RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsolete317542
KVRist
Topic Starter
253 posts since 1 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:48 am

-*-
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:38 am, edited 12 times in total.

valerian_777
Banned
1181 posts since 24 Jun, 2014 from Giza Plateau

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:57 am

Thats an excellent "down to earth" approach as we all know how spacey the original MFM skin looks (no judging). Your skin is a great alternative to it. Congrats from me! :clap:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Breeze
KVRAF
1904 posts since 13 Oct, 2002

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:09 pm

I have to second to above opinion. It's a lot more inline with the functional look of Zebra. Actually, it looks like this should have been the original skin and the original skin the mod! Excellent work, and thanks!

aMUSEd
KVRAF
34009 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Where is the keyboard?

Obsolete317542
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm very happy with the praise :)
aMUSEd wrote:Where is the keyboard?
I took it out. For me it was nothing more than a waste of space. All the functionality, like portamento and transpose, is still there, but the keyboard is replaced by the more prominently featured MIDI LED. I'd be very sorry if this kept you from using this skin, but there's nothing I can do about it :(

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6762 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Thank you, it looks very good.
I liked the circular display of the original GUI (it made sense, and it is not so common), but i was always struggling to understand the signal flow and find my own path with the GUI.
Your skin is much more "logical" (I like funky stuff -a lot-, but your skin make me understand better MFM2).
Now... why did I sold it last year ! ? :dog:

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Eclectus wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm very happy with the praise :)
aMUSEd wrote:Where is the keyboard?
I took it out. For me it was nothing more than a waste of space. All the functionality, like portamento and transpose, is still there, but the keyboard is replaced by the more prominently featured MIDI LED. I'd be very sorry if this kept you from using this skin, but there's nothing I can do about it :(
Well that is nowhere near all the functionality - the keyboard is pretty useful (not to say unique in a delay plugin). But up to you.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
22795 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:43 pm

This is very neat - it does look a lot more functional than the original GUI. I feel it goes well with drzhnn's Zebra Redux skin. Perhaps it could be skinned to match it? :)

Obsolete317542
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:48 pm

sinkmusic wrote:Thank you, it looks very good.
I liked the circular display of the original GUI (it made sense, and it is not so common), but i was always struggling to understand the signal flow and find my own path with the GUI.
Your skin is much more "logical" (I like funky stuff -a lot-, but your skin make me understand better MFM2).
Now... why did I sold it last year ! ? :dog:
I'm sorry to hear that :( Actually, I was in the same boat as you. I was really struggling to get a mental picture of the machine and I just couldn't. I was about to ask for a license transfer when I decided - as a last resort - to try skinning it. Now I'm glad that I have it. I have been discovering massively nice features of MFM2 that I didn't know before!

As to my layout, I know that it lacks originality. But I showed a comparison between the original and this skin to a friend of mine. He had the same reaction as you: the circular design of the original is a really nice idea, but it hampers usability... My skin looks a lot less creative, but I think it does look professional. Like MFM 2 is more of a tool this way, instead of a really cool toy.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
22795 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Eclectus wrote:I had to do it this way because I couldn't get theme support to work on MFM 2. Therefore I had to edit MFM2.txt and MFM2default.txt to add my skin to the list. Those are the files that will be overwritten.
Did you try it this way?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5849508

(Works for me. Your skin file just needs to be named MFM2.txt, MFM2default.txt needs to say THEME name='Spaced Out', and that's it - your skin can reside in Support/Themes folder!)

BTW about the keyboard, I think if you rearrange the controls in the bottom middle you could at least put a smaller one there...?
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rexlapin
KVRian
528 posts since 2 Jan, 2007

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:07 pm

I am on Mac and I am not seeing a Data folder where I expected it to be and I swear
it used to be (under Application Support/u-he/MFM2). Anyone have an idea where I
would extract it. I would like to see if it has a more functional workflow for me.
Best,
Scott

Howard
KVRAF
4088 posts since 23 May, 2004 from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:38 pm

I have this skin crashing Reaper... probably because I don't understand the EvilDragon instructions yet.

I want all my themes in the "Themes" folder, so I copied the "Data" folder from the unzipped skin into "Themes" and renamed it "SpacedOut". What next? (sorry for being a bit dumb here)

Obsolete317542
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:47 pm

aMUSEd wrote:Well that is nowhere near all the functionality - the keyboard is pretty useful (not to say unique in a delay plugin). But up to you.
I both agree and disagree :D I was just thinking that nowadays a lot of synths come without keyboard. Almost every DAW has a keyboard built in... So, if synths can do without it, then surely a delay could too? Anyway, that was my reasoning, but I agree that it both looks cool and is easy to have it where you need it.
EvilDragon wrote:This is very neat - it does look a lot more functional than the original GUI. I feel it goes well with drzhnn's Zebra Redux skin. Perhaps it could be skinned to match it? :)
Thank you! Feel free to experiment - I consolidated the colors at the top of the skin. It shouldn't be too hard to change the looks, I think. For now, I will not have a go at it myself because I like the current color scheme. Maybe in the future?
EvilDragon wrote:Did you try it this way?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5849508
Yes I did, and it works. I was just thinking that it was easier this way. But I think you're right and I should change my package. It's just that the scripts and images have to go to a different folder, the rest could stay the same. Good suggestion!
EvilDragon wrote:BTW about the keyboard, I think if you rearrange the controls in the bottom middle you could at least put a smaller one there...?
Possibly, possibly. I'll have to think about it. If people would not use my skin because of it, then I should at least try to find a solution... The one in the middle would be a really small one though :)

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Eclectus wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Well that is nowhere near all the functionality - the keyboard is pretty useful (not to say unique in a delay plugin). But up to you.
I both agree and disagree :D I was just thinking that nowadays a lot of synths come without keyboard. Almost every DAW has a keyboard built in... So, if synths can do without it, then surely a delay could too?
Yeah but the problem is this; if I am using my keyboard to play an instrument fed through the delay, I can't at the same time use it to send midi notes to the delay - that's where having the builtin keyboard comes in handy.

Compyfox
KVRAF
14602 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Definitely more streamlined. This is the very reason why I'd love to see skinning in pretty much every tool these days.

Now if I only had a copy of MFM.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “u-he”