Catalina workaround solution

Official support for: www.airmusictech.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not going into the debate anymore about AIR's support and lack of info when it comes to compatible updates. We all know it by now. I've waited a long time to make the switch from Mojave to Catalina, just before Big Sur will be available. During that time I tried to figure out how I could still use my Creative FX Collection Plus tools. The problem would be the installer. So here's what I came up with.

Still on Mojave, I checked the installer with Pacifist to see what elements belong in which folder, including:

Apps
Library - Application Support
Library - Audio - Plug-Ins - AU
Library - Audio - Plug-Ins - VST
Library - Extensions
Library - Frameworks
Library - LaunchDaemons
Library - PrivilegedHelperTools
User - Shared - Moved parts - Security - System - Library (Catalina)
User - Library - Audio - Presets

I saved all the files and placed them in the above folders on Catalina. When doing this I realized that - for me at least, because I'm a Logic Pro X user - only the elements in AU and Apps were necessary. The others are mostly iLok related, but you already have those files installed when using License Manager (or just won't need them).

Anyway, everything works after restart and the AUvaltool validating process. So I guess this will also work with other AIR plug-ins. The only problem is that you have to save all the files on a previous OS. I also didn't do that with Sonivox stuff for example so I can't use Film Score Companion anymore. Luckily I could 'safe' the Creative FX Collection Plus tools. For now.

Hope this helps a bit for others!
I'm an orange critter from Arcade with a large nose (but I don't lie!). :D

Thanks for this!
I was able to grab the installed files off my old machine running Mavericks and transfer them to my new system.
This has worked not only for my all Air instruments (with a little tweaking to relocate samples) but also for Sonnivox Big Bang percussion and Izotope's RX2.
Now all working on a brand new 2020 6 core Mac mini. :tu:

Dynamike wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:49 am I also didn't do that with Sonivox stuff for example so I can't use Film Score Companion anymore.
Hi there - I was researching workarounds for installing the Sonivox plugins, as I just purchased Silk Road Percussion and couldn't install it on Catalina, and came across your post. You were definitely onto something as it looks like the iLok installers are trying to write to the system folders which is why Catalina blocks the installation.

As I already have the iLok licence manager installed, and had registered the Silk Road licence through that, I wondered if there was some way of just running the bits of the installer that handle the sounds and the plugins. Turns out there is!

I unpackaged the pkg installer, removed anything which seemed to be linked to iLok or Authorisation from the distribution file, then repackaged it again. And low and behold, it worked! (At least, the VST version does - haven't tested AU, but I don't use logic)

This page helped me in how to open and repackage the installer...

https://snippets.aktagon.com/snippets/6 ... -pkg-files

Hope that helps you get Film Score up and running again!

ScarKord wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:09 amHope that helps you get Film Score up and running again!
Hi, that sounds very interesting! But might need some help here because I'm not that familiar with terminal coding. Let's see, I would start with:
OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Mac.pkg
OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Update.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Mac.pkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Mac.unpkg

"/Volumes/" will be the path where the .pkg is placed and "/Desktop/" just stays the same. Followed by removing the iLok related parts from the saved .pkg on the desktop and finished with:

pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Mac.unpkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Mac.pkg

The installer on the desktop then should work correctly and only install the necessary parts without errors (samples included). Same strategy goes for the update. Followed by restart - or in my case using PlugInstall - and validating. The plug-ins should work again, in theory that is.

Right?

Sorry for delay in replying - work has been manic!

Anyway, those steps seem right to me. Once you have done the pkgutil part, the unpkg file is actually just a folder containing all the contents from the installer. Within the folder is a file called 'Distribution' which you can edit in TextEdit to remove any references to iLok or Authorisation.

Don't forget you'll need to separately use the iLok manager app to register the licence if you haven't already.

Cheers,

Jason

Here are the specific bits I removed from the Distribution file (based on SilkRoadPercussion, but I just checked Atsia too and it's the same)...

<line choice="com.pace.Activation.pkg"/>
<line choice="com.pace.License.pkg"/>
<line choice="com.pace.Manager.pkg"/>
<line choice="com.pace.InterLok.pkg"/>

<choice id="com.pace.Activation.pkg" visible="false" title="Activation Experience" description="" enabled="true">
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.Activation.pkg" onConclusion="none">Activation_Experience.pkg</pkg-ref>
</choice>
<choice id="com.pace.Manager.pkg" visible="false" title="License Manager" description="" enabled="true">
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.Manager.pkg" onConclusion="none">iLok_License_Manager.pkg</pkg-ref>
</choice>
<choice id="com.pace.License.pkg" visible="false" title="License Service" description="" enabled="true">
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.License.pkg" onConclusion="none">License_Service.pkg</pkg-ref>
</choice>
<choice id="com.pace.InterLok.pkg" visible="false" title="InterLok Extensions" description="" enabled="true">
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.InterLok.pkg" onConclusion="none">InterLok_Extensions.pkg</pkg-ref>
</choice>

