save midi learn settings in patch

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to save the midi learn settings in a patch?
I'm doing a lot of patches at current and always get confusions with different midi controler assignments.
For example I like to assign Return1 to the ModWheel in some patches, a cutoff or threshhold in others.
Once I midi learn Return1 to ModWheel in one patch, it is globally assigned in all patches, once I unlearn it, the same for all.
Is that a limitation of the unlimited zebra or am I doing something wrong?

No, they're global. This was asked for multiple times already (if you've searched this forum before posting you'd find several threads about this issue). At some point u-he will implement per-patch MIDI learn, but it is unclear when exactly.

Sorry, maybe I was to dumb to use the search engine correctly..
didn't see it
Thanks for the reply

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm No, they're global. This was asked for multiple times already (if you've searched this forum before posting you'd find several threads about this issue). At some point u-he will implement per-patch MIDI learn, but it is unclear when exactly.
Hi, may I re-open this 2014 thread again?
Now it is 2021 and unfortunately Midi learn has been stayed global so far in u-he's world. EvilDraggon wrote it had been asked "multiple time"s before, so ... there already seemed to be a need for it.

I use Ableton Live's instrument racks a lot, especially for concerts. It is impossible to use two or more instances of DIVA linked to hardware devices without any complications caused by double occupancies of the controllers. This is not only to u-he: as far as I know Ableton does not allow to go into an instrument rack using other MIDI channels than omni and 1 (which would be helpful in this case). Maybe this will be changed in vers. 11 at the end of this month, dunno.
However, it would be fantastic to see Midi learn implemented per patch in u-he software instruments verysoon. We're living in times of NKI, we see a lot of hardware controllers out there with a lot of knobs ... and of course they would love to tweak some more instances of the almighty enchanting DIVA at the same time.

It doesn't seem it's going to happen "very soon", there are more important things to deal with beforehand: Apple Silicon support, Hive 2.1 update, Uhbik 2.0 update, then Zebra 3.

We just think "MIDI Learn per patch" is going to be a support nightmare. Too much confusion between global and per patch assignments, our inbox will overflow with complaints.

Instead we've put - literally - years of effort into macro controls, which align with concepts such as NKS and allow for a much better and more detailed control per patch. We furthermore made general MIDI control changes assignable in a very customisable and flexible manner, which align with MPE and which again offer more control and benefit per patch than simple MIDI Learn.

Lyhrus wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm It is impossible to use two or more instances of DIVA linked to hardware devices without any complications caused by double occupancies of the controllers. This is not only to u-he: as far as I know Ableton does not allow to go into an instrument rack using other MIDI channels than omni and 1 (which would be helpful in this case).
Might the following do what you're looking for?

- eg. 2x Diva instances in a rack
- Create 2x empty MIDI tracks next to it
- Map 1st track: "INPUT" eg. MIDI channel 1, "OUTPUT" to the 1st Diva instance, MIDI channel 1
- Map 2nd track: "INPUT" eg. MIDI channel 2, "OUTPUT" to the 2nd Diva instance, MIDI channel 1
- Either use monitoring "IN" or "AUTO", depending upon whether you want to have to annoyingly ctrl+click to arm multiple tracks (no shift-click to arm AFAIK)

(And you can of course even select specific hardware controllers for the input mapping. Group the tracks together to keep it neat.)

Works for me with multiple instances of a synth in a rack, and controllers like the Faderfox PC12 - lovely way to perform

Just speaking for myself here, and we all have our preferences, but I personally hate per patch MIDI learn. I've got a System-8 I use as a controller so it maps things very well and I want those to be retained globally. Per patch is a pain when things are constantly changing (at least TAL let's you lock). I get why people with fewer knobs or whatever might want to adjust per patch, but I think the better long-term solution is macro knobs as Urs already described. Maybe we'll see more Hive-like macro knobs work their way into other parts of the product line.

Yeah I bet all of u-he stuff gets NKS'd eventually. :)

Thanks to everyone. Seems to me that I asked u-he to be more up-to-date linking their software with today's hardware knobs, but I myself sticked to a rather old-fashioned technique like Midi learn - instead of e.g. using makro controls in Live via 'Configure'!
I never planned to appear in u-he's nightmares, so I'm happy to follow Urs' pointer.
However, thanks to octaveup for his workaround, I keep it mind anyway.
Thanks to Funkybot's Evil Twin as well, though I may indicate that Faderfox's PC12 is one of those devices not with fewer but rather with a lot of knobs ... (72)

Return to “u-he”