Well this is a kick in the nuts: VST2 plug-ins

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:08 pm that is compatible with the VST2 standard.
This is key for any hope of success.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Markus Krause wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:06 am
I agree with the above suggestions. To be safe we devs just need to write our own 'VST 2.4 compatible' SDK and release it as open source. Steinberg can't prevent us from doing this.
Right on!!! :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Ok i asked the question explicitly @steinberg forum and Yvan replied that hosts that support VST 2 now, will still be allowed to continue to support VST 2 in the future in order to support user projects made in the past using (legacy) VST 2 plugs. The VST 3 license agreement will be updated :phew:
See https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst-3-sd ... ?u=mutools

Oh, a transition period. That's cool.

Later than sooner! A cheer rises up from the commons
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Great news :)

TBH, I'd be totally relaxed in Steinberg's position. VST is the standard in the plugin world, so why try to push developers and users further towards VST3? It is happening, more and more plugins are available as VST3, and, there's absolutely no need to push yourself to further development. It works, it's proven, so, why put pressure on yourself to develop it further? I can't see any commercial reason either for it. Unless Steinberg really decides one day that they want to discontinue VST2 support in their DAW's, which I just can't see in the next few years, especially when big players like NI don't have VST3 versions of all their plugins.

Not that I totally wouldn't understand why they want to push VST3, but, if I would be seeing that developers still VST2, and are slow to adapt VST3, because they can't see the groundbreaking advantages for them and their products, then I'd just relax, and just give the transition some time. Time is moving very, very slow in the audio software world anyway.

That's why I always find the proposal of new formats a bit funny... it will take 10 years to establish that (I mean that it will be widely adapted). IF it can be established at all (I'm doubtful). Plus, it has to suck for developers as well to always adapt to new standards.

VST 3.0 was released around 12 years ago. Surely a long-enough transition.

That's what I'm saying. :D Audio software is moving in lightspeed...

Well, the problem with VST3 is that Steinberg appears to ignore the problems with VST3.

(e.g. VST3 is designed on the premises that MIDI would somehow "go away", but obviously MIDI hasn't died, to the contrary, MPE and MIDI 2 have come about)

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 amUnless Steinberg really decides one day that they want to discontinue VST2 support in their DAW's, which I just can't see in the next few years, especially when big players like NI don't have VST3 versions of all their plugins.
That is definitely happening sooner than you think (no VST2 in Cubase). And NI is working hard on VST3 across the whole portfolio too. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:42 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 amUnless Steinberg really decides one day that they want to discontinue VST2 support in their DAW's, which I just can't see in the next few years, especially when big players like NI don't have VST3 versions of all their plugins.
That is definitely happening sooner than you think (no VST2 in Cubase). And NI is working hard on VST3 across the whole portfolio too. :)
So, what can you tell me about NKS... do we have to reserve a month this year for this then?

I would hope not! NKS itself should stay as is, and I suppose it'd only be a matter of adding the same vendor-specific opcodes that were in VST2 to VST3 too. I'll ask around :)

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:42 am
Thinking about, it makes sense, now that all the developers seem to push towards VST3 (even BlueARP has a VST3 version now).

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”