LYTZ wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:43 am
As you can see on his LinkedIn profile
he dropped energyXT officially in 2016 and
is still selling it.

KVRist
179 posts since 26 Feb, 2007

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:34 pm

It's a product. So, yeah. You still can buy the product. It wasn't pulled. Why should it be pulled? It works. But he is out.
Professional.

Suspended
1714 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Post Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:14 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:46 am
bungle wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:35 pm
Edit*
Tried contacting him via support, lets see.
any news?
Nah, nothing, doubt it is even an active mailbox.
Somebody ask him on linked in if he would sell it on to be open sourced.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

KVRAF
5878 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:15 pm

bungle wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:14 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:46 am
bungle wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:35 pm
Edit*
Tried contacting him via support, lets see.
any news?
Nah, nothing, doubt it is even an active mailbox.
Ah i see.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket ||
Audiomack - SoundCloud - hearthis

KVRAF
6843 posts since 18 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:24 am

bungle wrote:
Does that mean “somebody should do that” or “somebody actually did that”?

KVRAF

Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:13 am

farlukar wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:24 am
bungle wrote:
He most likely meant 'somebody should do that' :hihi not shure why he can't do it himself :shrug:

KVRAF
1997 posts since 26 Jul, 2004

Post Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:12 pm

Open source would be cool.

KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:47 pm

If Jørgen wants to sell (for a reasonably crowdfundable price) and if people are willing to step up to brush up/maintain the code.

Suspended

Post Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:13 am
farlukar wrote:
bungle wrote:
He most likely meant 'somebody should do that' :hihi not shure why he can't do it himself :shrug:
Im not on linked in.

KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:33 pm

bungle wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:02 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:13 am
farlukar wrote:
bungle wrote:
Im not on linked in.
neither am i :shrug:

KVRer
2 posts since 17 Oct, 2017

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:43 am

Please Jorgem, come back, your daw is a gem. Open source is a real solution for us.

KVRAF
4325 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:33 pm

I once disassembled XT2 in WinDAsm32* and found several thousand LOC commented out with "For release only in XT4, or when the KLF reform, or when bloody Uli pays me that money he still owes me".

*Of course I didn't - that would be highly illegal.

In my deepest darkest fantasies I do see Jorgen still strapped to that chair in the basement, with Uli turning up now and again to throw him scraps of food, and in that bad unfunny German accent of his (is there any other kind, especially if you are Swiss?), and after putting on his black leather glove, slowly and menacingly, like something out of a scene from 'Marathon Man', viciously back-handing Jorgen across the face, while he shouts: "Zoh, iz die neu DAW finished yet, Snow man from die Norz?"

I guess my unfunny German accent is even worse than Uli's, but we can't have everything in life...

We can fantasize all day long. And you have to admit, it's a nice thought to think that Uli Behringer is really that much of a super-villain to kidnap and enslave, and put to work, our most esteemed maker of DAWs. But nah, probably never happen. Uli probably did try to kidnap him, but he and his henchmen couldn't find him, as he was out hiking, after pining for the fjords! Norway is a big place! Then again, I think Jorgen was lasted sighted in Australia, Gold Coast, with GoL, both suntanned and sipping margheuritas and laughing all the way to the bank.

Didier, in his even more unfunny and bad French accent making a flippant comment about: "Zeze DAW You-Serze - Zay are jerst zo fuk-King ztupid n'est ce pas?"

Jorgen nods. It was a good day on Bondi!

Obviously my really bad unfunny French accent is even worse than my unfunny German (Swiss) accent. C'est la vie! Alles Klar!

:party:

The party stopped after XT1 really. Those people are gone now. The ones that are still around don't post much. Some of them still use it though. It's stood the test of time. Well, XT2/3 has anyway, was pleasantly surprised to see how well it works on winX.

Jorgen, like GoL, had an unorthodox approach to coding software and designing DAWs in particular. Delphi, say no more. XT2 was C++ though.

Both oddballs. Both of them true Hackers in the truest sense and meaning of the word 'Hacker'. GoL left things in better shape, but there was more cash flow involved and I'm sure JMC has ways to persuade people, maybe even like Uli has ways to persuade.

The fact that XT software was taken over by Behringer for a bit maybe has more than a little to do in its demise. Did J-Boy get a big fat check? A threatening cease and desist? Who knows. It didn't make sense at the time but it would make perfect sense now.

XT is what it is - I don't know how you would really bring it in to the roaring 20's. It still works pretty good. Over a range of OS's. You can customize the look and feel to not a great extent, but you can definitely shift the mood and also work with different screen resolutions and gammas and setups. No matter what system I put it on, I can get it looking nice and fresh and legible and my eyesight is bad these days. I need to make those tweaks. The colour thing is just gravy.

People say that Jorgen got treated badly by his base and that he threw his toys out of the pram (rightfully so), but unless he has a particularly thin skin, he was not abused any more than your average developer by fanboys who couldn't get what they wanted. Some of it was a bit much in my eyes, but I've seen worse. We'll never know.

