Stop buying music stuff? Are you ready? Am I?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, the rest of the KVR "old guard" has gotten ancient. But not me!

I'm still the same age (approximately). :D
A well-behaved signature.

Bought way too much gear last year. Began at summer with three analogs and then in the autumn I decided to go in a direction that demanded specific gear (able to do probability or ramdomization sequences). Then I got too much of that too. In all I bought for 5430 $ in 2018. It was a midi mess to make it all work together, so I ended up with 5 synths stashed away and 5 in use. Sold some older gear along the way + some of the new with a good deal of loss but managed to get 2580$ back. That still leaves me with 2 synths stashed away and 2850$ for gear in 2019, which is about 4 times the amount I would usually spend. I hate to waste money on redundant gear. Had promised myself not to buy any gear this year but then I made a completely lame impulze buy on eBay a couple of days ago. I bought a DSI Tetra just because I thought it would be a cool mate for my Digitone when I am on vacation. IDIOT! :dog: :nutter:
575$ for a synth I have no room for in my set up and I am not on vacation that often. Arrrrrgh, friggin GAS :bang: :bang: :bang: :help: :help: :help:

It gotta stop noooow :cry: I DON’T NEED ANYMORE. If I just can get it deep into my skull, so it can stop my ass from going “Oooh shiny, me want, me want”.

It seems to me that you haven't got too much gear, you just need to expand your studio and book more vacations :tu:

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:04 am i think theres a huge difference between buying stuff because you know it will add to or make the process of making music more fluid/fun
and
buying stuff because it's there and you can afford it. which i think is more easily done with software, because you cant see it taking up space. so it's easy to just grab a new amp sim or 5
aside from the cost with hardware, you gotta find space for those amps!
plus if you're in a relationship, its easier to hide 20 new synths in software than get one new pack of strings in the house :hihi:
I honestly don't have a lot of synth plugins, I like effects. While I do have many, and many
of them cover similar ground, they are all carefully considered for my own criteria, which
is pretty broad. Ranging from DAW compatibility to CPU efficiency and latency impact.
I'm pretty nuts, so I actually use all of it, depending on the situation. Although, not every
situation comes up regularly. I like to work in different DAW's as well, so I have more than
most.

strangely i have no real desire to buy a lot of softsynths. I can get a lot more sounds out of the handful i already have before i run out of room.

on the other hand i am searching a bit too enthusiastically for new channel strip stuff, trying to find the one that 'feels right.' i have mostly just tried demos so far, but oof. the temptation is real.

mrcleats wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:20 pm It seems to me that you haven't got too much gear, you just need to expand your studio and book more vacations :tu:
I have a big apartment but I am not interested in setting up a lot of synths in one messy midi pile. It is a workflow killer. I keep it down to as few units I can that work smootly together.

Though booking more vacations (for me and my daughters) sounds like the better advice here and I may take it, not at least so I can put my Tetra to use. Digitone and Tetra are still the perfect couple. They are about the same size, and Digitone has 4 internal tracks, 4 external (with trig conditions) and a stereo input to be processed by its effects. It just begged for Tetra’s 4 voice mulitimbrality and audio output. Only problem is no need for it :roll:

At least I have not fallen into the modular trap yet, though the probability/random thing could be the entry point to exactly that. God forbid :pray:

My issue is guitars all over the place, not synths. We have a largish 1 bedroom flat, and there's 16 guitars, 2 basses, an Irish Bouzouki, and a dulcimer packed into it.
At least there's no midi hassles. My only keyboard is a 61 key controller. Technically, I only have 3 synths (notwithstanding those in Logic) and a bunch of VIs. I was mildly tempted by Sampletank 4, but I have almost all of those bases covered quite well. Besides, 'space' takes on a different meaning when it comes to storage on my computer. 250 gb of redundant stuff is a luxury I can't afford in that regard.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

hammered dulcimer or mountain? btw folks, he has an amazing collection of acoustics :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:27 pm hammered dulcimer or mountain? btw folks, he has an amazing collection of acoustics :tu:
Mountain. There's a pic of it in the same place as the acoustics and my electrics, which aren't too shabby, either. Yeah, my acoustic collection is pretty great! I was playing a couple of them today! :tu: I'm a lucky man: I'm blessed with a wife who is also a musician. :D
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

if you need space ill happily look after a couple of the les pauls :tu:
mates rates for storage :)

:hihi:

IncarnateX wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:38 pm At least I have not fallen into the modular trap yet, though the probability/random thing could be the entry point to exactly that. God forbid :pray:

yeah, i do find it weird youre so anti modular, yet the whole probability/random thing is your ultimate quest.

i reckon one of those will need to give soon :hihi:

come to the dark side! :evil:

Sitting here at a riding school watching my 12 year old daughter riding a horse so elegantly, a family tradition, and have just sworn on basis of ^^^^ that I will never engage in any gear-junk that will make me go bankrupt and hinder my economical support for such life event. Dark side, go away. Far away :x

well, you know what they say about horses...

you can lead them to water, but they wont build you a boat.

I had to be the grown up growning up. Decided then and there that I wasn't going to do that as an adult.

That being said.... I love my new axe. Wish I bought it in the 80's
Last edited by tapper mike on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 pm I had to be the grown up gowning up. Decided then and there that I wasn't going to do that as an adult.

That being said.... I love my new axe. Wish I bought it in the 80's
What sort of gown did you wear?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”