Moving around in the midi editor

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There doesn't seem to be any way to move back and forth quickly in the midi editor. I know I can grab and drag in the ruler and use Shift and the mouse wheel to scroll in the ruler. Are there other options? Can I easily just jump to the start of the song? Can I enable a scroll bar?

Thanks.
d.

I find that a two-finger scroll on a Wacom tablet is working well in the editor, so evidently it is responding to some kind of scroll message from the input device. Not sure what that would map to if using a "normal" mouse or laptop trackpad offhand...

There are "navigation" keyboard shortcuts under Settings but they seem to ignore focus on the MIDI editor and scroll the main timeline instead, so this does appear to be an area that needs some improvement.

I'm facing the same problem.
I can navigate horizontally with my mouse holding right click on tracks.
However this is disabled in midi editor.

There is no reason to disable mouse navigation, because there is no overlapping functionality.
Moreover, right click has the same lasso than left click in the midi editor, which is kind of pointless.
I highly suggest to implement the same navigation principles all over Tracktion.

Well, good to know I'm not the only one. The midi editor is a bit of an anomaly. The home button doesn't move it back to home position either. I'd be fine with the inline editor except for the fact that it cuts off note names when you scroll forward. Really hoping this will receive some love soon.
midicutoff.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

+1 for all the previous posts about this. I basically gave up using the MIDI editor because of the lack of navigation.

I submitted an official support request for both the midi editor navigation limitations and the inline midi editor name cutoff.

Fingers crossed.

d.

I find it to have some limited uses, but the disconnect between it and the cursor position makes regular use almost impossible. It's useful for loading up multiple MIDI clips and having different clips editable and comparable at the same time. It's useful when making changes within a looped area so that the play head never gets too far away.

I wonder if the developers regularly use a hardware controller for pause/scroll/playback so they're not familiar with how awkward it gets when you're using a mouse for everything.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Wacom tablets, the Apple Magic Mouse, and the trackpads on laptops generally offer methods of scrolling in both directions. At least in the case of Wacom tablets on a Mac, that is working just fine.

However, I tried creating a macro in Keyboard Maestro to simulate a scroll "wheel" right event, and while that works over the main tracks, it does not work over the MIDI editor.

Not sure what is going on with that, but this is definitely an area that needs some attention by the developers.

The limited (and weird, as it relates to the main timeline) navigation in the midi editor is a head scratcher. I've found I can get around some of the limitations by using the left and right arrow keys to scroll the cursor (which still works), and by using hotkeys to move back and forth to in and out points, and bars and beats 'next/previous' markers.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

Not just in MIDI. I want the scroll wheel and 2 modifier keys to work logically and consistently to give me 4 options.

For example:

• mouse wheel = scrolls horizontally
• modifier key 1 + mouse wheel = zooms horizontally
• modifier key 2 + mouse wheel = scrolls vertically
• modifier key 1 + modifier key 2 + mouse wheel = zooms vertically

So modifier 1 always switches from from scrolling to zooming and modifier 2 always switches from horizontal to vertical. As it is now, I can only figure out how to get 3 of these functioning at any one time.

As it is now:
• mouse wheel = scroll horizontally
• modifier key 1 + mouse wheel = zoom horizontally
• modifier key 2 + mouse wheel = zoom vertically
• modifier key 1 + modifier key 2 + mouse wheel = zoom vertically

The last two do the same exact thing! Why on earth doesn't the third option let me scroll vertically? It is so annoying.

I wish I could pick the modifier keys of my choice (I wish shift switched orientation and control would switch from scrolling to zooming), but that is a small matter if I could just get all four things going in a predictable way, I would be happy. If it is possible please someone tell me how.

Have you tried adjusting the "Options" -> "Mouse Wheel Actions" settings?
For me in the MIDI editor trackpad scroll left/right moves the view left/right, up/down scrolls up/down. Holding option zooms horizontally and holding any other modifier zooms vertically.

The only time I can move is when I hover the mouse over the ruler, hold shift and use the mouse wheel. It doesn't matter what mouse wheel option I choose, I can't move when hovering over the main editor window. It either zooms vertically or horizontally. Works as it should in regular audio clips. I'm using Windows 10.

Thanks.
d.

dRowAudio wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:46 am Have you tried adjusting the "Options" -> "Mouse Wheel Actions" settings?
For me in the MIDI editor trackpad scroll left/right moves the view left/right, up/down scrolls up/down. Holding option zooms horizontally and holding any other modifier zooms vertically.
Yes, and no combination of check marks seems to allow the mouse wheel to scroll horizontally, scroll vertically, zoom in and out horizontally, and zoom in and out vertically.

Is it possible the trackpad works differently than just a mouse? I use a desktop, so I can't test it. Maybe the developers test using trackpad too and don't experience the problem.

I have the same problem with the midi editor
cannot be rotated horizontally
I tried to identify all the options
if the midi track is also awkward
something has to do because it's a Pro 11 waveform
even with a 4 band equalizer, the compressors that come with the standard version are not professional and must use others.
Compared to bitwig standart vst it is very different in quality
You have to do a great job in this aspect because otherwise
cannot be called the pro version of the program
the program is fun, but there are drawbacks as well
therefore criticism must be
sorry i don't want to be bad but i want to
good, authentic pro versions with good products
to work correctly
Now all that needs to be improved is what it is.
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... sorlimiter
Orion, Bitwig, Tracktion, Mixbus :party: :tu: :clap:
Win 10, intel i7, ram 20 steinberg UR22mkII :wink:

Windows 10 desktop with mouse and keyboard:
- I cant scroll horizontally, even using modifiers.
- Right click navigation is disabled.
- Scroll wheel association is switched from zoom to vertical scroll. no option for that.

Return to “Tracktion”