Waveform Dev Update

Discussion about: tracktion.com
dRowAudio
KVRian
1430 posts since 30 Dec, 2012

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi everyone! Thanks to all who have shown an interest in Waveform so far.
We know there have been some issues across different areas so here’s a summary of what we know and how we’re tackling the issues so we can get everyone up, running and stable very soon.

Login issues
Due to a website security upgrade, lots of users were unable to log in or reset their passwords. This was mostly due to accounts still being transferred from the old server when Waveform launched. This should be sorted now. If you’re still having problems, contact support and Brian will sort you out.
Bundle download size
We’re aware many of you were put off by the large size of the initial Waveform download. Almost all of this is the audio content to go with Collective. As Collective is included with the Waveform price at all levels, we wanted to make sure that users found it easy to download and install everything they are entitled to in one easy step. To further improve this, we made the initial authorisation form unlock all products for which you have access to. This means no matter what bundle you buy, the process is the same single download and single authorisation step.
Whilst many of you may be experienced DAW users and are used to lots of plugin downloads, scanning and authorisation, many of our users are new to the audio world and we wanted to make this process as easy as possible for them so they could get to making music as quickly as possible.
For Waveform updates, or those of you familiar with Tracktion and don’t want to download Waveform, you can get the Waveform only installers from the “archives” link in your downloads section. We will look at ways to improve the visibility of these links over the next couple of days.

Collective:
As we’ve launched a brand new plugin with a large sample set alongside Waveform we’re seeing some issues with Collective taking down Waveform and causing problems. We’re aware of most of these and working hard to fix them as soon as possible (if not already).
• Initialising Collective
There was problem reading the vast number of parameters Collective has (~70,000) when you load an instance of the plugin. We’ve looked in to this and some users would experience hangs of up to 30s per instance they had in an Edit. We’ve optimised this and got the parameter reading down from 18s to 0.4s on our test machines so it should load considerably faster in the next release.
• Changing presets
There was also a problem where changing presets would take a long time, especially if the sample content for that sound was large e.g. the pianos. Again we’ve looked in to this and increased load time of some samples by about 1000x.
• Registering between 32/64 bit on Windows
We’ve also spotted a problem if you switch between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Collective on Windows that the software will become unregistered. We’ve fixed this but unfortunately it will become unlocked and you’ll need to re-register (but only once this time).

Waveform:
• Master Mix/FM Synth authorisation
We’ve seen several requests about authorising Master Mix and the FM Synth. These are now embedded in to Waveform in the same way that the other small plugins that appear in the properties panel are. If you load them form the “Waveform Plugins” menu or the side pane, you shouldn’t need to authorise them. However, as you may still have the old VST or AU versions on your system, it’s best to ignore or remove them.
• Plugin crashing
There have been lots of changes to the backend system that Waveform runs on over the past few months which has unearthed a few plugin crashes. We’ve fixed several of these already and are looking at more every day. Sometimes these take collaboration from the plugin developers to get to the root of the problem so this can take a few days.
In particular we are paying close attention to the NI hardware related plugins, Maschine and Kore 2.
• Silent Audio Unit plugins
A problem with Audio Unit plugins not making any sound has also come to our attention. This is very high on our priority list as we are aware not all plugins for the Mac come in VST flavour. However, if you do have VST versions of plugins, please use these in the mean time.
• Linux mouse interaction
There were some changes to mouse handling on Linux recently which have caused problems with jittery plugins. We think we have this one sorted so Linux users should get back to normal in the next release. We’re also looking in to a window ordering problem with plugins.

Reporting:
• One of the big things we’ve worked at for Waveform is to improve the level of information in our log files and crash traces. We can now pinpoint with a much greater accuracy where in Waveform or our plugins crashes occurred. For this reason, if you experience a crash, please send your log file to support as it will help speed up issue resolution.
You can find the log file by clicking the “Help” button in the lower left then “Show the Waveform log file”. You should just be able to attach the whole log file, without zipping it (unless it is very large).
• When reporting an issue to support, please include as much information about what you were doing at the time and a simple way to replicate the problem. The quicker we can replicate a problem, the quicker we can fix it. For this reason, please try reproducing problems with a new, clean Edit as this is what we’ll have to start with.
• Although KVR is great for sharing problems and asking for community help, it can get difficult to ask for feedback, share log files and track issues in threads that get derailed. Therefore, if you’ve uncovered a specific issue please do email support so we can assign the ticket appropriately and get it to our testers/QA team.
• To contact support email support@tracktion.com

Next update:
• As mentioned, we’ve already addressed many problems but want to give them a thorough test and fix a few more before we release this to you. We hope to have a release ready in the next few days, almost certainly by the weekend. Thanks to all your continued support and feedback over the past week.

