What Would be Great for Symphonic - Key Switches

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a feature request - a separate row at the bottom of each track where we could select/enter key switch notes (stretchable of course) to really make use of the possibilities in orchestral/band packages.

Further to that thought, a few rows for modulation cc's would be awesome for electronic music as well.

Just a thought, I hope you find it worth considering - thank you!

yeah the key switch thing would be useful.
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

hmmm, could you explain a bit more the key switch? I didn't understand how it should work or which advantage it would have.

Ah! Of course: many/most symphonic or band packages include key switches. This means that a given instrument, for example a violin section, will have several articulations such as pizzicato, legato, tremolande etc. The instrument will reserve a few keys at an extreme range of your keyboard such as C-4 thru D#-4 (for example). These keys do not produce sound, instead they tell the instrument which articulation to play while they are held down. In this way the composer does not have to load up a separate track and sample set for each articulation, so they save a lot of cpu overhead and RAM, and really simplify the arranging.

So: part way through a passage (phrase), the composer could simply enter, say, 'C#-5' (or whatever is used by that particular package and articulation) into a mono-note lane beneath the phrase and stretch it out for, say, 1 bar, and for that bar the instrument would now play a crescendo, or a fall, or staccato, or tremolo etc. When I say 'enter', it could also be 'select from a drop-down' or whatever.

By all means let me know if I made myself understandable or not, I'd be more than happy to speak further.

I am more than impressed with your product, it has completely changed the game for me.

that is a good explanation, and a lane of some sort below the pianoroll or in the playlist for each track. it would not need much space either.

Yes, I understand now. However I still have some questions. The midi specification only allow notes between 0 to 127 (afaik), it means from C0 to G10, then I send back them to the host.

So, atm, I don't know how to send notes outside that range, like C#-3 or similar. Which host allow you to do this? Could you use notes, lets say, from C0 to B0? Such notes aren't very useful either...

About your CC request: it's in my todo list, however I need sort out few things before be able to do it.

what needs to be is a keyswitch note(s) that are entered along the timeline so as the phrase plays these note would be sent out to Kontakt or whatever and therefore would change the sound playing automatically as the phrase plays through.

as i think about it more this would be a very powerful feature for string sections or actually other genres of music.

not all kontakt instrument libraries use such extremely low notes for keyswitches.

in Sonar one can record and edit notes in the pianoroll in these extreme ranges.

Thanks for the information!

Apologies! I was slightly off, I should have said 'C-2' (not C-4). C-2 is actually midi note #1, and G8 is midi note #127. There are indeed only 127 midi notes possible (10 octaves). That, for some reason, is how keyboards view the range. What you see as C0, my keyboard considers to be C-2. We're really talking about the same thing though.

Yes I got the idea :)

I already can't sleep anymore! Nora has stolen my mind. Now I'll be checking for updates every 5 minutes for weeks. You guys are making it very difficult for me to eat, sleep and go to work. And I'm fine with that!

Nice! Remember eating something too :) Notice I said "few releases". I estimate it should be avaliable between the next 2-5 Nora patches.

The best things in life are worth waiting for.

sounds fantastic! (really) Nora has captured my focus as i have been waiting years for someone to make a tool like it. GREAT job! :tu:

i'm patient though. :)

Return to “Squaredheads”