Bitwig 3.1 Composer-Focused Update: Top-3 Wishes Poll

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now that Bitwig 3.0 aka the "Grid Update" is in Beta, Support told several of us they'll start catering again to composers, adding "regular" DAW features.

I see many of you asking for Comping and ARA-2/Pitch-Correction in priority.

So let's vote and help Bitwig understand what would fulfill 70-75% of us.

Here's my vote:
1. Comping
2. ARA-2/Pitch-Correction (would love something completely integrated like FL's NewTone)
3. Stretch Audio Clips (on the Playlist/Arranger window directly, just like the "Stretch" switch in FL Studio)

For people looking for inspiration / the correct wording for the feature they're after:
http://bitwig.shadiradio.com

Ps: For 3. I really hesitated with Automation Curve Templates and manipulation, like Ableton Live's 10.1 update. IMO, I really want Bitwig to less and less make us look down (in this tedious Edit bottom dock) to compose or edit Midi and Audio Clips. I wanna be able to do most of the detail work in the Playlist/Arranger Window like In-Place Midi Editing, Audio Clip Gain, Pitch-Shifting Curves directly on the Arranger window (to quickly insert "turntable-down" effect for instance).
Basically I want Bitwig to cater to people who work alot with One-Shots and Loops samples and who rely alot on micro-edits.

i agree with you on this topic.

my vote:

1. ARA-2/Pitch-Correction (would love something completely integrated like FL's NewTone)
2. Comping

thanks

Thread title is a bit misleading as it seems like that's the actual plan, but I'll add mine in case they do actually read these things.
-Global snapshots ala Maschine (this is more performance oriented). *This is by far my biggest request and everything after this would be just bonus.
-Midi step input
-Good quality timestretch mode in Sampler, for playback of different pitches without changing the duration of the sample.
-Bounce drum machine pad (to multi-velocity sampler instrument)

I just want a better Piano Roll.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

- MIDI step recording.
- Transpose audio in repitch/resample mode directly on a track.
- Audio quantize using onsets.

- alias/linked clips
- stretching of audio & MIDI clips on the timeline
- automation editing like Live is adding in 10.1
- MIDI chase
- retrospective MIDI recording
- MSEG modulator
- step recording
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

3.1 better be a free upgrade plan to get the leaving musicians back, thanking the staying for their patience.

For 3.1

Midi Grid
Tempo Mapping
Automation Clips

Also midi grid

A cool step sequencer with random, probability, polyrhythms etc would be very Bitwig and great for midi/cv out sequencing...but this could be done in the grid probably!

I can’t see any reason they won’t add ARA2, melodyne is the best, why reinvent the wheel.

Easy comping is the only thing I miss from a standard DAW in case I want to throw a guitar track over my modular mayhem, but generally if I am working predominantly with audio recording I would probably boot up another DAW currently, but if it’s midi, CV or VST I can get it done in bitwig as is.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

- mp3 export
- direct preview like FL (ALT+Right Click) in piano roll and arrangement
- gpu powered gui

Did they really say they'll "start catering again to composers" and adding "regular" DAW features? Where? In private? Just wondering, I haven't seen or heard anything like that. I did see that "Looking Ahead" statement but it's petty vague.

In any case, from the poll thread, in no particular order of importance:

1: Advanced tools in the piano roll (scrub, velocity ramp, chop, strum, stretch, etc.)
2: Groove quantize with custom templates
3: Track comping (quick)

Bonus:

I use Drum Machine so much that whatever makes it easier and quicker to work with is welcomed. Therefor it would nice if the pads on Drum Machine can be set to follow MIDI. I wouldn't mind something like Live's Return Chains in Drumracks for Drum Machine as well. Really handy feature imo.

Going with Antic and OP on this one: "stretching of audio & MIDI clips on the timeline" and Echoes on this one "Good quality timestretch mode in Sampler . . ."

Also, does anyone know where I can get buy a Bitwig T-shirt? 8)
-JH

Echoes in the Attic wrote: -Global snapshots ala Maschine
-Good quality timestretch mode in Sampler
Could you explain what Machine's Snapshot are meant to do (during a live set I guess)?
You got me curious.

I agree about Pitchshifting/Timestretching, I find it so counter-intuitive the way they implemented it in the Audio Clip editor as well. You can't add Quick Fades in the Editor panel. When you add a stretch point it somehow moves something else... Yuk.
Enrize wrote: - Transpose audio in repitch/resample mode directly on a track
I can't agree more. I really need to have a keyboard shortcut to pitch up -/+1 Semitone, and -/+1 Octave with the Shift modifier to pitchshift an Audio Clip.
Plus Pitchshifting automation curve, with an option to keep the time (timestretching) or not (tape / vinyl like).
antic604 wrote: - alias/linked clips
I'd love it as well. Along with Clip Painting, right now the Pen tool doesn't draw anything when you paint in a blank space. I want it to paint the LAST Audio/Midi Clip I selected.
BTW, what do you mean by "Midi Chase"?
pdxindy wrote: Midi Grid
Tempo Mapping
Automation Clips
What do you mean by "Midi Grid" and "Tempo Mapping"?
And when you say "Automation Clips", you mean like FL Studio's? I know where you're going but don't you find it messy to have a whole clip dedicated for Automations (not that much since they added Folders/Track Nesting)?
SLiC wrote: melodyne is the best, why reinvent the wheel
You're probably right. Maybe they should consider licensing IL's NewTone as I'm sure ARA2 doesn't come cheap.
My only concern with those addons is speed/performance and seamless integration. I.E. being able to CTRL+Z the changes.

Talking about CTRL+Z / History, I believe there's still things that the History doesn't record in Bitwig, not only 3rd Party VST's changes. Also I didn't see a History "List" like in Photoshop/FL Studio.
JHernandez wrote: Where did they mention catering to Composers (etc.)
Support told me a few month ago, while I was in panic mode when I saw v3.0 was only about this s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶ (yet mind blowing) "Grid" thing that I will only use once in a blue moon at best.

They probably got this panic wave from all their "musicians" Bitwig user segment, as I also read on Reddit and KVR several posts reporting they got the same answer, starting v3.1.

1 midi step input and midi chase/stretch
2 finish the sampler with fixing the select knob with 1-127 values + time stretch
3 make the interface more consistent

also stretching audio and midi from the arranger

also! modulator presets. make just one fully functional lfo instead of 3 with not the same features etc....

better automation snap to grid... sometimes its not accurate when you zoom in...

Zacchino wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: -Global snapshots ala Maschine
-Good quality timestretch mode in Sampler
Could you explain what Machine's Snapshot are meant to do (during a live set I guess)?
You got me curious.
A snapshot is like a memory of all parameter settings. So if you tweak a whole bunch of parameters you can instantly set them back to a default state with one command. With Maschine you can save snapshots so you have a bunch of different saved states of parameters that can be recalled. Live had similar tools made with Max 4 Live.

Return to “Bitwig”