Just found my cracked plugin listed on the web

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

Good to know all this.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:37 pm Last year or so a good developer had a meltdown because they found their product cracked. That episode eroded the company and the products to the point they are almost gone. Not because people cracked it. But the reaction to it. Dont let it affect you
From what I remember, it was the sales falling abruptly after the crack that caused any "meltdown" and eroded the company, not "the reaction to it".

In my experience a crack for a product means a sales drop of around 25%.
What helps is to keep the first 3 pages in google clean and to remove the stuff from the clickhosters.
We're doing this with the help of https://link-busters.com/

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:52 am We're doing this with the help of https://link-busters.com/
They look interesting. So you’ve seen a difference after using them? They are worth the cost?

I manually do search google and ebay for my stuff once per month and submit the links to linkbusters. After this you can regularly see sales raise around 20%.
It's definitely worth the cost.

They don’t search for you???

They do - I assume mostly with automated web-crawlers. But additonaly to this I also do search manually once per month and submit links to them. If you pay a higher fee you can also let them do the complete work.

Here in the UK we tend not to see cracks listed on Google searches (certainly not in the top few pages). The problem is when people use alternative search engines. A quick search on Google for "kontakt vst" never returned any links to cracks in the first 5 pages (couldn't be bothered with more) but the same search on DuckDuckGo had crack links on the first page! In the UK a lot of file download sites are blocked at the ISP level which may help stop "casual" piracy but it does nothing to deter anybody using Tor or a VPN and using torrents or crack forums.

A company I consulted for was very unimpressed with the breadth of search employed by an anti-piracy business and their AI methods (and their fees). I hope these things have improved nowadays.

I got my latest plugin Quantum cracked the SAME DAY it was released.

Maybe they'd had their hands (and disassemblers/decompilers) on a beta?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”