Freestyle feedback

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My wrong.
Missed the MPE part.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:28 pm Your missing the point. I need ALL of them to be sent to ONE plugin at the same time. This is how it has to be for MPE plugins to work in Freestyle, but since "All" option in the very location your talking about is broken (it merges any MIDI channel to just channel 1, I confirmed with MIDI monitor script in Kontakt), it doesn't work as it should. Simple as that. We should be able to just select All, instead of doing 16 right clicks..
No, he's not missing the point actually you are.

"Unfortunately, that is not good enough"

Er really?

Can you try any other plugin that has some MIDI routing options and which has "All" option for MIDI channels? None of them will work as Freestyle does with that same option. That is my point, this option doesn't work as expected in Freestyle. "All" should simply pass through all MIDI events from all MIDI channels without any modifications on them.

Ok just gonna say this once: Pinki was referring to your arrogant, self-entitled attitude and inflammatory 'feedback' style which you often (not always) slip into here. Frankly it comes across as pretty rude and ultimately is really demotivating for everyone involved.

I dont have much time right now, but just in short to give some insight: the current behavoiur is not broken, there just is no MIDI inside Freestyle, intentionally by design. MIDI is a low resolution, no-longer-fit-for purpose, 40 year old protocol, whereas Freestyle internally uses our own high-resolution, modern protocol. So, the general implementation strategy is to decode MIDI before it enters Freestyle into our internal protocol. The current translation was working fine and no noone even noticed it was not MIDI, but then the MPE specification came along and was squeezed like a massive round peg into the antiquated MIDI square hole. As our protocol (intentionally) does not have channels, it now reveals a disconnect between the two protocols.

Don't get me wrong, the MPE *functionality* makes sense, but the implementation, from a technical perspective is frankly an absolute abomination, hacking/abusing the use of channels, rather than actually extending and moderninsing the MIDI spec to accomodate this properly in a straightforward way.

Of course however, we need to address this as MPE devices are becoming more popular. I just have not yet decided on the solution. But the solution will not be to support MIDI natively in Freestyles internal event streams. Rather, I guess we either need to decode the MPE data into our own protocol, and re-encode it back to MPE for the VST wrapper, or somehow opaquely pass the channel data to VSTs somehow. Neither solution is technically trivial therefore it will take a while.

That's just some insight/background, but bottom line, I am aware of the issue and it will be addressed. But I would appreciate if you could check your attitude a little before you start ranting about things being broken and issuing demands.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Thank you.

newsonicarts wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:24 am Ok just gonna say this once: Pinki was referring to your arrogant, self-entitled attitude and inflammatory 'feedback' style which you often (not always) slip into here. Frankly it comes across as pretty rude and ultimately is really demotivating for everyone involved.

I dont have much time right now, but just in short to give some insight: the current behavoiur is not broken, there just is no MIDI inside Freestyle, intentionally by design. MIDI is a low resolution, no-longer-fit-for purpose, 40 year old protocol, whereas Freestyle internally uses our own high-resolution, modern protocol. So, the general implementation strategy is to decode MIDI before it enters Freestyle into our internal protocol. The current translation was working fine and no noone even noticed it was not MIDI, but then the MPE specification came along and was squeezed like a massive round peg into the antiquated MIDI square hole. As our protocol (intentionally) does not have channels, it now reveals a disconnect between the two protocols.

Don't get me wrong, the MPE *functionality* makes sense, but the implementation, from a technical perspective is frankly an absolute abomination, hacking/abusing the use of channels, rather than actually extending and moderninsing the MIDI spec to accomodate this properly in a straightforward way.

Of course however, we need to address this as MPE devices are becoming more popular. I just have not yet decided on the solution. But the solution will not be to support MIDI natively in Freestyles internal event streams. Rather, I guess we either need to decode the MPE data into our own protocol, and re-encode it back to MPE for the VST wrapper, or somehow opaquely pass the channel data to VSTs somehow. Neither solution is technically trivial therefore it will take a while.

That's just some insight/background, but bottom line, I am aware of the issue and it will be addressed. But I would appreciate if you could check your attitude a little before you start ranting about things being broken and issuing demands.
Thank you for the insight.

Keep up the great work.

Regards,
tl.

Thanks for the insight, James, and sorry if my tone sounded off - it was not my intention to come off as rude (but now as I reread my posts, I see it too and I apologize). It was just weird to me that the "All" option doesn't work like in any other plugin with similar options, so of course I would deduce it is broken, by comparison. If there's no MIDI inside Freestyle by design, that explains the things I'm seeing. Thanks for that.

And yes, MPE is a sort of a hack, there is no disagreement there. But it's now officially a part of MIDI standard, and also a part of MIDI 2.0 specification (which has much increased resolution and is definitely more modern spec along with full backwards compatibility and many other benefits, so I am hoping at some point Freestyle will support it, once DAWs get around to supporting it as well - what are your thoughts on MIDI 2.0?)

But just a reminder - MPE is not even the first time MIDI channels were "abused" in such a way. MIDI guitars did it back in the 80s even, and various forms of hexaphonic pickups do it till this day... Surely this is a legitimate use of MIDI channels - one MIDI channel per string. MPE is not wildly different from that.

Thanks the update on the mpe stuff James, good to know.

I have sound only in left channel when playing guitar through the Freestyle Standalone. At the same time when use it as insert in Reaper it's okay.

My audio interface - UAD Apollo Twin MKII, Win 10.

Skorobgatko wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:40 pm I have sound only in left channel when playing guitar through the Freestyle Standalone. At the same time when use it as insert in Reaper it's okay.

Hi
Can you send an email to: support@newsonicarts.com and they'll sort you out. :tu:

pinki wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:32 pm
Skorobgatko wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:40 pm I have sound only in left channel when playing guitar through the Freestyle Standalone. At the same time when use it as insert in Reaper it's okay.

Hi
Can you send an email to: support@newsonicarts.com and they'll sort you out. :tu:
Ok, thanks.
Last edited by Skorobagatko on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Can I check- you are going into the guitar input?
This will appear on channel one only.
If you want it to be converted to stereo put the NSA 'Stereo Width' module in line.

pinki wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:13 pm Can I check- you are going into the guitar input?
This will appear on channel one only.
If you want it to be converted to stereo put the NSA 'Stereo Width' module in line.
It worked, thank you!

Downloaded the demo of Freestyle and planning to buy it as it's exactly what I'm looking for... However, not all of my plugins are showing up in Freestyle. (I'm searching all the same folders my DAW searches, even tried moving plugins around but it won't pick them up at all).

Any idea what could be causing this? As this is the one thing stopping me from purchasing atm.

Thanks

Zaorsha wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 am Downloaded the demo of Freestyle and planning to buy it as it's exactly what I'm looking for... However, not all of my plugins are showing up in Freestyle. (I'm searching all the same folders my DAW searches, even tried moving plugins around but it won't pick them up at all).

Any idea what could be causing this? As this is the one thing stopping me from purchasing atm.

Thanks

Hey there, if you send an email to support@newsonicarts.com someone will sort that out for you no problem. Thanks

Return to “New Sonic Arts”