Presswerk 3rd Beta (now Rev 3225, Dec 9th)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Urs
u-he
Topic Starter
26943 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:09 am

Update: Rev 3262 is available here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=427596

#---

Updated again: Rev 3225 (December 9th) adds presets by Bob Humid and 3ee, marks last milestone before release candidate.

This version also adds a skin without "shadow parameters". Some people found the red glows that depict the invisible parameter states confusing. We would like to know if not seeing them is easier to work with before we decide how to go on, i.e. which alternatives to present.

We've also fixed a lot of issues, I'll update this post once we got the final list.

#---

Hi all,

We've been working really hard on this. Here's a new beta of Presswerk, with a vast number of improvements and most niggles fixed. But also, after reading all the feedback and carefully weighing pros and cons, we decided to rework the usability concept. This meant dropping the "vintage views" we had in the first beta. Here's why:

A note about 'vintage hardware views' included in the first public beta
We received plenty of positive feedback about the alternative views, praising their ease of use. They were conceived to reflect common studio habits and parameter sets that people know and love. We thought we had stated clearly enough that the alternative views are only simplified representations of the main plugin.
However, several users were under the impression that they were emulations of ancient hardware, and pointed out that they don’t sound quite as close to the originals as certain dedicated emulations.

In light of this misunderstanding, we recently decided to...

• Remove these three 'vintage hardware views’. Already done - easy!
• Add other views later, tailored for different instruments or studio tasks such as vocals, individual drums, drum buss, mixdown, limiting etc.. This will take some time to get right, to comply with u-he quality standards. We will include them in an update as soon as they are finished and have been thoroughly tested. Promise!

We’re sorry for any inconvenience, and would like to assure our customers that existing presets / projects will not be adversely affected by these changes.

Nevertheless, the new Link concept is IMHO much better than the "both channels" concept we had in the original beta. Now we can refine the UI even further, we can step back and design much better workflows over time, without being bound to whatever hardware there was.

Enjoy,

- Urs

Presswerk3225Mac.zip
Presswerk3225Win.zip

(temporary) serial no.:
“Beta Tester”
"3GC8O-SLHM1-MYP6-0420-2NXM"

Here's Michael's comprehensive list of fixes, changes & issues:

Beta Testfocus:

Look out for:

- Recall issues (All Patches need to save/load perfectly!)
- Latency issues (check for perfect cancellation in various Hosts, use SC Delay etc…)
- Issues related to the new LINK behavior (Check concept & functionality)
- Automation Issues
- General AUDIO & GUI issues

Improvements:

new in 3225:
- In M/S Mode, the Inputs now control M/S instead of L/R
- Added new presets (by 3ee & Bob Humid) & folder structure
- Added 2nd skin ('Original' & 'Original Plus') Plus = indicators for knobs & buttons show state of not visible channel
- Preset browser: Repositioned "Close" button

before:
- Redesigned workflow
- Repositioned HQ button (main LCD panel)
- Added Whole-State Undo (undo for accidental mode or preset changes)
- Added stuff to the manual
- Improved latency reporting to Host
- Changed BOTH to LINK (non-destructive behavior) and added a Parameter Feedback Overlay
- Renamed ANLG button to DPR (DUAL PHASE ROTATION)
- 'SHIFT + knob' on Dry:Wet, Int:Ext & percentage knobs now shows fine resolution in data display
- Improved on/off transition on bypass click from 3 to 8Hz (less flanging but might be more 'clicky' again; it's a trade-off)
- Improved VU behaviour

FIXED:

[1569] Preset name may change on recall (Ableton Live)
[1554] Long Preset folder-names are cut (Improved Browser)
[1600] Expand and SoftClip not linked
[1599] Sidechain detection and Monitor not accessible when LINK is active
[1598] Label-overlays when LINK is active
[1597] LINK MODE: Parameter jumps (with certain Presets)
[1593] LINK not keeping state when switching between CH1+CH2
[1596] Parameter Overlay may overlay Preset Browser
[1653] Recall issues related to BOTH (The Fix sets all affected presets to same values for both channels if a preset was saved with "both" on)
[1648] ALT/CMD not working (allows to rotate linked knobs in opposite directions)
[1606] Recall not working correctly
[1532] Bypass knob issues clicks
[1603] Mix values show 100:100 but should show 50:50
[1569] Preset name not kept for certain Presets
[234] Knob movement is not consistent on all knobs
[1601] LINK mode: Midi learn, Mouse rastering, Lock not available
[1053] Pro Tools 11 crashes: Wasn't us. Will be fixed by Avid in the next PT 11
[1601] LINK mode: x y panel menu not available (set LINK to OFF to access the menu)

Known issues:

[1657] Presswerk doesn't appear in Wavelab 6.1.1 32bit
[1096] Digital Performer 8: Bypassing AU kills audio on same track
[1602] Preset name abbreviated when reopening GUI (VST2 only)
[1557] Colour glitches on Windows when automating
[1420] Crash on quitting Host or closing GUI when having multiple dialogs open (Some Hosts, Win only)
[1491] Flickery x y compression panel OS X / Panel looks bad at GUI sizes ≠ 100% (Windows)
[1367] VST 32 Bit: GUI close button not available after having used text input boxes (Mac only)
[1093] Ableton Live: VST 32Bit GUI sizes are not remembered when reopening GUI
[1518] Data Display glitch when typing into text box with embedded GUI (Reaper, Mac)
[1385] Audio Units: Mapping 2 parameters to a Macro in Ableton is only moving 1
[1399] User manual not installed (Windows)

To Dos:

… add new views
…fix several bugs
[1452] Finalize Presswerk Manual

Alexander_D
KVRist
159 posts since 7 Sep, 2014

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:26 am

Great news! Already bought this sweet compressor. Will check the new version! Thanks!

