* WARNING * - Do NOT install new iLok software!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:Yes, this can always happen with ALL KINDS of C/P systems. Again, prime example is Kjaerhus.
One company. iLok affected plugins from over 50 companies:

https://www.ilok.com/ilokpublishers.html

(slightly outdated, but a good list)
But... I have to emphasize once more...
The iLok and the client itself wasn't faulty - the syncronisation to the server was. And if I followed the debates and the news correctly, even those "corrupted" licenses are working again.

So it was a temporary issue. An issue no doubt, but temporary.
While technically you're correct, it took two weeks. (From what I've read, people may STILL be having issues.)

Webster's Dictionary:

tem•po•rar•y (ˈtɛm pəˌrɛr i)

adj., n., pl. -rar•ies. adj.
1. lasting or effective for a time only; not permanent.

Not to mention, this wasn't a minor issue. This was worst-case scenario. The site being down so you can't make changes to your iLok is annoying. The site/software wiping your licenses? That's a critical f___-up.

I understand the problem,s I understand the "need" to add something that wasn't there with the rig before (during a project). But even then - couldn't that have waited until you are finished? Or... if you're demoing a lot of stuff - don't you have an old v1 spare iLok? (I do have one - and most companies are still on v1, only a handful are on v2 now)
Because of lies like this:
Pace wrote:
Worry Free - Your licenses are on the safest, most secure solution: the iLok. With Zero Downtime™ protection available, you've got 24/7 peace of mind.
?

Anything goes wrong with the iLok, you've got ZDT to protect you, right? Wrong.
Several sides to a medal. I don't need to drag this out any further. I made my point. PACE fixed most of the problems by now.
Maybe. Like I said, there's still fresh posts on Gearslutz with people running into the same problem.
And this issue sure as hell doesn't keep me from using C/P systems with USB keys or whatever. Which also means, that I won't drag that out in threads popping up - which will happen, I'm sure of that.

For example: Slate Digital's VBC will be released eventually this summer. I'm 100% certain already, that by end of page 1, there is at least ONE hate post towards the iLok system. It's currently happening all over the place at the market place, the FX section - here on KVR, and moderately on GearSlutz.

I only ask myself "why?!
Aren't there bigger problems with far worse issues?
What could be worse than a good chunk of your software disappearing? In the case of Pro Tools users, the host itself disappearing.
Like companies who take your money and run? Or... overpriced annual payments for software just to "keep it running" for more than a year (bcause internally it has a bit that turns off your tool after 365 days!)?

Think about it.

Oh, and there were issues with eLicenser... just not more recent ones.
Believe me, I have thought about it. Like I said, I wasn't affected because I was already on the fence about iLok. I was at the point where something would have to REALLY wow me, be an absolute necessity, have no alternatives available, AND be cheap. :D After this, like I said, I'm not touching any iLok software period. The stuff I have I'll continue to use as is (on my two iLoks) as long as I can, but if it stops working, I'll only be out $500 or so, and there are alternatives to what I have on there. (Everything I bought that was iLok protected happened to be good deals. Used or on clearance. :D ) There were a good many studios that lost $10k + for two weeks. That's insanity.

There aren't too many companies that take your money and run, the posters on KVR seem to warn everyone about them (thank you! :lol: ) and if you buy a subscription to software, you know what you're doing at the time.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

I think then pretty much is said - and now it's down to waiting.

Bad press or not, they're working on fixing the flaws. And people have (hopefully) learned a thing or two about demos and "needed updates" in general.

:shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I have just read some of the recent posts in this thread and am made doubly glad that I made the decision more than five years ago to not allow any PACE-infested software onto my computers. I haven't had so much as a single licensing problem in all of that time, nor have I had any of the system instability that I believe results from having the PACE virus installed (some of which I saw for myself on a Macbook infested with the PACE virus back in 2007). Yes, as a result I've had to pass up some software that I probably would otherwise have purchased (that new StormDrum 3 looks like it might have been interesting, if not for you know what), but at the same time, I've happily spent a great deal of my money on music software in the last five years, and not one dime of it has gone to any of those companies that insist on utilizing PACE and offering no alternatives. I only wish more people would take a similar no-tolerance approach to PACE and iLok ... then maybe some of these companies would decide they needed to offer less destructive licensing alternatives.

I'm catching up on the thread after a day tracking, and I wanted to thank all those who expressed sympathy with what's going on. I'm not trying to play the victim here, and there is a viable workaround, however kludgy. One of my co-workers is willing to run the new manager on his system, and leave it there for quick access.

