Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've spent some time recently thinking about things I'd like to see in Diva In the hope one day it will see a version 2.

Some MIDI Assigning Stuff
Diva poses some unique challenges when trying to map it to a hardware controller. Some of those issues may be easier to improve than others, but this is an area that matters a lot to me, and where I'd like to see some improvements.

1. Separate the Fine, Coarse, and Octave tuning controls. At the very list, separate fine tuning. These parameters being linked makes mapping these to hardware difficult. EDIT: this was partially user error on my side, as explained on page 2. However, I'd love to see the Fine tune knobs of Repro-1 added to the Diva modules to help alleviate some of this challenge, and a separating of the Octave and Tune knobs. If users want to do long pitch-bends, then they could alway use MPE like features to do so (create a MIDI channel for the note you want to bend, and do a long pitch bend).

1A. There should be an option in all U-he synths to set the center value of a knob at 64. Currently it's fixed at 63, which is understandable, but some synths/controllers with detented center values transmit 64 as the center value. This knocks Diva out of tune. I think this could be handled as a preference, or a checkbox/column added to the MIDI Learn table so it can be set per-parameter.

2. Would love to see Oscillator waveform selection standardized so they could be mapped to a knob. How would that work? Well, for some osc modules, no change is needed. For others, say the Jupiter 8, have Osc 1 waveform selection work so that when mapped to a knob, it would cycle through all the possible waveform permutations for Osc 1. Same for Osc 2. This would mean that all Osc waveforms could be mapped to at most, 3 CC's. Make this an optional mode.

EDIT - #3 already works via MIDI learn.
3. MIDI Assignable Previous/Next to change Oscillator, HP, FIlter, and Envelopes. Would be nice to have the option to assign a button or knob to cycle through the various modules rather than having to use a mouse.

4. The ability to assign an additional parameter to (or reassign) the Modwheel. I've been using a System-8 as an analog synth controller, and it's got two big short-comings: the lack of aftertouch and the trigger style modwheel. Some synths allow you to assign a MIDI CC to control their modwheel, and that functionality would be welcome in the U-he synths.

Sound Related

5. Faster Envelopes. The envelopes on Diva feel slow, and that may just be how they're scaled on the UI. I'd like to see the first 50% of the envelopes equate to a relatively fast envelope speed, whereas right now, 50% is pretty slow. Either that, or maybe there's just room for a faster type of envelope.

6. More effects, drag and drop order. Would be nice to get some of the new stuff from Repro in Diva, especially with a similar UI and drag and drop for the effect chains.

7. Optional "Snap" for Minimoog Osc Waveforms. Would love a modifier to hold down to snap the Osc waveforms on the Moog for more authenticity.

Advanced Preset Browsing

8. Option to filter by tags. There's already a tagging system buit in, it would be great if the Preset Browser allowed to filter by tag, where all presets with said tags would get pulled in and shown.

9. Option to filter by author. Similar to above.

10. Option to show all favorites, then add filters in addition to that.

11. Option to add the tags on the same screen/window that the preset info gets saved.

12. Text-based search - Example: I know part of a preset name, but can't remember what folder it's in. [added 12/25/16]

Added! :tu:

Miscellaneous

13. Common parameter values (ms, hz, note duration vs. 0-100). This is one I brought up in another thread recently and I know it's on the to-do list for all U-he products, but I hope that this is done before a Diva 2 release, or at least, as part of it. I basically just want to see hz used when adjusting frequency, or ms used for delay times when not sync'd to host (when note values would be shown). If U-he went as nuts as to show ms for ADSR envelopes, that'd be welcome too but probably not necessary.

14. Improved MPE support. Diva's already very good in this regard, but she'd still ideally get CC74 support on a per channel basis, and the pitchbend range extended to 48 semi-tones. Added! :tu:

Maybe just release velocity support now.

15. More common parameter values. Show delay times in ms or note values, LFO times in hz or note values, filter frequencies in Hz, ADSR times in ms would be nice, etc.

16. The ability to create different MIDI maps/profiles for different controllers. Example, I might have be at my Roland System-8, which has one mapping in Diva, but later on, I might move to my Rise, where there may be conflicts with my System-8 MIDI map. It would be cool if I could save a profile for each controller and load them as needed. [added 12/25/2016]
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Hehehe, I just hope we don't need to create a "Diva 2 Info" thread that lasts for 100+ pages.

Good points though.

