Antress Modern1176ME released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't got too much experience with a 1176 but compared to the test waves I got this freeware version is too slow in the release but at the same time it behaves very polite
and with the look of course you really don't care.. what is it with this hardware
thing... love it!

only thing I don't like is that the plugin can't do mono.. or should I say it always
render to a separate stereo file in wavelab instead of the source file.

//Daniel :)

sinkmusic wrote:(i odn't want to be rude in any way to anyone, i am just naively wondering :
- what is the need of another compressor, as i have plenty i like,
- Why are LA-2A emulations so popular
- In what way is this one (or other Antress plugins) better than existing ones ?)
You're not being rude, but I have to wonder why you'd take the time to type all this and not try them out. I understand that you want to know other KVR members' opinions, they're important to me too, but this is highly subjective stuff, and when someone's claiming their plugin is a vintage model, you really have to decide for yourself if it imparts what you would describe as "analog" sound. Look at PSP Vintage Warmer: a highly popular and respected plugin, I love it, the SoundOnSound guys use it in every "Mix Rescue", but most of the technical guys around here hate it! But if it sounds good on your mix, then who cares what either think?

Anyway, that being said, I don't think these plugins do anything special beyond what other compressors do. No, this will not replace your favourite compressors and EQ's, but it might sound just right on something. :shrug: The biggest problem with these is CPU use, as they're made with SynthMaker, which pretty guarantees a higher CPU overhead. At this point, though, I just don't know enough about the developer's skill and DSP knowledge to really trust these as mix plugins. They're great for free, fun to use, and I feel grateful for developers like this, just cheerfully releasing interesting plugins for everyone's use. That's a good thing.
Last edited by bduffy on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

si! - good post...

bduffy wrote:You're not being rude, but I have to wonder why you'd take the time to type all this and not try them out. I understand that you want to know other KVR members' opinions, they're important to me too, but this is highly subjective stuff, and when someone's claiming their plugin is a vintage model, you really have to decide for yourself if it imparts what you would describe as "analog" sound.
[...]
Anyway, that being said, I don't think these plugins do anything special beyond what other compressors do. No, this will not replace your favourite compressors and EQ's, but it might sound just right on something. [...] At this point, though, I just don't know enough about the developer's skill and DSP knowledge to really trust these as mix plugins. They're great for free, fun to use, and I feel grateful for developers like this, just cheerfully releasing interesting plugins for everyone's use. That's a good thing.
Thanks for your reply.
I have tried it, but didn't see anything special about it, so I thought was missing something obvious ;)

Yes, in fact, I think my interrogations were maybe more directed towards general compressor's appreciations.

As you said above, most of the time, it is what i do : i download, i try it, if i can make it sound the way i want (or if it gives me new directions i didn't expected) i keep it, and don't go deep into technical comparison or explanations.
But this 4 pages thread for something that has nearly been categorazied as a new "classic must-have" made me wonder : why such an enthuasism ? Am i missing something ? Is it only subjective, or is there any specific reason to praise it ?
I am very gratefull with Antress -like i can be with any other dev releasing there work and sharing with everyone-, but i have downloaded some of his plugins, and, when focusing on the plugin (and not on the fact that the man releases nearly a plugin a day, and free), i didn't see anything "new" or "better",just a "basic" comp (nothing wrong with that).
So, i thought i may have missed something (like a "magic" knob, or better results on specific audio material, or things to be absolutely sure to have tried it with ;) ).
So, yes, thanks, dbuffy, you answered my question :
this is highly subjective stuff[...] No, this will not replace your favourite compressors and EQ's, but it might sound just right on something. :shrug: The biggest problem with these is CPU use, as they're made with SynthMaker, which pretty guarantees a higher CPU overhead. At this point, though, I just don't know enough about the developer's skill and DSP knowledge to really trust these as mix plugins. They're great for free, fun to use, and I feel grateful for developers like this, just cheerfully releasing interesting plugins for everyone's use. That's a good thing.

Sorry, sinkmusic, I thought you said that you hadn't tried it. Pardon my scolding! :D

Kingston wrote:is it time for a reality check yet?
No kidding!!

The guy is flat out ripping other peoples work off, as far as the GUI, and probabaly other areas as well. I tried it out and it has a lot of bugs..

Im not impressed with the sound..
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

Killvehicle wrote: I tried it out and it has a lot of bugs..

Kill... make a list of "a lot" of bugs for all and Antress.

Post, please.

The real one

La2a-clone

ROLAND

UAD

antress

:wink:
DSP with attitude

I think the only concern is whether he's exposed for lawsuits. Probably in his best interest to disguise it a bit.

FYI, the Roland one is made by UA. Now, the problem is not that it looks alike, but the fact that he actually ripped-off parts of the UAD LA-2A GUI. His 1176 looks actually better than the UAD one, but it's most probably based on a picture of the hardware unit and not UA's GUI.

Niksounds wrote:
Killvehicle wrote: I tried it out and it has a lot of bugs..

Kill... make a list of "a lot" of bugs for all and Antress.

Post, please.
how about "alot" meaning it crashes your host ALOT and makes buzzing stuttering noises ALOT.

Funny to call it a LA2A and then put the Gain before the compression and not after..

Hmmm...reality check...Synthmaker...photoGUIs...hmmm

Fair go to the man - he's giving away free stuff that he spent time on.

But c'mon. Unless he coded all his own modules, does anyone really believe this thing is going to sound anything remotely like an 1176 and not like every other compressor/limiter made with Synthmaker? And he releases that quickly, do you really think he codes his own modules having analysed old gear, or even impulses of old gear? You like it or you don't in its own right. But please...less of the "it looks like an 1176, so it sounds really good" rubbish.

I'll try it out and give it a chance, and I might even like it...I don't know yet. But I really know before I even press the d/l button that it is not going to be an 1176. You lot...do a strict A/B comparison with your eyes shut (i.e. not looking at the admittedly nice GUI) and compare it to any other Synthmaker compressor/limiter with the same features. Then come back and we'll discuss sensibly.

From the official website :
"*Special Edition is programing with new signal processing algorithms."

It must be the same for the "Vintage Emulators".

multree wrote:
loopdon wrote:i assume it's not much different to the urs plugin line except that this guy
isn't asking a fortune for the tools.
cuz he just takes graphics from other developers and doesn't need to hire a graphics artist ;)

ddummer is right... just had a look - but see for yourselves

:-o
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”