Like Theo, I've never gotten worked up about any of my CP stuff, and really never got the anti-dongle thing either. My first PT system had a few, and I didn't have to perfectly type in 50 four letter words from a flaking postcard! I understand that theft is a problem, and as a professional, I wouldn't want my work pirated either. This just seems disrespectful to a 15 year user.

And I know that my upgrade is looong overdue, but l work in a video production/recording studio, and keeping current on HD cameras, servers, Final Cut, Maya, various Adobes, even Office, and all the machines to run them puts us in a "need it now" situation. We tend to update for new projects that help defer cost, or as gear goes south.

Hell, it costs 2k a month just to have the building! So the "why are you so slow to update" question is a little tough for me. It's embarrassing to have a whole 500gb drive labeled Intel Mac Stuff that I've bought, but can't run yet.

But other projects/departments have demanded more firepower to stay really current, and my system keeps doing what it does for nothing, helping pay for my co-worker's stuff, just as his work will pay for mine eventually.

I've put myself at the end of the que a few times now, because I don't NEED anything more powerful at the moment. But do I want it? HELL, yes!

So with regard to my situation, I'll quote Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..." Hey, that sounds like Pace too! :hihi:

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Dominus wrote:
TheoM wrote: Anyway I am very close at this point in my life going back to windows and cubase 7. Because cubase 7 uses syncrosoft, all plugins for example nexus which use syncrosoft start up very very fast as cubase has already initiated the syncrosoft driver when it launches. No huge pauses like in logic.
Alternatively, you could dump both the iLok products and Syncrosoft products. The host is the most important thing on a DAW, and you've been happy with Logic for how long now? You're definitely a Mac/Logic guy. (And I say this as a PC builder. :D )
Actually the issue is the direction apple is heading in. I've been commenting here and there about this for quite a while, and the new Mac Pro garbage can was really the last straw, that and being forced to upgrade OS every year. Apple treat their customers with contempt more than any other company I know.. I never liked apple, I switched only for logic, no other reason. I have grown to love the finder and explorer feels very awkward to me now, but I am demoing cubase 7 on my little win laptop and it is a hell of an impressive software. I can finally honestly say it has logic beat in every department.
I am tired. I just want to buy something that I know will be supported for a decade. I can guarantee cubase and windows 7 will work for many years and be a supported config.

Mountain lion proved to me that apple are heading in a direction I can't stand. Version 10.8.4 and it STILL takes 30 seconds to shut down(snow leopard is instant), and logic becomes sluggish and unresponsive with visually intense plugins GUIs open. Furthermore if I wanted to install mountain lion on my main mac, I can't install my logic 9 unless I buy the App Store version. The DVD installer won't work which means I would lose out on wave burner as well which is my favourite burning software.

I can't run cubase 7 on this machine as a alternative nor pt11 as they both requires ML. It gets worse, the update is broken. So if I installed sl and then logic and then did the ML upgrade, it hoses permissions. This has been verified at many different places online. One can't move plugins around, and ones folder preferences are not kept because critical permissions are put into read only mode, and a permissions repair function will always put them back there and cause havoc even if I force change them manually, which is not something I am keen on doing.. I mean a system upgrade is a very complex task and how would I know every permission to change. Installing fresh mountain lion has correct permissions just like sow leopard and is the only way to go and actually runs ok.. But then I can't install logic, apples own software! I mean come on! That's nuts! I have had it!

Reading about osx mavericks shows it is designed for further power saving and running ones processor at its lowest megahertz more often than not. I really think it will be a disaster for audio. Ok you say, so i can stick to snow leopard and my current machine, but already devs are starting to make plenty of stuff not compatible with snow leopard! And one day that machine WILL die and ill be forced to move up anyway. Furthermore, if logic x is released soon which I really feel it will be, it won't even work on snow leopard! Apple works against the users and forces their hand and I am so friggin tired of it. I mean a new OS all about energy saving? Yeah that's going to be great for low latency audio! As if mac didn't suck enough already at audio performance vs windows. Lol. (Except of course logic cause of the way it's designed to work around the mac speedstep issues)

Regarding elicenser, well I can't get rid of it.. I am not willing to lose Halion sonic which is my favourite all round rompler I have ever used in the box since I started doing this, I mean giving that up would be really tough, and I don't want to lose nexus or arturia sem either. Actually as much as I love nexus, spending all my 40th birthday money and buying complete WAS stupid, I only needed the core program and a couple of the good expansions. After all there is a lot of similar content throughout them.. But the gate and arpeggiator are SO good,and logic doesn't do midi out, that I need nexus to do my arp and gate stuff.. On cubase I will have so many more options for that its not funny. Anyway I wish I COULD sell nexus and rebuy just the core and five expansions, but I paid 2.5k and there is just NO WAY I am going to lose that much money. No way. So no matter what happens, ditching elicenser is not nor will ever be an option unless someone wants to buy my nexus for 1999 and steinberg release a dongle free Halion. Guess what? Neither of those are going to happen :(

