API 550 Emulation for MAutoDynamicEq - Zero Latency and CPU Friendly

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Api 550 is one of the most appreciated eq. Which is why there are many plugins that try to emulate it.
Unfortunately every plugin have it's own limitation. Some of them are heavy on cpu, or they are just not flexible enough.

That's why i created a patch for MAutoDynamicEq.
A recreation of this legendary equalizer, that now come with a cpu friendly format, and it's also zero latency.

Last but not least, you have now the ability to edit and to fine-tune everything if needed.
The juice and the workflow from the analog emulation combined with a digital precision when needed.

This is a preset for Melda Production MAutoDynamicEq, so you need this plugin to be able to use it.

In the following video from 0:40 you can ear a comparison between my patch and what i think it's (was) the best API 550 software emulation. I matched the curves at the best, to minimize the differences, anyway as you may imagine, there are certain minor differences, like there are between other emulations and also between hardware units.

https://youtu.be/xTpLtN44_vE

Main Features:
  • For the first time you can use an Analog emulation than edit every parameter you want if needed.
  • Zero Latency.
  • CPU Friendly.
  • Fast and easy to use.
  • Automatic Gain Compensation.
  • In the edit mode you can add saturation.
  • Oversampling.
  • In the edit mode you can change every knob from L+R to only L or only R to Mid-Side or just one of them.
  • With the preset selector in the toolbar you can try different settings and switch between them to instantly ear what's the best sounding.

API preset price: 10€ Get it here!

‘API’ is a registered trademark of Automated Processes Incorporated, and i have no affiliation with Automated Processes Incorporated’.
Last edited by Frankie.T on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isnt there an API in their TurboEQ already?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:15 pm Isnt there an API in their TurboEQ already?
Yes but it's very different (and this one sounds way better to me), anyway as the other emulations you cannot edit or fine-tuning when needed.
Different times i need to load a digital eq after an emulation just to make some correction, while now i can do everythings with one plugin only. It's better for both workflow and cpu

Ah right, always forget that they forgot the edit - button in their TurboEQ, which is a pity actually. Not sure how different it can sound using AutoDyn.EQ, but who knows.

Curves and the way boost and cut works are very different. I tested almost every emulation on different sources and genre, and i translate it into my patch, what worked the better.
It was an insane work to do tbh but it worth it. I cannot be happier with the results, i'm already working on another emulation, i'm trying to translate the best out there. Ofc there may be certain behavior i cannot replicate here, in that case i will just drop the project and move into another. I'm not interessed to make somethin that just work, i want to recreate the best only

I like the "well-known API emulation" better. It sounds more natural and sits in the mix better.
Which one is it?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

This isn't YouTube where newbs are gullible enough to pay you money for your patch.

€10 for a preset? Are you stupid? 🤦‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

What I dont get is since the API lives from its unique frequencies, which are set. Its not a bad Idea to be able to have a full blown digital EQ hidden inside but yepp, maybe I am just missing something here. Another thing is that the other unique part is a proportional Q, so Q increases when gain is increased. I also remember feeding TurboEQ through Plugin Doctor when I first got it and found the curves pretty generic, maybe more like a modern interpretation than an analog emulation, also no proportional Q, if I remember right.

ramseysounds wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:25 pm €10 for a preset? Are you stupid? 🤦‍♂️
At least i'm not rude :wink:
El°HYM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 pm What I dont get is since the API lives from its unique frequencies, which are set. Its not a bad Idea to be able to have a full blown digital EQ hidden inside but yepp, maybe I am just missing something here. Another thing is that the other unique part is a proportional Q, so Q increases when gain is increased. I also remember feeding TurboEQ through Plugin Doctor when I first got it and found the curves pretty generic, maybe more like a modern interpretation than an analog emulation, also no proportional Q, if I remember right.
Yes the q is proportional and the same is on my patch.
I made a very short video where i compare the 2 curves between my patch and the api emulation
https://youtube.com/shorts/4fUmEqEgma8

Frankie.T wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:12 am At least i'm not rude :wink:
I think it’s quite rude that you ignored my question.

It seems like you are deliberately hiding the identity of the API 550 emulation plugin that you used as a reference. I expected more transparency, but this seems to me to be in bad faith. I hope I am wrong. If not, I’m afraid I will have to unsubscribe.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 am
Frankie.T wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:12 am At least i'm not rude :wink:
I think it’s quite rude that you ignored my question.

It seems like you are deliberately hiding the identity of the API 550 emulation plugin that you used as a reference. I expected more transparency, but this seems to me to be in bad faith. I hope I am wrong. If not, I’m afraid I will have to unsubscribe.
I didn't ignored your question, i think it was pretty self explanatory the fact i decided to do not show the plugin in the video, but apparently i was wrong.

First of all in my opinion it's not important what plugin is for the purpose, it's an api emulation, that's what really matter for the video and the discussion since i'm reproducing an api emulation and this is the subject, not another plugin.
Then i don't feel respectful to the company who developed that plugin to reveal it, because it's quite expensive and i achieved something *i think* it sound the same but it's more versatile and with more capabilities, due to the plugin i'm using for the recreation. So i don't want to be the guy who say "hey *company name* i made something that sound the same of your plugin with another eq, and now i offer even more capabilities". This is something i don't like

I hope this explain my choice

Well basically you are matching curves here, which AutoDyn.EQ is pretty much perfect for. The reason you get similar or even same results might just be that the plugin you have modeled also just uses curves, maybe having some very subtle saturation added or something. Its not rocket science, especially for people who also own the EQ you used to achieve your task. I wouldnt expect to many jumping in the boat for only one patch, they might can easily create themselves. Also keep in mind the other companies offering presets for Melda. It would have been more elegant to have posted your patch in their forums or something, to see how the responses are and then go from there. Not trying to be rude or anything, just my honest opinion.

You are asking for 10 euros for a single EQ preset? Am I reading this right?

El°HYM wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:45 pm Well basically you are matching curves here, which AutoDyn.EQ is pretty much perfect for. The reason you get similar or even same results might just be that the plugin you have modeled also just uses curves, maybe having some very subtle saturation added or something. Its not rocket science, especially for people who also own the EQ you used to achieve your task. I wouldnt expect to many jumping in the boat for only one patch, they might can easily create themselves. Also keep in mind the other companies offering presets for Melda. It would have been more elegant to have posted your patch in their forums or something, to see how the responses are and then go from there. Not trying to be rude or anything, just my honest opinion.
I appreciate your opinion.
Is not that easy to match these curves, cause they are proportional and react in a different way for each ammount of boost or gain reduction.
It's not about picking a reference eq then match the curves, cause in the moment you change the ammount in the reference, you cannot proportionally achieve the same if not modelled in a proper way.
What other companies offer presets for Melda? I'm curious to check them out
Vortifex wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:08 pm You are asking for 10 euros for a single EQ preset? Am I reading this right?
When you buy something what matter the most are the results you can achieve with your purchase, and ofc the price is important too.
If you need an api 550 emulation you will likely spend more than 10€ for a plugin, and usually you will also have less features.

Return to “Soundware”