<pkg-ref id="com.pace.Activation.pkg" packageIdentifier="com.paceap.pkg.eden.activationexperience" version="2.5.2" installKBytes="59608">
<bundle-version>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="2.5.2 GM (b220, r29969)" CFBundleVersion="2.5.2.220" id="com.paceap.eden.PACEEdenExperience" path="Library/Frameworks/PACEEdenExperience.framework"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="2.5.2 GM (b2324, r29969)" CFBundleVersion="2.5.2.2324" id="com.paceap.eden.dsig.bundle" path="Library/Frameworks/PACEEdenExperience.framework/Versions/A/__Pace_Eden.bundle"/>
</bundle-version>
</pkg-ref>
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.License.pkg" packageIdentifier="com.paceap.pkg.eden.licensed" version="2.5.2" installKBytes="45225">
<bundle-version>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="2.5.2 GM (b220, r29969)" CFBundleVersion="2.5.2.220" id="com.paceap.eden.licenseDaemon" path="Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/licenseDaemon.app"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="2.5.2 GM (b2324, r29969)" CFBundleVersion="2.5.2.2324" id="com.paceap.eden.dsig.bundle" path="Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/licenseDaemon.app/Contents/__Pace_Eden.bundle"/>
</bundle-version>
</pkg-ref>
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.Manager.pkg" packageIdentifier="com.paceap.pkg.eden.iLokLicenseManager" version="2.5.2" installKBytes="69843">
<bundle-version>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="2.5.2 GM (b220, r29969)" CFBundleVersion="2.5.2.220" id="com.paceap.eden.iLokLicenseManager" path="Applications/iLok License Manager.app"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="2.5.2 GM (b2324, r29969)" CFBundleVersion="2.5.2.2324" id="com.paceap.eden.dsig.bundle" path="Applications/iLok License Manager.app/Contents/__Pace_Eden.bundle"/>
</bundle-version>
</pkg-ref>
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.InterLok.pkg" packageIdentifier="com.paceap.pkg.InterLokExtensions" version="5.9.1" installKBytes="5576">
<bundle-version>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.iokit.iLokSupport" path="Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy/iLokSupport.bundle"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.tiger" path="System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PACESupportTiger.kext"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.leopard" path="System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PACESupportLeopard.kext"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.panther" path="System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PACESupportPanther.kext"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.snowleopard" path="System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PACESupportSnowLeopard.kext"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.interlok.iluiengine" path="Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy/InterLok Engine.bundle"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.master" path="System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext"/>
<bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="5.9.1" CFBundleVersion="5.9.1" id="com.paceap.interlokhelper" path="Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy/InterLok Helper.app"/>
</bundle-version>
</pkg-ref>

<pkg-ref id="com.pace.Activation.pkg">#Activation_Experience.pkg</pkg-ref>
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.Manager.pkg">#iLok_License_Manager.pkg</pkg-ref>
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.License.pkg">#License_Service.pkg</pkg-ref>
<pkg-ref id="com.pace.InterLok.pkg">#InterLok_Extensions.pkg</pkg-ref>

ScarKord wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:06 amSorry for delay in replying - work has been manic!
Same here! But now I finally managed to tweak one of the installers and try it in Logic, it's safe to say that it actually worked! :) I started with the brass section due to the size of the others but I'm pretty sure that they will work too. The only part I couldn't remove was the 'Manager' part because it wasn't included. I used the following terminal codes btw:

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg

pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg

(Volumes = /Users/Name/Folder)

Those open and repackage codes are also helpful for other installers that won't work properly. You only have to find out what to remove.

Anyway, I'm aware of a lot of AIR/Sonivox users that can't use their tools anymore in Catalina (or Big Sur). Might there be an option to share this thread? I mean, we figured it out ourselves so maybe we can help others as well, showing the developer(s) a virtual 'thank you' for not helping everyone in the first place while still selling the same tools. :clown:

Update: all installers work! 2 of them also had the 'Manager' part included.
Full list with the original installer names, for everyone that finds it helpful:

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Brass\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/OrchestralCompanionBrass1.4_Update.pkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionBrass1.4_Update.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionBrass1.4_Update.unpkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionBrass1.4_Update.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.unpkg ~/Desktop/Orchestral\ Companion\ Strings\ 1.4\ Mac.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Update.pkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Update.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Update.unpkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionStrings1.4_Update.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/BBCMAC.pkg ~/Desktop/BBCMAC.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/BBCMAC.unpkg ~/Desktop/BBCMAC.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/BigBang2.5_Update.pkg ~/Desktop/BigBang2.5_Update.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/BigBang2.5_Update.unpkg ~/Desktop/BigBang2.5_Update.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/OCWoodMAC.pkg ~/Desktop/OCWoodMAC.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/OCWoodMAC.unpkg ~/Desktop/OCWoodMAC.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/OrchestralCompanionWoodwinds1.4_Update.pkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionWoodwinds1.4_Update.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionWoodwinds1.4_Update.unpkg ~/Desktop/OrchestralCompanionWoodwinds1.4_Update.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/EightyEightMac.pkg ~/Desktop/EightyEightMac.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/EightyEightMac.unpkg ~/Desktop/EightyEightMac.pkg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/EightyEight2.5_Update.pkg ~/Desktop/EightyEight2.5_Update.unpkg
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/EightyEight2.5_Update.unpkg ~/Desktop/EightyEight2.5_Update.pkg

Unfortunately, it seems that Big Sur will be a new problem. A quote from a user:
I recently upgraded to Big Sur and none of their Plugins work any longer.
:?

