[Linux] Zyn Fusion installation broke Ardour JACK Transport

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there,
So... I'm using ZynAddSubFX for a while now, and i was really happy with it. Today, i wanted to try the Fusion UI and downloaded its source code to use it with my already installed ZynAdd. I spent some time trying to compile it, without success. So be it.
I've been thinking for a while to make a donation, so i decided to buy the Zyn Fusion version, thinking that at least it would simple and help the devs.
Alas...
The installation went fast, but then i found that it broke somehow Ardour. When i tell it to use JACK Transport and record something, the soft goes wild. If i try to stop it, the "play" and "record" button are still lit, the JACK button blinks. From there, impossible to use Ardour anymore.
Though it is not directly linked to Zyn in itself, i think, as the synth is working fine, i'm quite... unhappy to see that the installation might have messed up with JACK (because i can't think of anything else that could have done this kind of bug).
As i'm running out of patience for today (i must say that i'm quite displeased to see that i paid for a supposed stable and verified installation process that created problems), i need the light of the community on this. Have you already had this kind of bug, and do you know how to correct it? What could the installation of Zyn Fusion have done to provoke this?
Thank you for your time!

Hi lede,

No dispute that building zyn-fusion yourself is clunky (a result of running out of time during the main development sprint), though it tends to be somewhat straightforward on Linux. (MacOS is by far the most frustrating). Thanks a ton for the donation, it's one of the motivating factors for trying to keep up with support issues as life has stayed busy over the past few years.

Unfortunately I don't know how it's interacting with ardour. The binary versions only remove zyn specific files and install the new plugin+assets. It doesn't modify anything related to any specific host, it doesn't touch anything specific to jack/libjack/etc. I can totally see it causing issues with zyn itself, but I suspect the jack transport behavior is an unfortunate coincidence. I'd be interested to know if others have encountered similar problems, though I'm guessing you'll find the answer on ardour's support resources (forum/IRC).
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

Hi!
Thank you for your answer! And apologies for being a bit rude on the previous post, it wasn't a good day and i lost patience...
And be assured that i don't regret donating; as i said, i really like Zyn and use it a lot, so it's normal to give you some testimony of gratitude.
If the installer doesn't touch JACK or Ardour, then it might be indeed on my side. The weird thing is that i didn't change my configuration between the time i installed Fusion and the apparition of the bug. The install was the only change i made. And it seems related to JACK, since i can use Ardour normally as long as i don't touch the JACK Transport button.

On the same topic, i noticed that the 3.0.5 version of Zyn Fusion wasn't available for download on linux, only the 3.0.3 (which i downloaded). And as the soft itself only says that it's the 3.0 version, i'm not sure which one is installed. It also seems that my previous installation of ZynAddSubFX (3.0.5) is still there. Does the Fusion interface use this one?

I'll try to debug further JACK to see where is the problem, and i may try to reinstall it though i'm reluctant to do so... But if anyone as any idea on the subject, it would be welcomed! This problem slow me severely in my work and i can't let it stay too long...

Anyway, have a nice day!

P.S. Just some data for people willing to help: i'm using Ubuntu Studio 20.04, Ardour 6.5, JACK 1.9.12 (i think?). Tell me if you need something else, and thanks!

Testing JACK Transport with Hydrogen only worked normally, so actually this could be Ardour related.
It's as if, when i click the J. Transp. button, Ardour lose focus on the play state. It's moving, i can record stuff, but as soon as i hit stop it goes wild. Even when i go back to internal, the "play bar" is moving around the end marker when it reaches it.

Well, as it seems it's probably not related to Zyn actually, i'll go check on Ardour's forum.
I'll leave this post opened just in case, as fundamental said, there might be something.
Thanks for your answer, fundamental, and good luck with the development!

P.S. I'll still check this subject, if anyone has any hint. And i'll post here too if i find a solution.

It's wasn't long, obviously...
Checking the Ardour's forum and bug tracker, i found this:

https://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=8490

which describe quite well what i'm experiencing. Installing Ardour 6.6 resolved the problem.
Sorry for having wrongly charged Zyn Fusion installation.
Thanks and have a nice day!

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”