Compressors with fast attack time

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, what are some quality compressors with very fast attack time?

I'm dealing with some audio material here and when passing it through ReaComp, threshold set to -10 db, maximum gain reduction, fastest attack time, 4 ms. lookahead, it still leaves peaks that go to 0db, only to be stopped by its limiter!
I'm not very glad with ReaComp, not very glad... :x

Oh, and the ones you suggest should be accurate, of course! When I say that nothing should pass above e.g. -10 db, this means NOTHING!!!

Thanks!
bbtr

Stillwell The Rocket is one damn fast compressor. :)

By the way, aren't you actually looking for a brickwall limiter?
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Yeah dude, it sounds like you want a brickwall limiter (maybe even a clipper), not a compressor.

:)
Well, I'm asking about compressors. Just tried Compressive. At 1 ms. attack and -20 db threshold, there are peaks of up to -10 db going out of it!

Will check out the Rocket! Any other?

bbtr wrote:Hi, what are some quality compressors with very fast attack time?

Thanks!
bbtr
http://signaltonoize.com/

If that is too complex for you, there is a single channel Stereo & Mono Version available.

Cheers!
OMNIFEX

14.8 GB Of VST Effects And Growing By The Moment :D

Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong but you'll need an 'infinite' ratio not to go over a specified value. And only limiters have that AFAIK, maybe a few compressors as well but if there are any they are the exception and not the norm. So maybe you're problem is not entirely attack time but ratio as well.

bbtr wrote:Hi, what are some quality compressors with very fast attack time?

I'm dealing with some audio material here and when passing it through ReaComp, threshold set to -10 db, maximum gain reduction, fastest attack time, 4 ms. lookahead, it still leaves peaks that go to 0db, only to be stopped by its limiter!
I'm not very glad with ReaComp, not very glad... :x

Oh, and the ones you suggest should be accurate, of course! When I say that nothing should pass above e.g. -10 db, this means NOTHING!!!

Thanks!
bbtr
Hi,

try ReaComp. Really cool compressor. Does exactly what you want. If you dial it in correctly: Attack TO zero, Ratio TO infinity to 1, RMS size to zero and as you said, 4ms look ahead works great here. :wink:

Shogger
What?

most compressors use rms level as the guide which is why they aren't controlling the peaks the way you want them too. but yeah reacomp is awesome and extremely tweakable. plus it's free, so ease down on it ;)

Algorithmix Splitcomp is the only one which will give you no sudden peaks with the lowest attack time setting. And it is still a "compressor", not just a "limiter", and certainly not a "brick wall".
You can't do this with anything else.

Maybe, but you will need to rob a bank for that plugin :hihi:

True. That's how I got mi...ehm nevermind..

Shy wrote:Algorithmix Splitcomp is the only one which will give you no sudden peaks with the lowest attack time setting. And it is still a "compressor", not just a "limiter", and certainly not a "brick wall".
You can't do this with anything else.
Wow, thanks, a compressor for 1000 Euro! I'm going straight to the bank. Just need a minute to take my gun, though.
Are there any free equivalents to it?
:hihi:

:oops:

No unfortunately, nor non-free.

bbtr, try waves RComp and G-SSL, they both deal good with the peaks.

Fabfilter Pro-C supports ratios up to infinity:1 compression and has an attack time of 0.5m. If you put a delay ahead of the compressor and sidechain the signal into it, you can get effectively zero attack time.

Audio Damage's Rough Rider has a 1000:1 ratio and is free. There are no timing markings on the knobs but it sounds as though it just squishes everything in sight at the lowest attack setting.

Return to “Effects”