Solved: Playlist Pattern Only Plays If Speed Is Set to Normal

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I set to half speed, I get no sound until I set back to normal.

Any ideas how to change playlist patterns speed?

Edit: Changing to Internal Sync seems to work. However, when I do it that way, it seems to affect all patterns in Playlist. Is there a way to selectively affect speed of various patterns in playlist?

Previously, when Nora 2 betatesting started, speed were aplied per clip, but it was very confusing, and the testers complained about it, so I changed it to only global. I suggest you enable the "Show playlist time helpers" preference too see how Nora is reading each track with different speed, it works in a very different way when the time mode changes.

There is no way to affect only to a selection of pattern - except - play those patterns in another track with another speed (again- hint: look where the time helpers are located to place the clips). It was really time consuming do this, that's why I did only for full tracks.

thanks for the tips Juan

are we getting close to v3 beta?

Hope v3 is close!
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

I have show playlist time helpers on, but I don't hear any difference if I change to 2/4 or 1/2 time in playlist.

Edit: Now I'm getting it to change speeds as desired by changing speeds manually while playing using Track Configuration.
However, I have a pattern 15 in track; when I drag it in again to another part, it brings 16 in instead of 15 even if I make 15 unique.

Musical Gym wrote:are we getting close to v3 beta?
Don't get anxious about it, just focus in what you have (currently - it is a lot!) and it will come sooner than you expect. We still working on Nora, after all is (almost, NoraHarm) our only product :)

The visual helpers are just that, small cursors that show you how the clips are playing when you are playing with different settings, like speed / internal or host sync / loop mode. They appears as soon as the track will not play with the host position due to such settings.
Edit: Now I'm getting it to change speeds as desired by changing speeds manually while playing using Track Configuration.
However, I have a pattern 15 in track; when I drag it in again to another part, it brings 16 in instead of 15 even if I make 15 unique.
I didn't understand. Please could you explain it further?

I had a ptn #15 in playlist timeline on track 1, for example. I dragged ptn 15 again from browser to another section of track 1, but it actually was ptn 16; somehow it didn't like 15 and seemed to make it 16. I don't think it's a big deal; it could have been my mistake somehow.
I like changing the speed of ptns in playlist on the fly; very creative for me, especially changing speed(s) during a single ptn.

Musical Gym wrote:I had a ptn #15 in playlist timeline on track 1, for example. I dragged ptn 15 again from browser to another section of track 1, but it actually was ptn 16; somehow it didn't like 15 and seemed to make it 16.
I understand now. Notice that phrases that are in your HD do not have any information about the Nora project, because they can be used in any project you wish. Of course, the old and the new phrase have the same 'file' information tag, and I could use it to create a phantom copy. However I prefered don't do this, because:
- I have to perform a search for all the phrases loaded in the project (performance).
- If you open a phrase and you edit it in your project (without saving to the phrase file), when you load the phrase again from the browser, you would open the modified phrase instead the original one.
- ... and, therefore, if you open the same phrase in another Nora instance, since it has another project, it would open the original one! - which is a pretty inconsistent behavior.
- It's not how the general 'meta' of the software work nowadays.

Instead, Nora uses a virtual pool to create referecenes to phrases. If you want to use the same phrase - and keep them linked, you can do it in easy ways:
- When using the playlist, the default behavior for copies is phantom copies. Just move the phrase to another track (or same) dragging it. But, once you start dragging it, if you press Ctrl you will generate a phantom copy!
- With the pattern editor is the same, but the default behavior is create unique copies.
- Dragging from pattern editor to playlist (or viceversa), will create always phantom copies.
Use the Alt key (togheter with the Ctrl key) to invert this behavior and create unique copies instead phantom (again, or viceversa)!

I hope it helps :)

Thanks much Juan; I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

Jim

Using phrase editor, I keep wanting previous/next button for loading phrases instead of drag/drop from browser. Is this planned?

When I set notes/octaves to max number for phrase, the setting does not hold for next phrase loaded in. Can this setting not revert to default 3/3 for next phrase?
Edit: I see it works fine if I leave the options dialog open.
Edit: Spoke too soon. The behavior for octaves is not consistent. I dragged another phrase in while Options dialog was open and set to 5 octaves/8 notes and the octaves on screen changed to only one octave.

Musical Gym wrote:Using phrase editor, I keep wanting previous/next button for loading phrases instead of drag/drop from browser. Is this planned?
Yes, but as a simple shorcut (down/up arrow, then enter key).
Musical Gym wrote:When I set notes/octaves to max number for phrase, the setting does not hold for next phrase loaded in. Can this setting not revert to default 3/3 for next phrase?
Edit: I see it works fine if I leave the options dialog open.
Edit: Spoke too soon. The behavior for octaves is not consistent. I dragged another phrase in while Options dialog was open and set to 5 octaves/8 notes and the octaves on screen changed to only one octave.
There will be a solution for this - however notice - if you have a track with, let's say, 2 notes per octave, and you load a phrase with 4 notes per octave, the phrase will be load as a 4 note one, since it was designed for that, in the same way a synth loads a preset designed with 4 enabled oscillators when you only have 2 enabled ;)

Thanks again Juan. I appreciate your help.

Return to “Squaredheads”