Windows 7 Permission Fix

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because it's the most common problem with my current versions, I'll just post it here.

Relates to ACE, Zebra 2.5, Uhbik, MFM2 beta, Filterscape beta, and various alpha versions

By default my installers will save their .dll files and resources (Zebra2.data, ACE.data etc.) into Vstplugins. Unfortuantely most people have their Vstplugins directory somewhere under C:\Program Files\ - which by default is write protected since Vista. The outcome is, neither of my plugins can properly save preferences, registration codes or presets. In some cases even crashes are possible.

The data folders can however be moved elsewhere, e.g. into your Documents location which then is accessible. Here's an explanation for Zebra, but it works similar for the other plugins aswell:
  • in Windows Explorer, find the Vstplugins directory that contains Zebra2.dll. It should also contain a folder called "Zebra2.data"
  • move the entire Zebra2.data folder into C:\Users\(you)\Documents\
  • right-click Zebra2.data in its new location, and create a shortcut (symbolic link)
  • move the shortcut back into the Vstplugins directory that contains Zebra2.dll
  • if the shortcut is called "Zebra2.data shortcut", rename it "Zebra2.data"
This way Zebra follows the shortcut to look for its resources. Same for the other plugins.

During the next months I'll work on this a bit more, make the installer even more aware of the issue than it already is and make my stuff deal smoothly with it. Until then please follow the above steps, should you run into this issue.

Cheers,

;) Urs

Additional things to look out for:

- do not keep an extra Zebra2.data folder in Vstplugins, only keep the Zebra2.data shortcut

- if you get a "demo expired" message despite having new codes, delete any occurrance of Zebra2.data/Support/com.u-he.Zebra2.user.txt then restart your host software. If it still comes up, you still have a com.u-he.Zebra2.user.txt on your harddrive (find-remove-restart host). Once the message is gone, enter your registration codes

- if you still have a folder C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\ then please rename it to "Zebra2backup" or similar

I decided to just move my vstplugins folder into my Documents folder and not run into this problem with Uhbik or any other plugs. :)

Filch wrote:I decided to just move my vstplugins folder into my Documents folder and not run into this problem with Uhbik or any other plugs. :)
:tu:

Usually I keep my VSTPlugins folder in the file system root.
Should be a safe bet most of all times.

i just set my vst & daw folders with open permissions

Subz

I just noticed this thread. Let me share what I did. I had noticed there were permission issues with VST Plugins in Program Files the first time I tried to install one in my first Windows 7 64-bit installation.

My solution was not only to keep presets and docs in My Documents, but to create two folders on the root of my C: drive:

VSTPlugins-32
VSTPlugins-64

I've installed everything there as appropriate and point my hosts at what's needed. I also created:

VSTPlugins-32_Alt
, folder for experimental, unstable and/or demo plugins so my main hosts won't access them and cause lengthy re-enumerations. I access them through sub-hosts (Chainer, Bidule, etc...).

VSTPlugins-32_EX, to which I can move plugins if I need to test for stability issues, or retire unused, older or problem dll's that I might still need down the road.

I haven't needed 64-bit versions of these last two yet, but I'll create them as required. The only exceptions to the above are VST3 plugins: both 32 and 64 bit variants typically want to be installed in the Steinberg assigned folders, so I let them do that, since they're only really relevant to Cubendo for now. I may have to change that eventually.

This strategy has worked out well for me so far.

Breeze wrote:I just noticed this thread. Let me share what I did. I had noticed there were permission issues with VST Plugins in Program Files the first time I tried to install one in my first Windows 7 64-bit installation.

My solution was not only to keep presets and docs in My Documents, but to create two folders on the root of my C: drive:

VSTPlugins-32
VSTPlugins-64

I've installed everything there as appropriate and point my hosts at what's needed. I also created:

VSTPlugins-32_Alt
, folder for experimental, unstable and/or demo plugins so my main hosts won't access them and cause lengthy re-enumerations. I access them through sub-hosts (Chainer, Bidule, etc...).

VSTPlugins-32_EX, to which I can move plugins if I need to test for stability issues, or retire unused, older or problem dll's that I might still need down the road.

I haven't needed 64-bit versions of these last two yet, but I'll create them as required. The only exceptions to the above are VST3 plugins: both 32 and 64 bit variants typically want to be installed in the Steinberg assigned folders, so I let them do that, since they're only really relevant to Cubendo for now. I may have to change that eventually.

This strategy has worked out well for me so far.
Thanks for this 'tip'. 8)

I'm getting close to finally loading the Win 7-64 pro I've had sitting around for (seems like) a year, and this closely follows my years old 'Xp' methodology of placing Vsts in the root of C:. I split mine into

Vst_Effects
Vst_Instruments
Vst_Beta

and myriad subfolders for types or catagories, e.g. "Samplers", "Romplers", "Modular", "Strings", "Perc", etc...

Has worked well for me.

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Hi everybody, maybe this is the wrong section but i just have an really weird error..
I just downloaded the demo version of Zebra2, wich is great i believe..
But, after installing i just loaded up the plugin, and there is sound but it dont show the font inside the plugin..
I try'd to install the font, but that didnt work :(
I hope someone can help me!!!

I did test the permission-part, so i copy'd the map Zebra.Data into Documents, made an shortcut, but same error..
Plugin works, no text inside.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/zebralj.png

Windows 7 x64 SP1
FL Studio 10 as well Cubase 6 (In both daws it doesnt work)
Plugin installed as 32 & 64 bit, same troubles.

Greetings,
Barry
Music is a part of life

Hi Barry, I posted an answer in the other thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 90#4882890

Cheers,

;) Urs

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! all of my problems just got fixed! luv this forum :D

does this issue relate to the lack of ability to register the product once you've bought it? The code just keeps saying i've typed it in wrong despite having copied and pasted from the email and removing quotes, i've tried keeping the data file in a seperate folder and my VST folder is already in documents.

Windows 7
Ableton 8.2.8

Tomtaroo wrote:does this issue relate to the lack of ability to register the product once you've bought it? The code just keeps saying i've typed it in wrong despite having copied and pasted from the email and removing quotes, i've tried keeping the data file in a seperate folder and my VST folder is already in documents.

Windows 7
Ableton 8.2.8
No, that shouldn't be it... please send an email to support at u-he dot com and we'll sort it quickly (I just can't do it from my iPad ths weekend)

Alright email sent, sounds like that should be sorted fairly quickly, i'd only heard legends of this level of customer support Urs. I've seen it said at least 5 times in a couple hours of reading through tech support threads but its worth saying again :love:

I fix problems like this with symbolic links.
I have a VST for 32-bit and 64-bit paths on my G: drive in Windows 7.
Here is the batch file that I use for setting up the links.
I put the real data in C:\ProgramData

Code: Select all

mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\ACE.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\ACE.data
mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\Filterscape.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Filterscape.data
mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\MFM2.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\MFM2.data
mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\Uhbik.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Uhbik.data
mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\Zebra2.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Zebra2.data
mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\Bazille.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Bazille.data
mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\Diva.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Diva.data
mklink /D G:\VST-32\u-he\TyrellN6.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\TyrellN6.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\ACE.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\ACE.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\Filterscape.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Filterscape.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\MFM2.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\MFM2.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\Uhbik.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Uhbik.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\Zebra2.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Zebra2.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\Diva.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Diva.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\TyrellN6.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\TyrellN6.data
mklink /D G:\VST-64\u-he\Bazille.data C:\ProgramData\u-he\VSTData\Bazille.data
pause

Return to “u-he”