V0RT3X
KVRAF
8444 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 am

sweet! gotta check this out again.
:borg:

kj.metissage
KVRist
292 posts since 20 Feb, 2014 from München

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:30 am

Great ! Gonna test this weekend.

kj.metissage
KVRist
292 posts since 20 Feb, 2014 from München

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:49 am

Finally gave it a quick try !

I like the new red lines around the knobs.

And I think that HQ should be enabled by default.

paterpeter
KVRAF
1889 posts since 15 Oct, 2008 from Germany

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:39 pm

The needle still gets stuck as soon as no audio is running through the plugin. Is this by design? I've reported this earlier (here and by mail).

Phil999
KVRist
213 posts since 26 Sep, 2013 from Cavardiras, CH

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:53 pm

many if not most plugins have this behavior. I don't think it's by design, it's just normal with plugins.

It reminds us that plugins are emulations of hardware. Plugins may sound similar, but behave differently. In the analog world, a VU needle always goes to zero when no signal is present. In the virtual world of plugins, such a behavior has to be programmed.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus 32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

woodsdenis
KVRAF
1722 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:59 pm

The issue I hi lighted in the previous beta regarding the M/S issue still remains.
With M/S mode on, unlink, select Channel one (mid). You can the compress, set Output etc and it rightly affects the mid, except the Input is still in L/R mode. Increasing/decreasing this affects the Left channel

Same applies to Ch2(side) very thing works as it should except the input which is in L/R.

Surely in M/S mode the input on Ch1 should be the Mid attenuating the Compressor. ?

Also suggestion, could the preset close button be top left as opposed to bottom left, seems a better and more intuitive place for it.
Mac Pro
Cubase 12, Ableton Live 11

Turello
KVRAF
3305 posts since 6 Jul, 2012 from Sick-cily

Post Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:52 am

Tried and... Very good but IMO perhaps need to avoid latency and reduce CPU use to be used also in single channels on multiple instances and not only on master...

u-u-u
KVRian
1302 posts since 31 Mar, 2014

Post Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Phil999 wrote:many if not most plugins have this behavior. I don't think it's by design, it's just normal with plugins.

It reminds us that plugins are emulations of hardware. Plugins may sound similar, but behave differently. In the analog world, a VU needle always goes to zero when no signal is present. In the virtual world of plugins, such a behavior has to be programmed.
Yes! But hey, maybe there can be a toggle option for the ones who can't live without the needle going back. All others will just let it turned off ('why consuming DSP power for no effect on the sound?') and everybody's happy!!! (besides the devs/gui designers :P)

PremEye
KVRist
52 posts since 27 Sep, 2013 from Hawaii

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:59 am

Hello-
I have a question...
On a lot of compressors there is often a HPF so that you can mix back in lower frequencies. Example....on drum compression, mix back in the original kick.
How would I do this on Presswork?
I have been experimenting with the sidechain (EXT 100:0) and filters. Is this correct?
I am also really liking the HP in the mix section to mix back in High Freq. Very cool!
Thanks,
-Prem

sascha
KVRian
1110 posts since 2 Oct, 2001 from Berlin, Germany

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 pm

u-u-u wrote:
Phil999 wrote:many if not most plugins have this behavior. I don't think it's by design, it's just normal with plugins.

Yes! But hey, maybe there can be a toggle option for the ones who can't live without the needle going back. All others will just let it turned off ('why consuming DSP power for no effect on the sound?') and everybody's happy!!! (besides the devs/gui designers :P)
Just so that we know: in what host exactly does the needle refuse to go back? We implemented solutions for hosts without processing buffers when the sequencer stands still. In all our tests, this always worked perfectly.
So, some more info on how to reproduce it would be great.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

paterpeter
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:54 pm

sascha wrote:
u-u-u wrote:

Just so that we know: in what host exactly does the needle refuse to go back? We implemented solutions for hosts without processing buffers when the sequencer stands still. In all our tests, this always worked perfectly.
So, some more info on how to reproduce it would be great.
I've tried it in Reaper and Studio One 2.

Consider something like this:
presswerk.PNG
First two measures: short loud notes (no release) with pauses (=silence) in between.
Second two measures: short loud notes followed by rather quiet notes.

So the audio looks like this:
presswerk-audio.PNG
When this is sent through Presswerk it looks like this:

I find it quite irritating that the GR stays up during the pauses between the notes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phil999
KVRist
213 posts since 26 Sep, 2013 from Cavardiras, CH

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:16 pm

me I haven't tested it yet, I just wrote about a general observation with plugins. I admit I don't care about virtual needle indicators in bypass mode or when the sequencer/host is stopped. There are other things that are important (for me).
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus 32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

paterpeter
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Phil999 wrote:me I haven't tested it yet, I just wrote about a general observation with plugins. I admit I don't care about virtual needle indicators in bypass mode or when the sequencer/host is stopped. There are other things that are important (for me).
NB: what I describe happens during playback, not while bypassed or when transport is stopped.

Return to “u-he”