Recording electro classical guitar via line in

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im sure i've done this in the past without issue.
Have a Yamaha electro classical (Yamaha APX-5NA), with a new battery in it... plugged in to the Line in on a Win 10 pro v 1903 PC
Tried recording in Audacity but cant get a peep.
Have tried all the options Audacity offers (input/ output sources etc) but nada...
Is the output from the guitar circuit enough to drive the Line in on the PC ?...as I say i'm sure ive done this in the past without issue ...I dont have access to any other equipment at the moment so this is the only way.
Thanks

Well, you're sure it was no problem in the past, so I'll take your word for it.

What about the cables / adapters you use? I think there's 1/4" TS jacks on such a guitar (usual guitar cable) but bog-standard soundcards usuallt have 3.5mm mini-TRS (stereo) so some adapters are needed.

An easy test is to touch just the tip of the guitar cable (while disconnected from the guitar ofcourse) which should produce a clearly audible hum.

Maybe the electronics of the guitar developed a fault: broken cable, loose connection...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Will have to investigate further...did the touch tip test first...as I'm not at home I have to use whats available and theres no other kit here I can use to record (non-musician house)...going to see if theres a multi meter here so i can test cables etc with that...also will try the mic-in on PC as I have also used that in the past. This PC is only a couple of months old so even though possible i would expect the audio ins to be working .
Im stuck here for a couple of weeks, so maybe i might have to get something cheap interface online to get me through and just keep it if i get this stuation again..
Thanks Bert

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”