ndc Plugs release Fragmental VST plugin (now v1.02)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I've finally finished the plugin I've been working on with shamann for well over a year now; Fragmental.
It's a fairly complex multi-fx plugin, incorporating a delay, granulator, reversinator, and 3 phase vocoder effects (transpose, exaggerate, and spectral accumulation). I tried to design the interface around the idea that it's a plugin to be performed with, so the user should not have to perform complex mouse actions to manipulate the sound. As such, it takes a single gesture to change an effect's position in the signal chain, and modulation routing is controlled with the pie chart-type controls you can see above, which also control modulation amount. In terms of modulators, there are 3 available (red, green, blue) which can each be set to a choice of an LFO, an envelope detector, or a physically-modelled knob (in keeping with the performance idea). For a full explanation of how everything works, check out the included 10-page manual.

The code for the phase vocoder effects comes from the PVOC plugins (get them here if you're interested), which are licensed under the LGPL. Unfortunately, this makes them incompatible with Steiberg's stupid license, and they have to reside in a separate dll (NiallsPVOCLib.dll, also included). As long as you keep it in the same directory as the plugin dll though, everything will work fine and legal.

As usual it's open source, and I'm afraid it's Windows-only. You can get it here.

Finally, this will probably be my last VST plugin. I've grown tired of Steinberg's stupid license restrictions preventing me from releasing these plugins under the GPL, and with Vista looking kind of worrying for various reasons, I'm going to be moving my music-making activities over to Linux. Obviously that's going to be a huge pain in the arse, so I'm going to be spending most of my spare programming time trying to create a Linux DAW/host/A-V environment that I can feel reasonably comfortable working in. So, thanks everyone who's offered feedback and advice, and thanks too to the various people I've worked with from time to time (in chronological order (sorry if I've forgotten anyone): cbit, PJ Geerlings, liqih, spacedad, shamann). I really appreciate it :).

- Niall.
Last edited by NiallM on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

well, thank you VERY much :)

OMFG I thought you'd been commited or something!

ndc ndc ndc ndc ndc ndc ndc ndc ndc ndc ndc!

Thank you so much! This week keeps getting better and better!

WHeheeww!! Nice one! Gone to fiddle..

L

Yes
thank you very much.
I keep using a lot ndc trem+, ndc buffersynth alpha and some more plugins you've made.
good luck with Linux !

Very nifty. This thing makes some freaky sounds! :)
I'm Kieran, aka dblue, aka illformed | illformed.com | Glitch 2 now available for Windows, Mac and Linux!

This is a brilliant effect. I've always been fascinated with phase vocoding, and your implementation of the modulation routing and control is astounding. The 'pie-chart' interface is both flexible and powerful. On top of that, the gui is beautiful.

:party:

runagate wrote:OMFG
:o I was about to say the same thing
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain

I'm not exactly Mr. Glitch, but this thing is immensely cool!! Love the GUI and the animated "cables" on the dice. Well done!! :D

:lol: Is that Tom Cruise?!?

Wow! Looks & sounds amazing :love:
The only problem i have here is a huge CPU usage... up to 45% in some presets. But in a monster like this that's acceptable i guess ;)

No escaping the CPU consumption unfortunately. It uses six phase vocoders (3 stereo pvoc effects). The pvoc lib isn't exactly designed for efficiency.

I've been using it in various states for a long time now, I find I tend to use it and nothing else while using it. It's not exactly made for massive effects chains, and it is fairly expansive on its own.

bduffy wrote:Image
:lol: Is that Tom Cruise?!?
:hihi: in all his glorious madness! The lady on the left of him (his right) looks like she's thinking stop PLEASE STOP and everyone else looks like GO TOMMM GO TOMMM!! :lol:

THIS THING WORKS AMAZING IN FL7.. I love the fact that it's easy to gradually transform from a normal dry into a peaked out hugh effect and back again! This will be perfect for those transitions that need that little something.
shamann wrote:No escaping the CPU consumption unfortunately. It uses six phase vocoders (3 stereo pvoc effects). The pvoc lib isn't exactly designed for efficiency.
Yea I can only use 5 dice max then I start to chip out.. Looks I will be applying this one directly! ;)

L

zeoy wrote:
runagate wrote:OMFG
:o I was about to say the same thing
... and that was before I tried it

now it's like {\bf OMFG}^{\bf OMFG}

fantastic GUI, and I mean it for both ergonomics and artistic style
not a glitch guy either but that's definitely a keeper for me. thanks guys :wink:
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain

Awesome :)

Return to “Effects”