Survey comment

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Urs,

Just a quick comments on two of the questions.

It asked if we use multiple computers. There are lots of scenarios here. For me, I use VEP with two slaves. But, I don't use uhe stuff portable on multiple "run around" computers ..

The use of portable devices to "make music" ...
I had a hard time with that one. I don't use them as in softsynths, drummachines etc... I do use them as controllers. So, I put NO even though I do use them ...
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Ok, thanks - we'll keep that in mind for future surveys.

We certainly meant to ask for multiple computers with our stuff, and by "make music" we certainly meant synth apps.

In any case, we're looking for trends, so if anyone answer it this way or that way, once we have a couple of thousand replies, we'll get a better picture regardless.

Also, there's overlap with previous surveys, so we're not just looking at now but also into the future with this.

Urs wrote:Ok, thanks - we'll keep that in mind for future surveys.

We certainly meant to ask for multiple computers with our stuff, and by "make music" we certainly meant synth apps.

In any case, we're looking for trends, so if anyone answer it this way or that way, once we have a couple of thousand replies, we'll get a better picture regardless.

Also, there's overlap with previous surveys, so we're not just looking at now but also into the future with this.
:tu: perfect ... I know it's hard to ask simple, meaningful questions with Boolean responses. Just thought I'd throw gas on the info fire. And I forgot to explain that I have Bazille, Diva and Pro-1 in my remote VEP templates. So, I still think my "yes" answer was correct.

And, based on your explanation, my "no" answer was correct for mobile devices ...

thanks man!

I have to say that the Subscription service choice was a bit worrying to me. A number of vendors have been floating, or have already chosen this option. This is a concern, as not many of us can afford to pay out a lot monthly and this would affect the range of products we could choose, especially if we had a fair number of different product ranges.

It is certainly true that I don't want every instrument or effect that vendors develop. u-he is one of the few that I have already purchased everything. Some developers are good at certain things and others, something else.

I want the freedom to choose and to own the instruments I buy to future proof my projects, which in the event of relinquishing the subscription would not be the case. If you were to run subscription as a choice, (between that and buying), that might be a different matter. Then the subscription price would have to depend upon how many instruments or effects you already own.

There is something confusing in there: You ask if we want to see extended versions of free synths, but then protoverb is also on the list that becomes visible when clicking yes ... :-)

Cheers and best vibes to the u-he team! :tu:

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

silhouette1 wrote:I have to say that the Subscription service choice was a bit worrying to me
Same here, hopefuly U-he wount go subscribtion way.

I think its actually even worth the hassle of the hardware synths and fx provides then using plugins that are subscribtion based.

Elektronisch wrote:
silhouette1 wrote:I have to say that the Subscription service choice was a bit worrying to me

I think its actually even worth the hassle of the hardware synths and fx provides then using plugins that are subscribtion based.
that's why you have surveys :D What if 12873912873123 people say ... the only reason we don't use uhe synths is because you don't offer a subscription?

I don't expect that to happen, but you would be surprised how often the things that drive your personal business decisions are counterproductive for an actual business.

Elektronisch wrote:

If all the software I like to use went subscription... then I would go all hardware.

silhouette1 wrote:I have to say that the Subscription service choice was a bit worrying to me.
A few days ago a guy behind a subscription based service said to me, (half?) jokingly "you'll go out of business". I need a reality check on this.

I'm confident it'll come out in our favour (against subscription).

We're not even talking "rent-to-own"... we're talking cloud crap.
pdxindy wrote:If all the software I like to use went subscription... then I would go all hardware.
If the whole software world ends up based on subscription, u-he will become a hardware company.

Urs wrote: A few days ago a guy behind a subscription based service said to me, (half?) jokingly "you'll go out of business". I need a reality check on this.
I work in enterprise logistics software ... and from that perspective I think that guy is correct. I'm not so sure about niche usercentric applications though. Regardless of the results of the poll, which I think will be flawed due to an in built bias against subscriptions by your existing user base, I'd really be interested in how the thinking plays out.

Disclosure: I'm also against subscription for this type of product, but I think it is inevitable. There are product types where subscription makes perfect sense ... IMO VSTi are not it. But again ... personal bias in play.
If the whole software world ends up based on subscription, u-he will become a hardware company.
best quote in awhile urs :)

I wonder how long the current subscription bubble will actually hold.
Adobe does it the worst way possible and can be made responsible for giving it a really bad name. Not being able to access your own work unless you pay basically forever is a kind of slavery a la "Selling my soul to the company store".
There are some rent-to-own systems (Allegorithmic Substance for example) that are at least fair, since you can keep what you paid for, so you do not lose access to your work and you can stop and restart payments.

The subscription system may actually work for companies and studios, since there the regular payments may be easier to account for.
But for private users and freelancers I think it's a dangerous development, since it adds up quickly as constant costs. And if you can no longer buy stuff normally, it may even become rather annoying and problematic.

Definitely not for me. I don't have a single subscription of this kind in my life and don't plan to.

It's also interesting how for instance Affinity Photo and Designer thrive on all the people who think Adobes idea of cloud subscription is crap.

Don't subscribe to the hype :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Can you imagine? U-he hardware would be awesome.

I DESPISE software subscription on so many levels, cost and forced upgrades are the main two. But cancellation of the service is also a threat.

I speak from experience because I have things like ms office and slate (which has the added aggravation of ilok crap). I'll be cancelling slate and buying satin and ubik (not sure thats spelled right) because u-he products sound awesome and stand the test of time.

So I'm glad to hear that u-he would rather build hardware than offer subscription.

My #1 suggestion after RePro1/5 effects plugin versions... After Octave Cat....Voyetra Eight :wink:

synth_punk wrote:My #1 suggestion after Prepro1/5 effects plugin versions... After Octave Cat....Voyetra Eight :wink:
We'll see... tbh the Cat project got stuck the moment we gave in to the "WE WANT POLY!!!" reaction on Repro-1. Cat was put aside, poly for Repro took focus. After that I went Zebra 3, as planned, and not many resources are available for any Cat development. Particularly, after two years of emulation work, everyone involved is happy to do something else for a while. I still hope for it to happen, but I don't feel like ordering my employees to do something their not into right now. It'll come back.

Block Chains will redefine things like subscriptions. The financial model you know and hate will be gone in 10 to 15 years. Banks, Ebay things like that should be crapping their pants.

Anyhow, just because there are mostly bad subscription options, doesn't mean subscriptions are a bad idea. I actually find the $99 a year for 3 users for office to be absolutely worth it. And, it is actually as cheap or cheaper than trying to buy an "owned" product over time. People keep trying to treat software applications like boxes of pencils or a sofa. They are not analogous purchases.

Return to “u-he”