zebra hz diva filters

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i ve installed the new diva 1.1.demo.
and i ve tried to rebuild some diva patches in zebra hz and what i noticed is :
when i play in diva 3 x osc into the 24db ladder.
you can really feel how the filter gets tortured ...how it gets overloaded and saturated.
when i try that in zebra hz with a few saws osc and the same diva 24db ladder filter i didn t get this saturated overloaded powerfull sound& feel of the filter.

is it just me ?

Urs has said the HZ filters borrowed from Diva aren't exactly the same algorithms.
Urs wrote:As for Diva filters, they are present in ZebraHZ. We are in a conceptual stage for a major Zebra update, and we're thinking of deploying teh technology used in Diva, but not the exact same filters. They have to be stereo for Zebra, the must not use too much CPU and they don't need to be close emulations. So we're hoping to get faster filters with similar impact at the price of less authenticity.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 05#5028805

bmrzycki wrote:Urs has said the HZ filters borrowed from Diva aren't exactly the same algorithms.
Urs wrote:As for Diva filters, they are present in ZebraHZ. We are in a conceptual stage for a major Zebra update, and we're thinking of deploying teh technology used in Diva, but not the exact same filters. They have to be stereo for Zebra, the must not use too much CPU and they don't need to be close emulations. So we're hoping to get faster filters with similar impact at the price of less authenticity.
No, Urs talked here about filters planned in the coming Z3, not ZebraHZ.

ZebraHZ suppose to have the Diva filters.

bmrzycki wrote:Urs has said the HZ filters borrowed from Diva aren't exactly the same algorithms.
[e: like hollo, ] I got a different impression from that - I thought this was about filters planned for Zebra3, not the ZebraHZ filters which are more directly dropped in from Diva. I believe the difference in feel between the synths is something else. There are some features of source hardware which Diva can model with a relatively static signal chain, but Zebra can't in a semi-modular format. (An example: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ck#4861570 ) I'm not real certain but I think there are a few other spots where Diva specializes beyond what's capable in ZebraHZ to match source hardware. Ultimately the same synth patch can't be realized in both Diva and Zebra.

I guess the follow-up is what can be done in ZebraHZ to approximate some of these signal paths, if anything? Maybe this is the kind of question that gets answered per-patch by sound design. I'm tempted to say careful gain-staging and maybe saturation before filters but really haven't done enough with the HZ filters to know :oops:

xh3rv and hollo -- I agree that's a Z3 specific quote. I tried to find one directly related to ZHZ but the more I looked I couldn't. For some reason I recall Urs saying (somewhere) the filters ported from Diva couldn't be exact due to some of Zebra2's design limitations. But the more I try to find that post the more I come up with nothing.

I'll be quiet now and let the real expert chime in when he finds the time. :)

bmrzycki wrote: I'll be quiet now and let the real expert chime in when he finds the time. :)
Same here :)

ZebraHZ filters are identical to Diva filters. Same code. No difference.

The oscillator levels in Zebra may be much higher though than Diva at same setting. You're getting a simple +6dB monosum after all, and I think they are 0dB RMS while Diva is 0dB peak. Thus try Osc volume below 35.00 and compensate by mixer gain.

Urs wrote:...compensate by mixer gain.
Urs means Lane volumes (and Master/Returns and Output).

Thanks for this Urs, Howard - good to know!

The update is working well about saving presets in 2.54/HZ! :tu:

I just found recently 3 new LP filter inside the normal VCF
module. TN6SVF, MS2035, MS20SK.

First i thought they'r normal 2.53 filters,
(i'm almost put them in to the Padsheaven bank),
but now if i understand well, they belong to ZebraHZ.

They come with a lot of power (loudness) and with stereo. :)

Did i miss something, i did not find anything about them in the ZebraHZ manual?

Can you tell something about them?

hollo wrote:Thanks for this Urs, Howard - good to know!

They're also in Zebra 2.5.3 I've noticed (the one that comes with ZebraHZ)

colinssx wrote:
hollo wrote:Thanks for this Urs, Howard - good to know!

They're also in Zebra 2.5.3 I've noticed (the one that comes with ZebraHZ)
They're our little "extra" - one is the TyrellN6 filter, mostly, the other two are early attempts on MS-20 filters. Not accurate, but maybe useful ;)

EsmileZ wrote:i ve installed the new diva 1.1.demo.
and i ve tried to rebuild some diva patches in zebra hz and what i noticed is :
when i play in diva 3 x osc into the 24db ladder.
you can really feel how the filter gets tortured ...how it gets overloaded and saturated.
when i try that in zebra hz with a few saws osc and the same diva 24db ladder filter i didn t get this saturated overloaded powerfull sound& feel of the filter.

is it just me ?
i ve tried again to compare them both. now i ve just ad the waveshaper and boost & "wedge"the osc s with a bit of modulation on the shaper and it has worked out.
after trying and comparing zebra with diva i ve really realised the both are great and different beasts.
i also compared the diva demo with my studio electronics se1x i was really impressed how good diva sounds.

is there a discount for :
new-customer-that-bought-zebra2-and-zebrahz-and-want-to-buy-diva ?

i ve found a bug . well it s not really a bug but in zebra hz you can move the resonator window a bit it s not fixed ;)

I have noticed Diva (demo) sound bigness too. Even if filter is fully opened. I tryed to use similar waveform in Zebra, but sound is much lesser if compared to Diva. May be someone from U-he can reveal some secrets and tell how it is possible to achieve the same bigness in Zebra? What are additional elements in Diva signal chain? may be some hidden hpf plus shapers?

EsmileZ wrote:i ve found a bug . well it s not really a bug but in zebra hz you can move the resonator window a bit it s not fixed ;)
Yeah... lil mishap, but benign ;)

Return to “u-he”