MidiShaper 1.4 Out Now / Modulate your synths, effects and hardware

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MidiShaper

that's a very interesting tool.sorry for my poor english, I hope you will understand.

I'm surely miss this feature:
is this possible to on /off an lfo with note ? I try several tweak with ableton, but did not find the solution with all the rettriger options.

for exemple :
I have one midi track with an insturment, and a midi file. a second midi track with midishaper, with a keyboard for midi in on this track, and the midi outpout to the instrument track. each time I play a midi note, the lfo is turn on,and turn off with note off. and of course the notes are not send to the instrument tracks. for exemple , multimodulator from rs-met work like that.

another suggestion, the possiblity to use audio in as a trigger could be very useful. for exemple, il allow you some complexe "sidechaining " fx.

hope it helps a litle
Damien

damstraversaz wrote:that's a very interesting tool.sorry for my poor english, I hope you will understand.
Thanks Damien. Your English is perfect, no problem here.
damstraversaz wrote:I'm surely miss this feature:
is this possible to on /off an lfo with note ? I try several tweak with ableton, but did not find the solution with all the rettriger options.
Yes, this is possible. Turn on EG below the LFO. You can set attack to 0, hold to 0, decay to 0, sustain to 1, release to 0. This way the LFO will be multiplied with the EG, which means it will only play while a note is pressed. Try different EG values for having the LFO fade in or fade out.
damstraversaz wrote: for exemple :
I have one midi track with an insturment, and a midi file. a second midi track with midishaper, with a keyboard for midi in on this track, and the midi outpout to the instrument track. each time I play a midi note, the lfo is turn on,and turn off with note off. and of course the notes are not send to the instrument tracks. for exemple , multimodulator from rs-met work like that.
As far as I know, Ableton Live does not allow to have MIDI signals from 2 channels routed to only 1 channel (unless you press record on one channel, which would overwrite your clip, so it's not an option). For routing, see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhU419KD6k

Ah, I did not know about Multimodulator, and it seems there is only an old beta from 2007. Would be interesting to see how rs-met solved it.
damstraversaz wrote:another suggestion, the possiblity to use audio in as a trigger could be very useful. for exemple, il allow you some complexe "sidechaining " fx.
Yes, audio input is a good idea for a later version I guess.

thanks a lot for the answer ! I will try this as soon as possible

Damien :)

That tool is great, for a reasonable price I'll definitively pick it up.

My suggestions:
- snap-to-grid with customizable resolution
- a bi-polar (-1 to 1)/uni-polar (0 to 1) switch
- use a different type of spline where the curve actually goes through the control points. As it is now, the sine wave never reaches +1 and -1

Regards,
Andre

paterpeter wrote:That tool is great, for a reasonable price I'll definitively pick it up.
Thanks! I guess we'll do 20 EUR, with 10 EUR in the first time after release.
paterpeter wrote:My suggestions:
- snap-to-grid with customizable resolution
- a bi-polar (-1 to 1)/uni-polar (0 to 1) switch
- use a different type of spline where the curve actually goes through the control points. As it is now, the sine wave never reaches +1 and -1

Regards,
Andre
Snap-to-grid: You can get close, as you have a grid in the background. I guess you want snap-to-grid, to place the point on exact musical value. But we believe that with music (if not doing old-school techno), it's better not to have snapping, and instead trust the ears. Most likely the exact musical value is not the one which suits best.

Bi-polar/uni-polar: Interesting idea! This is how it works right now:

(A) The LFO produces values from -1 to +1. You can set your offset value to X, paint in the upper half of the waveform (giving values 0 to 1), and you'll get MIDI-CC values running from X (your offset value) to 1.

(B) You could as well set your offset to X, use the upper and lower half of the waveform (giving values -1 to +1), and you'll get MIDI-CC values running around X (your offset value), to a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 1.

However (A) might not be intuitive, and has the disadvantage that you can only use the upper half of the waveform area. So, yes, I'll discuss it with my colleague and we'll see if we can implement a bi-polar/uni-polar switch! (I'm a big fan of using as little controls as needed, but this one seems to make much sense.)

Paining sines: You can get close, have a look at this image: Image

We just updated MidiShaper to 1.0a3. Download here: http://www.cableguys.de/midi-shaper.html

Alpha 3 brings some minor tweaks and bugfixes (release time can be set to infinite, and more..). And it includes 64 bit version for Mac too, which is still a bit experimental, we did not test this too much yet.

Most importantly, we added an option of sending dedicated MIDI CC values, which is cool if your instrument or effect allows MIDI learn. Controls can be assigned easier and faster now.

WoW!
I own Audioshaper and I use it very much!Love this new creation too,very inspiring and a fun to use!
GREAT! :love:

I accidentally uploaded a wrong version (on PC). So if you are on PC, please download Alpha 3 again:
http://www.cableguys.de/downloads/Cable ... Shaper.zip

this sure looks interesting,i will test it in studio one pro

This could be a very handy tool when working with Kontakt libraries that only support CC messages and you're on the road without any external controller. It could send complex CC messages triggered only with a keyswitch (a note in the sequencer grid), right?
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

mandolarian wrote:It could send complex CC messages triggered only with a keyswitch (a note in the sequencer grid), right?
MidiShaper can be told to send MIDI CC as soon as you press a note, yes. Is this what you meant?

Yes, that's it exactly! Perfect - will definitely purchase this. Thanks!
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

mandolarian wrote:Yes, that's it exactly! Perfect - will definitely purchase this. Thanks!
Maybe give the alpha a try, if it does what you want. And if not.. we are open for input!
Last edited by Jakob / Cableguys on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakob / CableGuys wrote: Snap-to-grid: You can get close, as you have a grid in the background. I guess you want snap-to-grid, to place the point on exact musical value. But we believe that with music (if not doing old-school techno), it's better not to have snapping, and instead trust the ears. Most likely the exact musical value is not the one which suits best.
Please still think about adding (optional) snap-to-grid. It is a commonly used feature in the envelope/MSEG/LFO editors of many VSTs I use - probably all of them in fact. You speak about music - I'd rather make music than spend hours with aligning envelopes to a grid by hand :-) Many genres (besides old-school techno) make use of strict timings on specific grids. Nothing wrong or unmusical with that IMO.
Paining sines: You can get close, have a look at this image: ...
Again, while it can be achieved, it's unusual and unnecessarily laborious. No other MSEG/envelope editor I know of uses splines where the control points don't lie on the line.

Your tool has great potential, but please don't waste that by making the most common tasks difficult!

Regards,
Andre

very useful tool !

Return to “Effects”