mode?

The idea I raised to integrate into RC is really more to find the V once the next cord is interpreted as I in a different scale/mode.

But I am sure I misinterprete your description.

Just curious, so, you would want to find all the secondary dominates starting from a scale? Example, C major secondary dominate is G7, which itself (G7) has a secondary dominate of D, but, D is not in the C scale itself.

kind of cool, really.. you would be modulating to a new scale which is connected, and not just some arbitrary key change..

Hi Cliff,

no, the secondary dominant is offered for any next chords, not just in the same scale. The next chord is treated as I (or Im) in its own scale, then V7 is looked up in that scale. Since this was a quick last-minute change, there is no time for beta versions. If there is something wrong with the chord suggestion, I'll fix it early next week, as soon as I know what is wrong.

Thanks,
Attila
Cliffscherer wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:03 pm Dear Attila,
Just to clarify...

Is the feature “New chord suggestion: secondary dominant for the next 'I' chord” limited to I cord in same scale only? Would this not always trivially mean V cord in same scale/mode?

The idea I raised to integrate into RC is really more to find the V once the next cord is interpreted as I in a different scale/mode.

But I am sure I misinterprete your description.

Hi Attila,

As always it's great to see new features and updates but yet this still nothing there for people that use custom phrases, would really appreciate it if you could fix the apply melody and apply shape. I'm not sure if this variation generator is going to happen anytime soon so at least having those fixes done would be some sort of solution for people using custom phrases, the video I sent you months ago will give you the solution for fixing the apply melody and apply shape variation.

Me and Mike have teamed up and have started working on a video series on how to make popular modern music in RC the process will show you how to make the track and also how the track will sound once it has been mixed with the right sounds and a vocal added.
if anyone else here can think of any ideas to help promote RC please feel free to suggest :tu:

Hi Attila,
just downloaded v4.2.1.
Thx for adding Secondary Dominants.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”