Kurt Cobain Guitar sale breaks records

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A guitar played by former Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain which he played in in a rare acoustic concert MTV unplugged performance in 1993, just 5 Months before he died, has sold for $6m/£4.9m breaking previous records and becoming the most expensive guitar ever bought at an auction.

The guitar, a 1959 Martin D-18E was bought a Los Angeles auction by Peter Freedman, the founder of Rode Microphones.
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 am A guitar played by former Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain which he played in in a rare acoustic concert MTV unplugged performance in 1993, just 5 Months before he died, has sold for $6m/£4.9m breaking previous records and becoming the most expensive guitar ever bought at an auction.

The guitar, a 1959 Martin D-18E was bought at Los Angeles auction by Peter Freedman, the founder of Rode Microphones.

:arrow:

The only thing that confuses me about this is how little (comparitavely) the Gilmour one went for. I'm massive fans of both Nirvana and Floyd but most people would be in agreement the latter were more important to the history of music. That said, Kurts one does have a story behind it with it being the guitar he played at a concert responsible for his death.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

How the f**k was a concert responsible for his death?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 am How the f**k was a concert responsible for his death?
Have you seen how miserable he is playing that gig? And 5 months later he becomes best friends with a gun...

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:45 am
revvy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 am How the f**k was a concert responsible for his death?
Have you seen how miserable he is playing that gig? And 5 months later he becomes best friends with a gun...
Speechless.

Ah well, have a good life.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 am Speechless.

Ah well, have a good life.
I wish you were speechless 10 minutes ago.

OP, my question which I've not had answered yet from news reports is who actually sold it? Was it Love?

revvy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:05 pm OP, my question which I've not had answered yet from news reports is who actually sold it? Was it Love?
https://www.musicradar.com/news/kurt-co ... settlement

yet Prince's guitar barely sells over half a million
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... n-1018190/

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:45 am
The whole deal with Kurt Cobain was that he's a miserable guy. :P

bluedad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:42 pm yet Prince's guitar barely sells over half a million
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... n-1018190/
Yeah, but it did need restringing. ;)

There's not much logic to what people pay for collectibles, I guess Cobain was at the height of his fame, that's the guitar you see in his most iconic photos, big, messy 'gossip column' death... At least the guy who bought it (Rode chief?) is hoping to use it to promote music education.

schpaeckulum wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:19 pm
revvy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:05 pm OP, my question which I've not had answered yet from news reports is who actually sold it? Was it Love?
Wow.

Cheers.

schpaeckulum wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:19 pm
Isaiah Silva Net Worth
Estimated Net Worth in 2019 $1 Million - $5 Million (Approx.)
Previous Year's Net Worth (2018) $100,000 - $1 Million
Annual Salary Under Review.
Income Source Primary Income source Family Member (profession).
10 Feb 2020

I think this needs amending now.

Return to “Guitars”