Pick your PICK!!

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I found this pick for my bass at a shop for stones and gems...
Simply the perfect shape...
StonePick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guitars - dunlop tortex (the purple ones)
bass - fingers

lates

t-willy

I use any pick I grab in my array of them in pick bowl. Change will do you good

acousticglue wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:14 am I use any pick I grab in my array of them in pick bowl. Change will do you good
i do something similar with car keys at parties...

Red nylon Jazz III or Ultex Jazz III for lead.

White nylon Dunlop .46mm flapper for acoustic strumming, something a little stiffer if I want to add some single note licks.

Orange Tortex shark fin for metal rhythm, tilted with high side toward left shoulder. This seems to allow most consistent and fastest palm muted chugging for me. I don't use the saw/scraper part.

Sometimes I like the 2mm purple stubby for lead.

For picking on bass, I like the XL Ultex Jazz III. I sometimes use it on guitar too.

I tried all the Dava control picks. I HATE THEM ALL! :D

my #1 is the Dunlop Ultex Standard .88 - #2 is the the Primetone Standard .88

I played Jazz IIIs and Jazz III XLs for a while, but eventually got tired of the sound / feel. I messed with Davas and for me they were meh.

Amazing thread! Keep going!

Gibson Hard wedge, not teardrop. Teardrops don't make sense to me. Three usable tips, so if it slips there's always one close enough to the strings.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Whoops, duplicate. :dog:
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I've been using the Jazz III 0.5mm red tortex for years, and have some 1 and 2mm stubbies (the red and purple ones) for variety.
I'm really keen to check out the dunlop flow picks mentioned earlier (the tortex lose their grip after a bit).
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

for most I prefer to use Jazz III 2.0mm and small Stubby Picks, 2.0mm.
I find the great for shredding

Wegen 1.4 mm fantastic for acoustic's ... guitar, mando family, tenor banjo etc. The bevel gives you so much control, the thicknesses so much tone. I used to use yellow Dunlop's, and still do on electrics

jabe wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:29 am Image

Gibson Hard wedge, not teardrop. Teardrops don't make sense to me. Three usable tips, so if it slips there's always one close enough to the strings.
This pick shape makes sense. The angle is wider, so it breaks over the string more easily when you tilt the pick. This makes playing fast a bit easier and more consistent. I just got a variety pack of John Petrucci signature picks from Dunlop and there is one style in there, the John Petrucci Trinity, with a similar shape. It is the best pick I've ever used so far for playing lead! Honestly, I feel like my quest for a great pick is over! I want to promote the use of this pick so maybe they'll keep making them! Try it! With normal picks, or even the popular Jazz III style, I often find myself getting caught on the string. Not so much with this design. The way the edges are rounded helps too.

These look like they might be good too, with the asymmetric bevel.

JO512 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:32 am Red nylon Jazz III or Ultex Jazz III for lead.
Jazz II for me, but it has been decades since I explored options.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Guitars”