Just like Sigi from SQ8L fame, they like to keep us guessing. I guess they put so much life and soul in to a project, it's hard for us mere mortals to believe. Then we are so ungrateful. And abusive. And they think 'f**k this for a game of soldiers'.

People are complex. And sometimes they are private. Jorgen and Sigi were never the most communicative of people. Also shit happens. People get ill. Family members get ill. Sometimes they get snapped up by other companies like Frits from Zynewave Podium fame. Now that was a DAW with potential!

Again, I've been flippant here. I don't know what else to say. It's the end of an era. It's not coming back. Enjoy what you have. Share what you have. I'm advanced in many ways with XT2 after using it so much for so many years and making up hundreds of projects. But I'm still a noob discovering new ways of doing things, little things that were hidden away in the 'fluff' of the general operation of the program. I posted one or two recently.

The program still works. Well. It's absolutely super stable across various OS's. I even got it running on Linux the other day with the kind help of the dev of AVLinux! That was a buzz! And it's a place I'm slowly starting to revisit. As I recall, I think he said he had some basic contact with Jorgen and he had no problem with him including the program in his distro. Don't quote me on that. I might have got it wrong. Thread is here on the forum.

One of the things that surprised me though about XT2 was its ability to record in live guitars and whatnot. It's not really an audio program, and has in fact, quite a serious and potentially dangerous bug when it comes to audio editing - I don't know if this was fixed in XT3 - but it could blow your speakers or your ears, quite easily! It's not that the audio editing is bad... anyway my point was that it's very quick to record in my guitar or bass over a track. In seconds. Cubase don't have that, very few DAWs have that, even Ableton, which is pretty good with that is a bit slower to get done.

If Uli had any sense, he probably wouldn't kidnap Jorgen and torture him in the basement like Larry Olivier with his clove oil, but he might, like in Zie Godfarter, make him an offer he can't refuse, jah?

Whatever, the program costs less than 20 euros, you mugs. It's still a very powerful semi-modular environment for hooking stuff up. The real crime here and the real reason Jorgen should be kidnapped and tortured in Uli's basement, is the fact the VSTi development stopped around 2.54 (IIRC). Workable though. Very workable. Still. But unstable.

And here we come to the grand irony and great tragedy of the matter:

It wouldn't take much effort at all to bring XT up to speed.

I say this as someone with a very small background in software development. A failed programmer, in fact. But not some fool that expects the coding wizards to wave their magic coding wands and make everything so.

There just isn't that much to be done. Even give us an x64 Multi-Core final release, fixing show-stopping bugs (like the speaker blowing and ear-deafening audio editing bug). And we will pay for that. We will pay up front.

All this has been said before, hence my flippancy and general tom-foolery at the beginning of this post. There is no logic left. No appeal to reason that seems to work.

I just hope that Jorgen is happy in his current life - healthy, happy, and well!

You magnificent Norwegian bastard!

(thank god he wasn't French, or German, or even worse, Swiss?)

:love:

KVRian
882 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from London - UK

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:22 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:33 pm

XT is what it is - I don't know how you would really bring it in to the roaring 20's. It still works pretty good.

It wouldn't take much effort at all to bring XT up to speed.
I agree it wouldn't take much to update it, from my own perspective.

Though other people may expect much more, we know in reality it must happen in steps.

As a one person 'product owner' / 'CTO' / 'developer' / 'tester' / 'business owner', perhaps attempting to satisfy everyone (all the quick win priorities, and the customer feature requests, and his personal vision for the software), would be difficult to think as possible to simultaneously satisfy, given limited financial return at its current price strategy.

To state the obvious: This is why in Agile the product owner takes on board opinions of 'all stakeholders' and prioritises.

It's not about everything, to everyone, it's about some progress, according to what's on balance considered important.
codec_spurt wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:33 pm

People say that Jorgen got treated badly by his base and that he threw his toys out of the pram (rightfully so), but unless he has a particularly thin skin, he was not abused any more than your average developer by fanboys who couldn't get what they wanted. Some of it was a bit much in my eyes, but I've seen worse. We'll never know.
You could interpret the fanbase reactions in a number of different ways: Though a given comment could be interpreted as negative, the same comment is often coming from a passionate response from someone who cares.

The challenge is to deduce how much of that is valid, or an emotional overflow, whether it needs attention now or in the future, or not. To constantly shift the roadmap in effect.

:borg:

Suspended

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Behringer never owned Energy XT, it was a licensing deal thats all.
During the Behringer years, Jorgen did not update Energy XT, an employee did, if i remember correctly, could be wrong, Jorgen was mostly out sailing a yacht (that is no statement on his intent or anything else, just something I remember seeing)
Jorgen was never abused, this is a forum, people rightly said XT 2 is not as good as XT 1.4, that is not abuse but a truth for most of his user base.

KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:42 am

bungle wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:00 pm
During the Behringer years, Jorgen did not update Energy XT, an employee did, if i remember correctly, could be wrong
In the early xt2 days Jørgen hired 2 part-timers for a while: hawk did design and pr stuff, henning coded effects. Henning dropped off the radar shortly after the Behringer deal, Håkon had already left then.
So most likely, XT Software was/is just Jørgen.

Return to “energyXT”