Why don't 3rd party developers keep updating their Kontakt instruments?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think it's the one bad thing about purchasing Kontakt libraries is mostly they rarely get updated. Sure, you can always add in or changes whatever effects or modulation that you want, but it's a rarity that the developers who make these excellent sounds keep up with their instruments. There are a few exceptions like Homegrown Sounds & Wave Alchemy, but it tends to be if you buy a library it tends to be a one and done thing.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

It is bad, and I know this is the total opposite of modern software development practices, which "should" have a lot of small releases and frequent updates. But updating something that's several gigabytes, a mess of tens of thousands of samples, and where one change might need to be done 20 times in 20 places... it does discourage developers from going back to change anything beyond fixing obvious bugs shortly after initial release.

The reason is, they are perfect by definition. If there is a bug its in Kontakt...; - )

DSmolken wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:34 pm It is bad, and I know this is the total opposite of modern software development practices, which "should" have a lot of small releases and frequent updates. But updating something that's several gigabytes, a mess of tens of thousands of samples, and where one change might need to be done 20 times in 20 places... it does discourage developers from going back to change anything beyond fixing obvious bugs shortly after initial release.
A lot of truth to that. Im not sure how most of the developers' libraries are constructed; maybe a lot of modulations or effects on the group level, but it would be nice if some of them made some libraries with fewer samples so that some updates would be more feasible.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Many libraries are of acoustic instruments, which are one and done physical objects. What kind of updates are you expecting from that?

We're seeing some devs add features like sample import and wavetables, but that is largely because Native Instruments implemented those new features.

If they work than i’m good. I don’t use that many straight acoustic samples, mostly warped, folded, spindled, mangled, etc.
I’d guess that updating zillions of samples for little or no money would put small devs out of business quickly.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Cinesamples has updated their products many times, as has ProjectSAM.

However, for samples of acoustic instruments, one should not be excited at the idea of updates, as the only reason to update it is if you failed to get it right the first time or because you want to turn it into video games with horrible DLC type packages...

Saukar30 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:34 pm .
..... but it would be nice if some of them made some libraries with fewer samples so that some updates would be more feasible.
Then they pretty much wouldnt sell - sadly its the number of samples included that is a major influencer on purchase decisions
VST/AU Developer for Hire

Constant updates of software products are a curse of modern times. Bug fixes, okay, but updates only because you have to make updates, no. I personally can do without that. Especially sample libraries are normally feature-complete at release date.

We update stuff all the time. :-)
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Sometimes, we update more than we use.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”