POLL: Would you like to see a limited time lifetime upgrade offer?

Official support for: bitwig.com

Would you like to see a limited time lifetime upgrade offer?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Yes
38%
No
55%
I prefer the old model to lifetime upgrades
7%

Total votes: 56

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently had the idea that since Bitwig's new update policy seems most similar to Cakewalk's, there might be the possibility that they will offer a limited time lifetime upgrade offer at some unspecified future time, similar to what Cakewalk did.

I posted about this on the thread discussing the new license model, but got no response or opinions as yet. It would be interesting to know how many ppl are actually likely to go for something like this, if Bitwig team ever offers it.

The pricing I had in mind goes something like this:

- $479 for anyone that has already updated or purchased 2.0
- $599 for existing 1.x license holders (with additional discounts for badge holders)
-$749 for new licenses

Additionally, I have provided an option to return to the old model, with the intention that this should be compared only with lifetime upgrades and not the current 1-year model. Thanks for voting!

EDIT: just to be clear, I assume that anyone picking NO is showing a clear preference for the current $169 yearly model over both lifetime updates and the old plan. The purpose of this poll is to see how many people would go for a limited time lifetime free upgrade offer given the way things are right now, NOT TO see how many people want them to return to the old model. The third option is provided to keep things a bit more open, with the knowledge that after approximately the 5th year lifetime free updates would also be cheaper than this. Probably should've made this clearer before, but it should be clear enough anyway given that the third option is provided at all.
Last edited by maschinelf on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

I voted yes!

Limited time lifetime? Like till I die? :D yeah we all have limited lifetime.

That can also happen a day after you buy a new car, or house etc. It's not really relevant to the discussion or the questions being asked. The point is, there are others that do this e.g. IL, melda, besides the already mentioned (and most similar) cakewalk. Feel free to contribute either way, useful or not :tu:

Money can't be made that way even if it is limited.

Totally depends on the price...

I might have gone for it before getting 2.0... but now I have a year to see the app progress before deciding to put more cash in.

Hmm yea good point. This could also suggest that such an offer is not likely to appear for another year, if at all.

I prefer the actual price model - no kidding. I definitelly will not upgrade each year but after 2 or 3 years i can upgrade to the newest version with all the updates and upgrades for only $ 169,- which is a price i can afford. Besides that in 2 or 3 years i will eventually switch to a different daw like i already did in the past 5 years (Cubase then Studio One and now Bitwig). Pying for a liftime period such a big amount of money at once is simple not possible for me.

Well the results so far are interesting, and it will be interesting to see how this shapes up. I could've added more choices, but preferred to keep it simple.

The previous poster raises a valid point, and I will add that lifetime updates will start saving the customer money after the 4th or 5th year compared to both options b and c. Also, the difference in spending between b and c really depends on how often the customer decides to update.

the last time i paid a "lifetime" sub for a product was flagships studios game and it was a truly limited offer, because almost a year later that dev-team was history and the socalled lifetime was over. and with it my money.

so, lifetime? nope thx kkbb.

I think Bitwig would have to prove themselves on their promise on releasing regular updates and improvements before many people would commit to such a large amount of money.

It would be helpful if Bitwig released a roadmap at least for a few of the main items they are currently working on for future releases - at least in the near-term. If Bitwig were more open with their development it would build up enough confidence with their customers, both current and prospective, to allow such a scheme of a 'lifetime' upgrade to be successful.

auricle wrote: It would be helpful if Bitwig released a roadmap at least for a few of the main items they are currently working on for future releases - at least in the near-term. If Bitwig were more open with their development it would build up enough confidence with their customers, .
+1 This!
I dont mind to pay upgrades, but its pretty quite right now, communication is pretty,... well none :scared: . LOL
On the other hand were one month in version 2 now. 11 months to go. We see.

Well the results so far are a bit unexpected, in that the percentage of people choosing yes is higher than expected. OTOH, some of the comments bring up a very valid point, that it's very early days and we need something of a track record from Bitwig before laying down that kind of cash. I think if they ever do offer something like this, it would make sense for them to wait and watch too. I reckon the people who have already jumped in wouldn't be too pleased either, if it happened so soon. Now with the impending release of 2.1, I will probably upgrade soon too.

Removed
Last edited by Coockie1176ln on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

;)

Return to “Bitwig”