Another reason to hold off upgrading to Big Sur for now then :)

Agree on your point re. the developers. It really wouldn't have been much of a problem for them to update the installers just as we have, and direct users to install / register iLok manually? Still, we got there in the end!

Glad you have your libraries back ;)

Out of curiosity, are AIR Music Technology and SONiVOX basically the same coders underneath? I ask because they've pulled all their installers (and products) from Plugin Boutique because of some issue with Windows 10.

That's right: Instead of leaving the Windows installers on their website for the rest of us and just adding a note about some Win10 issues, they've scorched the Earth and removed everything. Everywhere. Plugin Boutique's support doesn't know when they'll be back, and there's nothing on either company's site about these supposed issues.

I stumbled upon this thread after reading about Lexicon's issues and saw both companies mentioned in this one thread regarding "compatibility" issues. So I thought I'd ask, in case anyone knows that these are really the same company, basically.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I'm seeing Hybrid 3 on Plugin Boutique right now... and yea I think Sonivox and AiR have at least a common owner (inMusic).

Nowadays, I'm sadly just waiting for the day they vanish, they're definitely a dead company walking for me. And I regret buying anything from them, it seemed a bargain at the time but simply cannot use their plugins knowing that soon they will cease working as OS updates are made available and they don't provide updated installers...

- Mario

mabian wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 am I'm seeing Hybrid 3 on Plugin Boutique right now... and yea I think Sonivox and AiR have at least a common owner (inMusic).

Nowadays, I'm sadly just waiting for the day they vanish, they're definitely a dead company walking for me. And I regret buying anything from them, it seemed a bargain at the time but simply cannot use their plugins knowing that soon they will cease working as OS updates are made available and they don't provide updated installers...

- Mario
Yes, sorry, I knew they were both owned by inMusic (located near my old hometown in Rhode Island!), but I forgot to mention that. Then again, inMusic owns about a dozen companies (including Akai and Alesis), but they don't all necessarily share the same coder(s), thankfully.

In their defense (more or less), they're supposedly working on new installers for whatever it is that's going on with Win10. And while all the AIR Music Tech. and SONiVOX products look like they're at least 10 years old (based upon the size and general design of the GUIs), they have made updates to them over time. And I haven't seen any other threads about problems with any of their products.

My friend has Win10 (I have Win7), and he hasn't experienced what the support rep at Plugin Boutique told me about Blue Screens of Death, plagues of locusts, erectile dysfunction, and your hair falling out. (To be fair, I think he was already beset by those last two issues before he even bought the plug-ins.) Have you had any actual problems with these products?

I'm kind of surprised Hybrid 3 is on the site now, since you can't even get to the installers for it. I own it, and while I don't remember looking for the installer for it last week on their site, all the others were gone, so I assumed it was too.

I think I've paid less than $20 for Loom I and II, Hybrid 3 and the other ROMpler and two SONiVOX instruments. I won't be out a lot of money if they don't work, but I have used them quite a bit.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

It's strange, I see all their products on the AIR website, and the boutique has: Xpand!2, Drum Synth 500, Hybrid 3, Mini Grand, and Velvet 2.

Clac wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:13 pm It's strange, I see all their products on the AIR website, and the boutique has: Xpand!2, Drum Synth 500, Hybrid 3, Mini Grand, and Velvet 2.
They're on AIR's website, yes. But the Plugin Boutique rep told me they took all of these plug-ins down from Plugin Boutique's site.

As I mentioned, neither AIR nor SONiVOX even mentions any issues with Win10 on their site -- anywhere.

Steve

EDIT: I went to pluginboutique.com to download the latest installer for any AIR product I've bought, and I was greeted by a page that finally acknowledged a Win10 issue with the products. The SONiVOX download page hasn't been updated in 10 months and still doesn't mention anything (though you can't get the installer, either). The last person to update the SONiVOX page 10 months ago was the same person who finally put up the notice about AIR products 5 days ago.

So while you can still buy SONiVOX products from Plugin Boutique, you won't be able to download them if you're on Win10, and I don't see that mentioned before you buy them.

Steve

PluginBoutique behaves cunningly and not well, they need to remove these plugins from sale completely. In the meantime, you can buy them, but you will receive a warning after the purchase - this is a half measure.

This is sad. I still had very little hope that these plugins would be updated someday, but apparently this will not happen. (still hopeful :) )

By the way, do I understand correctly that if I have already installed these plugins for a long time, then I should not worry, there should be no problems? Problems only occur when installing on the latest versions of Windows 10?
I already installed their plugins on Windows 10 a couple of years ago, and at that moment I was lucky - there was no BSOD, the plugins still work today.

Return to “AIR Music Technology”