Waveform won't record MIDI notes [Solved]

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've even installed the 8.027 beta hoping it'd fix it.

I'm not new to Tracktion, so I know how to record MIDI. The trouble is - it won't do it. I can draw MIDI and that works, but if I play it using an Akai MPK mini... nothing gets recorded. It plays just fine when I press the keys. It just won't record them. Yes, I have selected the MPK in the track and also pressed the record button in the master mixer area. It records just fine in T7.

Thoughts?

(I admit this is the first time I've actually tried recording them... I've played around but was actually settling in to try and make some music for the first time with Waveform)

I noticed that when Waveform came out but have never received a reply for several weeks.

A DAW wich ihs not abble to do the main think we can ask a DAW to do : It is not abble to record notes !!! :party:

Is record armed in the track? It's recording midi fine for me.

Not sure this will help, but I just recently recorded midi notes in to waveform from yamaha QY10, via midi input on emu1212m sound card.
plugged it all up, armed track pressed record started, qy10, recorded drum part without any problems.

Win 8.1 64Bit
Intel i3 -2120 cpu
16gb ram
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

Have you got Action: "Monitor live input from this device, but don't actually record" selected from the Action list? Look in the info area at bottom of screen when you have the input icon selected.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

If you're on Windows:
Some AKAI controllers show up as 'USB audio device' in 3 'disguises'.
'USB audio device' + 'USB audio device' [2] + 'USB audio device' [3].
You have to enable all three in the Waveform - Settings - MIDI Devices page.

I have an AKAI MPD 32 + a KORG Tr49 working in parallel here. No problem recording MIDI notes.

Cheers

The track is armed (worth asking I suppose) - as I'd said, the T7+this keyboard records MIDI just fine in T7. I just re-checked that was the case and it is.

The keyboard is set as a valid input (I can play virtual instruments just fine in Waveform, just not record them), there's only the MPK showing up (no random USB inputs), and it's set to "Merge newly recorded MIDI..." in the action list.

I can slap an Aux Send on the track with the VST that I assign the MPK to and an Aux Return on another track and set that track to record Loop1+2 (old Scarlett 8i6) and the audio records. Seems a rather unfortunate, and more latent, but possible workaround. A short-term one, I have to really, really hope.

:(

Figured out the what (but not the why)!

Somehow, and I don't know how or why this defaulted, but the controller was set to Record to Note Automation. Very confusing. But I knew something had to be set wrong because I was able to record to MIDI over rtpMIDI that I just set up as part of my troubleshooting. Since Waveform could record over the network, it HAD to be able to record my controller.

I disabled that function and now it records! Woohoo.

User or software error? Not 100% sure which. But it works, and that's what matters. :D

Good find. The "Record to Note Automation" option means the incoming data is interpreted as MPE and any pitchbend, pressure messages etc. are created as "Note Expression" (i.e. tied to the note rather than the controller lanes).

One caveat of this is that in MPE, MIDI channel 1 is used for "global" messages (zone, layout, pitchbend range etc.) and so it's not valid to send MIDI note on/off messages on it. Therefore if your sequence only has MIDI channel 1 note on/off messages, these won't be recorded and it will look like your clip is blank.

I've improved there wording here a bit and am looking in to ways to add some warning messages if a sequence is accidently recorded with no notes like this.

dRowAudio wrote:Good find. The "Record to Note Automation" option means the incoming data is interpreted as MPE and any pitchbend, pressure messages etc. are created as "Note Expression" (i.e. tied to the note rather than the controller lanes).

One caveat of this is that in MPE, MIDI channel 1 is used for "global" messages (zone, layout, pitchbend range etc.) and so it's not valid to send MIDI note on/off messages on it. Therefore if your sequence only has MIDI channel 1 note on/off messages, these won't be recorded and it will look like your clip is blank.

I've improved there wording here a bit and am looking in to ways to add some warning messages if a sequence is accidently recorded with no notes like this.
Thanks! I wasn't able to edit my thread subject to mark it as [solved] so I hope a mod can do so. Keep it from lingering around :tu:

After resolving the issue, I spent more time than planned exploring the MIDI composition tools. Ended up having so much fun an extra hour went past without noticing.

Thanks! I wasn't able to edit my thread subject to mark it as [solved] so I hope a mod can do so. Keep it from lingering around :tu:
Done.
After resolving the issue, I spent more time than planned exploring the MIDI composition tools. Ended up having so much fun an extra hour went past without noticing.
:D

Return to “Tracktion”