General feedback:
On a lighter note, how is everyone enjoying the new features Waveform brings? Are you having fun browsing the hundreds of Collective presets? Does the new UI look sharper and easier on the eyes than T7, have you tried out the light and greyscale schemes?
Has any played with any of the new MIDI musicality tools yet? Is the mixer making, well, mixing easier? We’d love to hear your feedback on the new features we’ve added.

Once again, thanks to everyone who’s either purchased or trialling Waveform right now. We hope every release gets it to a stronger and stronger position!

klangbastler
KVRist
465 posts since 1 Feb, 2006

Re: Waveform Dev Update

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:40 pm

what a beautiful and informative message dave!

i am enjoying waveform (demo atm) quite a lot.
my favorites right now are:
- greyscale skin (immediately switched to that at the beginning of testing :) )
- collective sounds really surprised me! great stuff! userinterface is nice too, will probably evolve over time.
- had a quick play with the new midi pattern tool and find this interesting and helpful for quick sketches.
- mixer is still to test in a project, but i guess i need to buy the upgrade to dig in more and enter the "mixing stage".
i am already convinced :)

overall this looks like a real step forward to me and imagining that you've done all this with a small team (admittedly i don't know exactly how much people are involved, but i guess it's not that much), makes it even more impressing.

great work, thumbs up to everybody and all involved!

AegisPrime
KVRist
193 posts since 12 Sep, 2015 from The Fortesque Mansion

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Firstly, it's great to see the devs responding so quickly to the early issues encountered in Waveform - I'm looking forward to following their progress.

I've tinkered with the Waveform demo a bit but ultimately decided to uninstall it and go back to T7 - at this time I have no urgent intention to upgrade since for my own uses, Waveform offers little of value to me over T7.

I think the new mixer is well implemented but ultimately superfluous to my needs - that doesn't mean that some users (and particularly users used to traditional DAWs) won't benefit from it but personally I find Tracktion's original mixer-less design great and I'm somewhat concerned that the innovation present in the original concept for this software will continue to be diluted in an attempt to compete with more conventional software - or to put it another way, if you're trying to be Pro Tools, why wouldn't I just use Pro Tools?

The MIDI improvements are welcome and are one of the two reasons I'm considering the upgrade (although $50 seems a lot for what's on offer) - the other thing that's impressed me is that Waveform seems a bit more stable than T7 (it doesn't crash when I close my projects any more - that should have been fixed in prior releases though and I hate paying for bug-fixes).

Collective and the old Master Mix and the Micro-Synth plugins are nice additions but since I already have a collection of plugins that render these mostly redundant they don't offer me any added value. I do appreciate that substantial work has been put into Collective but in my opinion it should have been an optional purchase as part of a bundle (which would also have left the possibility of a $30 upgrade price-point).

The UI tweaks are fine - no better or worse than T7 (I prefer T7's rounded style though) and the additional colours for tracks and clips are nice. I liked the 'Blue Steel' look from T7 so I didn't play around with the alternatives in Waveform but I've seen some screengrabs and they look good.

So in summary, this update probably isn't for me - I may pick it up if you run a sale (or offer a cheaper version without Collective, Master Mix etc.) but irrespective I hope that it does well for TSC since I want Tracktion to be around for a long time to come and I hope that everyone that has upgraded is enjoying using it.

Mark Swanson
KVRist
174 posts since 9 Dec, 2016 from Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks a lot for the report.
I really like the program, and everything that came with it. As a newer user, just since November, I think it is a great deal and I think it did help me to download everything at once. I didn't mind, I mean how often are you going to do the download? Some of the complaints here have left me shaking my head because I think it's a great deal for the price and I am quite happy with it. I haven't experienced many issues and what ones I have are being addressed.
I haven't found that I needed the mixer yet but that may well change.
And the MIDI tools and pattern generator are very nice, I will really get a lot out of that feature. And Collective is going to be great for me, too....thanks a lot. I am quite happy!
Mark Swanson, guitarist and luthier
Click to visit Swanson Guitars
http://www.MarkSwansonMusic.com

