How To Replicate CamelCrusher "British Clean" Mode

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there!
So CamelCrusher no longer works on M1 Macbooks. Since most of my old projects use CamelCrusher in British Clean mode, I'm trying to see if there is a way I could go about building a replica of it.

Sorry it's a broad question, but any ideas how I would go about building a clone of this, or could anyone point me where to look to get me started on the right path?

I've never developed a VST, but I've been a professional software developer for the past 5 years.

(For context CamelCrusher is a distortion plugin)

'British Clean' isnt a mode, its a preset. And from the name, its attempting to give the flavour of some specific guitar amp, ie probably something like a Vox.

Building a clone of this requires more than programming skills, it requires audio DSP skills too. Building distortion, filter and compressor stages is easy enough, but knowing what you're doing well enough to properly replicate the distortion, filter and compressor stages of something specific is a much more advanced ball game.

So your best bet, TBH would probably be to start looking at existing amp modellers. You'll find similar presets in most of them.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hmmm, http://www.camelaudio.com redirects to https://www.apple.com/logicpro/
splice.com wrote:Camel Audio was acquired by Apple in February of 2015.
support.apple.com wrote: If you've been using Camel Audio plug-ins, you can switch to the Logic Pro versions of the plug-ins:
  • Use Phat FX instead of CamelPhat and CamelCrusher (both CamelPhat and CamelCrusher settings are transferred to PhatFX).
So transfer to Logic is (probably not) an option...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yeah, it's in Logic now.

I'm sure there's a number of plugins that will give you that flavor, but I doubt you'll find something to match perfectly. I'd start with Voxengo's Guitar Amp Simulator. It's free and in the same-ish vein as Camel Crusher and may give you an idea of what else is out there.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Good damn, everyone uses CamelCrusher. Such a magic

I’ve never used Camel Crusher and haven’t got my hands on it- what about it makes it so desirable?

SNFK wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:45 pm I’ve never used Camel Crusher and haven’t got my hands on it- what about it makes it so desirable?
Simpe yet powerfull slamming compressor ( esp in phat mode ) , nice eq and a great hp-lp input filter .
Nice sounding filters etc..
Hidden soft clipper at the output stage so you'll never had to worry about exceeding 0dbfs
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

jeremyk23 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:05 am Hey there!
So CamelCrusher no longer works on M1 Macbooks. Since most of my old projects use CamelCrusher in British Clean mode, I'm trying to see if there is a way I could go about building a replica of it.

Sorry it's a broad question, but any ideas how I would go about building a clone of this, or could anyone point me where to look to get me started on the right path?

I've never developed a VST, but I've been a professional software developer for the past 5 years.

(For context CamelCrusher is a distortion plugin)
Hi mate,

I made an account just to post a reply to you on this. Hope you see it! I’ve just got a 2020 mac book air M1 and was gutted when I couldn’t get camel crusher working.

I’ve found a fix. Go applications and click info on FL studio. Then tick the run in Rosetta mode.

Open up FL and there you have it. Camel crusher will work.

Simple as that.

I will pay good money for some clever dev to make an m1 native…err…"homage" to camel crusher

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”