Anyway cubase 7 is very very impressive
Just learning the audio quantise, otherwise it's the awesome cubase I knew back to front between 2004 through end of 2008. The only thing that hasn't changed is average quality stretch.. I don't know why elastique sounds so bad in cubase, but I could do my important stretching in live rewired into it. Lives complex pro mode is amazing on musical sources. On drums lives slicing and beats mode are much better than anything cubase can offer.
Oh elastique sounds great on s1 also.. I really wonder what steinberg did to fudge it to that degree.

S1 on windows is pretty impressive too, on osx it is just a dog and painful to use.

Ok novella over :lol:

Ps will probably end up staying with logic anyway :lol:

So it begins:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340188

Pro Tools 11 is out, and iLok hosed a lot of the people upgrading from PT 10. Now they have no Pro Tools.

Awesome.

I don't have a single piece of software that relies on iLok. I just didn't have a spare USB port to stick it into permanently. So, I've watched this whole thing unfold as an innocent bystander. What a train wreck!

I can't feel smug, though, because I have Steinberg's dongle. I just hope and pray it never fails.
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

I just read this on page 12 if the linked AVID board
Just so you know, their (iLok) server crashed last night while many of us were in the process of surrendering/activating. For me, I got through the surrender part but the server crashed before I got through the activation part. So now I have no licenses to surrender so the activation part fails.
Again, server issues.

Come to think of it, this could be due to two things:
a) PACE's server is still not up to spec
b) currently, there is a riot due to the PRISM incident all over the internet. I can't even access certain servers I usually show by. As if they're cut off.

This is definitely bad luck.
And yes, I do agree that I do not(!) understand why people still release new software in the middle of the iLok problems - and why people still want to update INSTANTLY. PT11 came out when? Like Friday (yesterday)?

Patience is a virtue - and a lot of people lack that. The comments on page 10/11 of that page are devastating. Like "waitng more than 5 minutes is unacceptable".

Boy! I do remember MMORPGs which updated EVERY TIME you logged in, and the download took several hours for the updates - because it was the only server! And, there was the other extreme - where you bought the game for 70quids, and the server was down for almost 4 months! I'm looking at you, Diablo 3.

Why do we need to be constantly online again?!
Last edited by Compyfox on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

TheoM wrote:I am tired. I just want to buy something that I know will be supported for a decade. I can guarantee cubase and windows 7 will work for many years and be a supported config.
Actually, Microsoft will support Windows 7 till 2020, or so I've heard. ;)

Doesn't mean the devs will support it, too.

It took them quite long to drop XP support, and even then some stuff can still be made to work on XP if you know how.

In any case, Windows platform is much more long lasting compared to what Apple's doing to their OSX.

Compyfox wrote:I just read this on page 12 if the linked AVID board
Just so you know, their (iLok) server crashed last night while many of us were in the process of surrendering/activating. For me, I got through the surrender part but the server crashed before I got through the activation part. So now I have no licenses to surrender so the activation part fails.
Again, server issues.

That's fine. But it's nonsense that Pace's issues cause the iLok to wipe all of your licenses. Actually, not nonsense. It's insane.

From Gearslutz:
davidwilson wrote:This looks like the new place

Yes, if you look up 873 Savaker St, San Jose, CA on Google maps, that's the empty lot that comes up and it says that Pace Anti-Piracy is at that address.

The backhoe is for burying all the iLoks that people are going to dump now. :D

I like the part in that avid thread where the avid representative suggests you to sync/repair and subsequent posters say they lost PT10 license doing so ...... and the avid guy didn't edit his post! :lol: :facepalm:

So now everyone finding that thread, following official instructions .... you figure it out :)
:hug:

Dominus wrote:From Gearslutz:
davidwilson wrote:This looks like the new place

Yes, if you look up 873 Savaker St, San Jose, CA on Google maps, that's the empty lot that comes up and it says that Pace Anti-Piracy is at that address.

The backhoe is for burying all the iLoks that people are going to dump now. :D
So.. If you step into the office and say the secret passphrase an elevator takes you 2km underground to their hi tech top secret facilities, right? RIGHT?!?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”