Bitwig in Flatpak

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRist
107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:41 am

Hey guys!

I've managed to package Bitwig into flatpak. Here's how to make it work: https://gitlab.com/renich/bitwigstudio-flatpak/

If you have any issues, ask me and I am happy to help.
Last edited by Renich on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
KVRian
825 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 am

Renich, you're awesome! :hug:
I will attempt this today hopefully.

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 am

lunardigs wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 am
I will attempt this today hopefully.
Please, let me know how it goes and am glad to help if you run into trouble.

KVRist
39 posts since 3 Mar, 2008

Post Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:23 am

Have you been in touch with the Bitwig team to potentially upload this flatpak to flathub once the major bugs are fixed? It would be absolutely amazing! Thank your for your work and efforts! I really appreciate it.

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:14 pm

DoubleM wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:23 am
Have you been in touch with the Bitwig team to potentially upload this flatpak to flathub once the major bugs are fixed? It would be absolutely amazing! Thank your for your work and efforts! I really appreciate it.
Thanks!

I sent them an email during 2.4 beta. They did reply to say they were crazy busy and couldn't attend right now, but they were interested. Have to follow up on that.

Another thing I would propose is them to provide a tar.gz for Flatpak use (instead of me unpacking the Deb) so stuff is easier... Or have them build it themselves.

Also, I'm trying to work out with Flatpak how to solve the jack2 issue. It seems that Flatpak prefers focusing on PipeWire, which looks promising and, supposedly, has jack2 compatibility out of the box.

I'm excited for that. Let's see what happens.

User avatar
KVRian
825 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Well, preliminary success on a Fedora 28 virtual machine!
I haven't tested everything yet, but it appears to work so far. :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRist
39 posts since 3 Mar, 2008

Post Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:10 am

Awesome! I believe that Pipewire is supposed to be ready to replace Jack2 somewhen in 2019 in the Fedora stack. The audio team is actually coming together to discuss and finish the implementation (https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2018/09/ ... nux-audio/). We will see how fast Pipewire will be moving in the upcoming months. I'm sure Canoncial will be interested in it as well for Ubuntu and maybe their own Snap packaging system. I'm really excited about the future of Linux audio! :hyper:

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:06 am

lunardigs wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:04 pm
Well, preliminary success on a Fedora 28 virtual machine!
I haven't tested everything yet, but it appears to work so far. :clap:
Awesome news!

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:07 am

DoubleM wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:10 am
Awesome! I believe that Pipewire is supposed to be ready to replace Jack2 somewhen in 2019 in the Fedora stack. The audio team is actually coming together to discuss and finish the implementation (https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2018/09/ ... nux-audio/). We will see how fast Pipewire will be moving in the upcoming months. I'm sure Canoncial will be interested in it as well for Ubuntu and maybe their own Snap packaging system. I'm really excited about the future of Linux audio! :hyper:
Thanks for the link. I will check it.

I am, as well, excited! ;D

KVRist
194 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Really good news! Renich! :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Hey, Bitwig Studio in Flatpak user!

Here's the update procedure so you know how to update it:

Please, update these three lines:

Code: Select all

....
        - ar x bitwig-studio-2.4.1.deb
....
        url: https://downloads-na.bitwig.com/stable/2.4.1/bitwig-studio-2.4.1.deb
        sha256: 87627a4c9a5c2a8647f3d6d2ac1080720659fcde1ee6c8ed6ccb6cc976fc1f32
...
They're near the bottom of the yaml file. after that, just execute:

Code: Select all

make clean-all
make 
make install
That should be enough. Just in case, I will attach the new yaml file here. Just unzip it with `gunzip com.bitwig.BitwigStudio.yaml.gz` and replace it with the old one.

The main howto (first post) has been updated as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 pm

BTW, here's how I get the sha256 hash:

* Download the updated deb package
* run: `sha256sum bitwig-studio-2.4.1.deb`

Just in case you want to know. The `ar` command is the one decompressing the deb file so update the filename there as well.

This is, for now, all the information you need to update it yourself.

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am

Published a repo and some instructions. The procedure is much simpler:

https://gitlab.com/renich/bitwigstudio- ... v.2.5-beta

KVRist

Topic Starter

107 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 am

BTW, the 2.5beta1 is right there; on it's own branch.

Master is stable.

KVRian
789 posts since 26 May, 2013 from France, Sisteron

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:33 am

Hi Renich,
This is very interesting!

Return to “Bitwig”