Thank you Funkybot for paving the way, I'm jumping in.
I just hope this thread will remain realistic. :D
  • Scalable enveloppes with more modulators than keyfollow and velocity (ala bazille/ace)
  • A mod mapper (ditto)
  • A ramp (ditto)
  • A green penguin (ditto ?)
  • Another "math" modifier like add/multiply: something strange like a modulo maybe, or a XOR, dunno, anyway, a new modulation toy to experiment with :)
  • Possibility to include in the same signal chain both the HP AND the Feedback module ?
  • Extra vintage FX, like an harmonizer maybe ?
  • I stumbled on an old diva thread the other day where Urs mentioned he loved the craziness of the polyvoks filter. If by any chance, some draft code exist, you know, that would be something amazing !

I'd like to see, in the effects section, an emulation of the Polymoog Resonator. That's my 2 cents.

zebra 2.8 first.
Last edited by andresnol on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

No need for Diva 2. Diva is already great as it is. Only thing id love to see more osc and filter models (propheeeet) and ability to have some "bright" mode feature on sound. Diva has some sorts of own "dull/unlcean" kind of sound wich isnt bad for certain but limits the use for certain sounds in the song :-)

For example JP8000 osc in divine mode and with cleanest filter doesnt sound as clean and crisp as real JP. I dont know maybe it has something to do with FL studio processing uhe plugins wheres hive sounds different in other hosts :-)

andresnol wrote:zebra 2.8 first.
Agreed.
But it's not forbidden to dream out loud :)

RedChameau wrote:
But it's not forbidden to dream out loud :)
Not if it turns out to be a 4 year dream :lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: 1. Separate the Fine, Coarse, and Octave tuning controls. At the very list, separate fine tuning. These parameters being linked makes mapping these to hardware difficult.

3. MIDI Assignable Previous/Next to change Oscillator, HP, FIlter, and Envelopes. Would be nice to have the option to assign a button or knob to cycle through the various modules rather than having to use a mouse.
I don't understand.
Regarding 1., if CC15 controls osc1 Octave and CC16 controls osc1 Fine, the two CC's affect osc1 tune independently, no?
Regarding 3., maybe I misunderstand, but the oscillator type (Minimoog, Digital, MS20, etc.) is midi learnable. I'm pretty sure I tried it and was surprised that changing modules via CC works.

bg wrote:I don't understand.
Regarding 1., if CC15 controls osc1 Octave and CC16 controls osc1 Fine, the two CC's affect osc1 tune independently, no?
Try it out. If you look at the parameter names you'll see that Osc 2 just has a single Tune2 parameter. So while we're seeing 2 or 3 different knobs on the UI, on the back-end Diva just sees a single parameter. So making a fine adjustment via a MIDI CC doesn't turn the Osc2 Fine control from min to max like you'd expect, it cycles through course and octave tuning as well. Honestly, it's my biggest pet peeve with Diva.
bg wrote: Regarding 3., maybe I misunderstand, but the oscillator type (Minimoog, Digital, MS20, etc.) is midi learnable. I'm pretty sure I tried it and was surprised that changing modules via CC works.
You know what, it does! Thanks.

bg wrote: I don't understand.
Regarding 3., maybe I misunderstand, but the oscillator type (Minimoog, Digital, MS20, etc.) is midi learnable. I'm pretty sure I tried it and was surprised that changing modules via CC works.
Yep... but...

We used to distinguish between MIDI and host automation. We've always thought of MIDI as a means to sound design and host automation as a means of production. Stuff like oscillator type etc were hidden from host automation because automation can create crackles and CPU spikes. The oscillator tuning is down to just 1 automatable parameter so in a production one can sweep it all the way, while MIDI Learn gives you the freedom of choice (per knob, or one for all).

So far so good, as long as MIDI is used for sound design and host automation for production.

But then came a breed of hardware controllers that integrate with hosts by using automation protocols instead of MIDI. That screws it up to some degree. So in future we have to compromise on both ends to make people happy.

Urs wrote:Hehehe, I just hope we don't need to create a "Diva 2 Info" thread that lasts for 100+ pages.

Good points though.
Is Diva 2 set in stone or we gonna have some improvements like filter drive, elka filter etc in regular Diva first?
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
Urs wrote:Hehehe, I just hope we don't need to create a "Diva 2 Info" thread that lasts for 100+ pages.

Good points though.
Is Diva 2 set in stone or we gonna have some improvements like filter drive, elka filter etc in regular Diva first?
Either options are fine with me today. I wouldn't dare to set things in stone just yet.

Urs wrote: Either options are fine with me today. I wouldn't dare to set things in stone just yet.
Well both is also might be an option.
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”