Energy xt sizzles and crackles

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everybody,

:help: I have a big problem with energy xt. During the playback, the sound sizzles and crackles. I have also other daws but only energy xt do that. I tried to remove all plugins but it changes nothing. If I set a drum track, it's ok but once I try to set a few other tracks, recording is ok but playback snatch my ears.
My config : AMD 6 cores / 6Go, M-audio fast track / Win 7-64.

What is curious is that I have a friend who have the same problem with a totally different config (except win 7-64). So who is guilty ?

You use ASIO?
If not, you should.
Try increasing the buffer size in EnergyXT2 -> File -> Setup -> Audio.

ZonderP wrote:You use ASIO?
If not, you should.
Try increasing the buffer size in EnergyXT2 -> File -> Setup -> Audio.
Thanks for your response.

I forgot to precise that I use Asio :the one from the audio card. I already tried with every buffer size with no effect. I tried with other Asio but if I do that, it doesn't work anymore. In addition, recording works perfectly and in playback, the sound is here but it sizzles and crackles. I have not this problem with other daws. So why keepin'on with it ? Simply because energy xt is more simple to use (even if it's not so powerful).

Hard to tell what could be the problem...
What audio interface do you use?
Do you have the newest driver for it? (Often on installation CD's that come with audio interfaces, older - often buggy drivers are delivered and the newest ones can be downloaded from the internet)
Be sure you have the 64 bit version of the appropriate driver!
Uninstall the driver and reinstall it again.
One folk had a similar issue because he installed 32 and 64 bit versions of his driver (don't ask why this is even possible!).
If you have a built-in audio device (on you mainboard) try how XT behaves when using ASIO4All with this audio interface.

Out of further ideas so far.

Good luck!

I had a similar problem running a single core 3GHZ, It turned out the processor was not the problem but rather the IRQ being shared with video. I use 2 monitors and XT2 crackled and popped, but if I turned off the second monitor popping decreased. I moved the video card and problem was solved.

FWIW: 7 years later I find myself searching for a solution for the same problem (and adding this comment for fellow googlers from the future): I've been test-driving DAWs (Reaper, FL, Ableton, MuLab, Studio One etc. etc., all ASIO with a default buffer of 512), and this problem only happened with EnergyXT: just tried playing demosong.xt. No obvious sign of CPU overload (and shouldn't be either!), or anything suspicious.
(Quite a vanilla PC with a Core 2 Quad CPU + a single monitor, referring to a prev. comment with the display-related problem.)

UPDATE: Maxing out the ASIO buffer at 2048 did reduce the glitching, but was still not enough! :-o (No other ASIO setting made any difference.)

disable multicore processing in preferences if you haven't already tried that

Return to “energyXT”