No normalisation?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm used to export my project with ableton where I have the option of normalisation wich raise the volume of tracks to max = 0 db I think...

But I don't see such an option in Bitwig and I don't know how to deal with that. My tracks exported are super low volume.

Thanx

limiter on the master - done.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Limiting the master isn't exactly the same thing though is it...

Normalisation isn't about squashing peaks. IMO it's an important tool when it comes to bouncing loops & samples out a DAW. I for one would like this feature implemented.

exact, I want to export each track of my project to mix in another DAW... and I want to have maximum volume for each track without changing the dynamics and without having to put a limiter on each track and changing volume of each track....

Jolaff wrote:exact, I want to export each track of my project to mix in another DAW... and I want to have maximum volume for each track without changing the dynamics and without having to put a limiter on each track and changing volume of each track....
Why? What about your headroom?

If you are exporting 32bit it would not matter right?

pdxindy wrote:If you are exporting 32bit it would not matter right?
I just export in 32 bit to see what you mean and all files exported are just noise and crackles... bug??

HamHat wrote:
Jolaff wrote:exact, I want to export each track of my project to mix in another DAW... and I want to have maximum volume for each track without changing the dynamics and without having to put a limiter on each track and changing volume of each track....
Why? What about your headroom?
Normalization isn't destructive so it doesn't remove headroom in that sense. It's the same as raising gain to just before any clipping occurs. It's easier to start with tracks that are normalized because you can clearly see the waveforms. The information in them, however, is exactly the same as in non-normalized clips - only with maxed gain. You just lower the channel volume in the new project to get the same audible result.

Sorry for a dummy explanation if this wasn't what you meant. Maybe you knew this already.
Composer, animator, video producer and web designer
http://www.juhanalehtiniemi.com

I'm sure u know this already but if you normalise EACH stem separately then you will lose the volume relationships between the stems when you redo the project in the other DAW. You'll have to manually readjust all the levels again.

U may be better to bounce them as they are, and instead of normalising just put a gain plugin on them... And you can either do that in bitwig before exporting, OR in the other DAW after importing. Sonically no difference at all (unless u clip) . The benefit will be that all your volume relationships will remain how they were originally.

(although saying this, I'd also like a normalise option for exporting single sounds/loops at least... Maybe even on the audio gain tab)

yes, I want to be able to normalize clips. I am about to start playing out using bitwig and that would more setting up my live sets easier.

10 Myths About Normalization

^^^ See Myth #6, point no 3:

Avoiding inter sample peaks

Also, Paul Frindle (of SSL, Sony …) has discussed in length how converters don't sound their best when approaching 0dBFS.

Turn up your monitors instead! :D
Logic X, El Cap 10.11.3, Mini i7, Live, Reaper, Bitwig (demo)

Clicks at +100 samples: 44.1k / 48k (wav)

I use this workaround : open Audacity, "Effect" => "Amplify".

Plenty of valuable tips on hometrack.com. Thx for the pointer TeePee :)

That 10 myths had some good point but I still want to be able to normalise my tracks in bitwig for the very simple reason put forward in this thread.

"It's easier to start with tracks that are normalized because you can clearly see the waveforms."

I record my guitar and vocals with a fair bit of headroom. Some of the instruments I'm recording have crazy big dynamic range so I set the record levels on the safe side. Eg Cajon and Vocals.

Of course I can raise the playback gain but this doesn't give me bigger visual waveform representations. The waveform displays, as a result, have a lot of wasted space.

Generally the recorded track doesn't fall into the category from 'myth' number 8.1:
"When a track’s level is so low that you can’t use gain and volume faders to make the track loud enough for your mix. This points to an issue with the recording, and ideally you’d re-record the track at a more appropriate level. But at times when that’s not possible, normalizing can salvage an otherwise unusable take."

...however sometimes my tracks are near enough that when I max out the playback gain my peaks are still far from full.

On occasion I have resorted to bouncing the post-fader recording with the level set to full and sometimes I have done this more than once so that I have a decent sized visual waveform. And alternately, when I'm not too worried about seeing the waveform, I add an amplifier (BWS 'Tool') as well as max out the gain.

I'm not sure the best way to implement these observations, especially with the BWS non-destructive model, if they are accepted, but I don't think this discussion is over. At least not for me.

Actually I can see one really easy way: Add a right click item in addition to 'Bounce in Place' and 'Bounce'; being 'Bounce Normalise'. Alternatively add 'Normalise volume' as an option in the Bounce dialog. (Except that won't cover 'Bounce in Place' which doesn't have a dialog). And generally when normalising; in place, is the place you want your clip event to end up.

To avoid the inter sample peaks issue, normalise by default to -1db and have this default normalisation level able to be customised in the Preferences.

Return to “Bitwig”