jdnz
KVRian
737 posts since 3 Oct, 2011 from Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:22 pm

dRowAudio wrote: • Master Mix/FM Synth authorisation
We’ve seen several requests about authorising Master Mix and the FM Synth. These are now embedded in to Waveform in the same way that the other small plugins that appear in the properties panel are. If you load them form the “Waveform Plugins” menu or the side pane, you shouldn’t need to authorise them. However, as you may still have the old VST or AU versions on your system, it’s best to ignore or remove them.
what about people wanting to use MM/FM Synth outside of waveform (or people wanting to use Analog Synth inside Waveform even since it's not in the waveform 'bundle' but is part of the separate 'micro synths' download)

Since Master Mix and MicroSynths show as separate full products in my account I don't expect them to be crippled to Waveform only, and the auth system seems to agree (when I online auth them I get a 'registration sucessful' message - it's just that they then fail to fully unlock)

terrynoakes
KVRist
351 posts since 7 May, 2007 from Angus,Scotland

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks for progress update. :tu:
User of Tracktion since T1,with the exception of T3 which was unusable on my PC!
Mainly a midi user so extremely please with the updated midi functions, my own personal bug bear, is the the drum track, any chance of using a diamond shape for notes as in cubase( or is that copyright) when in clip based editing,and in the new editor.Also the option to default to pointer arrow instead of pencil when editing midi

ZeePok
KVRian
1137 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 pm

But still no option to select all notes in a clip! :(

aMUSEd
KVRAF
30649 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Fab! Please also try and optimise things some more. I can't see how this could run on Raspberry Pi and yet perform so badly on Mac.

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:26 pm

terrynoakes wrote:Thanks for progress update. :tu:
User of Tracktion since T1,with the exception of T3 which was unusable on my PC!
Me too

tengotiempo
KVRist
182 posts since 7 May, 2004

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 pm

its a nice upgrade and i like it a lot, if it would work properly .. as i'm a maschine user i have to wait for the fix .
actually, i like the collective-synth part more than the sampler.. its really a good sounding synth.the pattern generator is kind of cool... inversions in the selection on the bottom of the midi-editor would be nice...ok, its just a mouse click and transposition+12, but would be more comfortable in the midi-editor-list.

chico.co.uk
KVRAF
2222 posts since 17 Jun, 2003

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:36 am

jdnz wrote:
dRowAudio wrote: • Master Mix/FM Synth authorisation
what about people wanting to use MM/FM Synth outside of waveform (or people wanting to use Analog Synth inside Waveform even since it's not in the waveform 'bundle' but is part of the separate 'micro synths' download)

Since Master Mix and MicroSynths show as separate full products in my account I don't expect them to be crippled to Waveform only, and the auth system seems to agree (when I online auth them I get a 'registration sucessful' message - it's just that they then fail to fully unlock)
Don't scan them as plugins in Waveform, just your other hosts.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 am

FM Synth seems to be just MDA DX10 with a fancier gui - even most of the presets are the same.

eric71
KVRer
23 posts since 30 Sep, 2008 from Finland

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:05 am

chico.co.uk wrote:
Don't scan them as plugins in Waveform, just your other hosts.
They do scan in other hosts, but they are not unlocked. They play the demo static. There currently doesn't seem to be a working way to unlock them.

fwsuperhero
KVRist
315 posts since 26 Jul, 2012 from Prague, czech republic

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:51 am

Love it.. Right now main daw i use (together with Redux ;]
The new midi functions are great when you wanna to make small changes in composition without thinking too much. Easy way how to create your music more thrilling without knowing music theory. On the other hand i find Waveform as a great tool to learn how and what to play on your keys.

Collective is something like modern Korg M1 for me.

But there are some things i still miss..
a] Easy way to split audio clip (maybe based on warp markers?)
b] Drum editor in the lower midi editor window

gesslr
KVRian
511 posts since 8 Apr, 2014 from USA

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:56 am

Dave,

Great update. Should be pinned to the top...

I really like this evolution of Tracktion into Waveform. It's probably the DAW that gets the most "screen time" on my system these days. :)

TSC's small dev team has pulled off an amazing thing. Congrats.
------------
MacPro 5,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.12.6 | Studio One 4| Waveform 9 | Logic Pro X | BWS 2.4.3 | CubasePro 10 |

http://www.soundwaremedia.com
http://www.facebook.com/geo.napier3

Return to “Tracktion”