Softube or Reaktor block's

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I can't decide.

What are the none obvious pros and cons?

Thanks

I've chosen Reaktor Blocks:
Their sound is quite good.
There are far more Blocks on offer than Softube's modules.
They are cheaper.
There's the Reaktor User Library.

I've gone with Reaktor as well, not because I've owned Reaktor since it's first release but because when I compared Softube vs Reaktor blocks I just preferred the sound of the blocks and Reaktor in general. However, the CPU usage is h e a v y!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Reaktor is great I have both I just wish Softube would use a similar preset chooser to u-he.

i have both. both have there merits. but if you already own reaktor 6.3x, full, perhaps reaktor is the way to go.
but i have to say the things you can do with softube modular, the sound is amazing. i invested in both (and voltage modular).
reaktor sounds also amazing, and you have the free buchla 200t....... not really blocks, but patchable modules.
the bloks are great from NI, toybox and euro reakt. (i have them all, except the synth bundle of toybox, for my needs, not interesting enough, although great, if you don't have voltage modular for instance.)

for me its reaktor.
if you need to make changes to a module or even build a completely new one from the ground up it is very easy to do with reaktor.

Have you looked at Kilohearts' Phase Plant? It might be all the modular you need, depending on what you want to do.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

parricide wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:01 am for me its reaktor.
if you need to make changes to a module or even build a completely new one from the ground up it is very easy to do with reaktor.
Saying that it's easy might give a false indication to beginners . you need to know reaktor /core pretty well ( and dsp ingeneral ) and follow/adhere the blocks rules ( to maintain the highest quality .
Building a blocks adhering the blocks rule is easy if you know dsp and reaktor inside out ., if not and you're not as stupid as a rock it will still take some time to fully understand the core language .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

i had both , for me , Modular win . it's more expensive , have less module , but it sound really good and it's easy to uise

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:30 pm
Saying that it's easy might give a false indication to beginners . you need to know reaktor /core pretty well ( and dsp ingeneral ) and follow/adhere the blocks rules ( to maintain the highest quality .
Building a blocks adhering the blocks rule is easy if you know dsp and reaktor inside out ., if not and you're not as stupid as a rock it will still take some time to fully understand the core language .
agreed. maybe "easy" was the wrong word. easy in comparison, but not easy.
you will have to learn a lot about reaktor, but reaktor modules make that much easier than learning a programming language.
the level you need to be at depends on what you want to do. i would say you can build something simple within a day of use, following some tutorials.

I have Softube and like the Buchla and Intellijel - the new Vermona Random Rhythm is cool. However the placing and arranging of blocks is really clunky and unintuitive, and while the preset system is better than it was about a year ago or so (when every patch was this super large icon so you could only seem maybe 8-10 patches at a time, and when I complained to Softube about it the customer service rep told me that people liked that style!) it still isn't very smooth in my opinion.

Reaktor I tried, including Blocks, but I could never get into it, especially when I tried it and it was the whole dual screen for editing with "What the user sees" and "What is really happening" split. I know that probably was helpful for the uber-tweakers and programmers, but not for me.

I also have Voltage Modular and VCV rack. VCV gets used the most because of the user community, especially Omri Cohen and his tutorials. Voltage gets used second most. Then Softube, and then my Reaktor...

Just my opinions.

Reaktor I tried, including Blocks, but I could never get into it, especially when I tried it and it was the whole dual screen for editing with "What the user sees" and "What is really happening" split. I know that probably was helpful for the uber-tweakers and programmers, but not for me.
This was improved, now you can directly place and patch Blocks in one view.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I went with Reaktor because the huge amount of user libraries and a more mature user base. Not saying that Softube's is bad, it's just that I found Reaktor to be more flexible for custom needs.

I have both. I'd say that Softube is much easier to use, especially for a beginner, but it can also end up being much more expensive if you want to get expansions. Reaktor is much cheaper and also sounds great. VCV Rack and Voltage Modular are good free options too

I just switched over to Softube from Reaktor and it looks (and sounds) promising (for a modular starter as me).

Return to “Modular Synthesis”