adjusting pressure sensitivity

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to duplicate something that's simple on a Prophet T-8: play entirely with pressure, so instead of having an initial attack you just press and the voices swell up from zero, like having a volume pedal for each note. On the T-8 I got a really nice stringish pad that way.

I've got Animoog Mod 1 configured with control = pressure and destination = loudness. I've tried setting the LinnStrument's pressure sensitivity to low, medium, and high, but attack and decay are kind of abupt, and sustain is a little shaky, so the results aren't very musical.

I tried to check the hidden setting ("hold Calibration (col 16, row 4) while pressing the 'Medium' button to see a number in large digits") but I don't see a number.

Firmware is 2.1.0.

My guess is that your synth is not set to modulate loudness entirely from pressure, but rather also has an envelope generator controlling note loudness. You must trace the problem down in your synth by simplifying.

It's a very simple patch. The amplitude envelope is just a short attack to maximum and a short decay. I've turned off Mod 2, 3, and 4.

If I turn off Mod 1, the sustain amplitude is steady. If I turn it back on, it's as I described.

Deleting this post so as to avoid it confusing anyone in the future.
Last edited by rlauriston on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are two ways the modulation of sustain is implemented in synths! You have to check that first: play a note, and while playing change the sustain. If that changes the level, all is fine. But I know too many synths which only take the sustain value before the note is played and then keep it there. In that case you have to do a different trick to achieve what you want...

The Animoog modulation matrix doesn't have sustain among its targets. It has volume.

Pressure is definitely controlling the volume, I just can't get it to play smoothly a la the Prophet T-8.

The reason probably is that Amp Envelope is hardwired to volume and triggered by note event.

Last edited by rlauriston on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by rlauriston on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With the settings I described in viewtopic.php?f=263&t=516205 the Model D is doing exactly what I want it to.

I think the Animoog may be hard-coded as 48cube suggests so maybe this is not possible with that app. But I prefer the Model D anyway.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”