Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Andy, the new preset menu is more efficient and very welcome but it seems a little slow when moving the mouse cursor up (down has no problems). Not a big deal at all, but...

1. I open the preset menu from the main portion of the GUI (center list)
2. I hover my mouse over the word Synth to see the Synth presets
3. I quickly move my mouse up to the work Keys to see the Keys presets

Result: if I move the cursor fast, there's a small lag in (maybe a second) in between when the highlight will appear over the word Keys and the presets appear. Moving the mouse quickly through the menu results in a jerky/laggy feeling sometimes (but not all the time) due to the delay. It's probably the inconsistency that makes it feel weird. Downwards cursor movements through the preset list are much more responsive.

I'm using Windows 10 x64, Reaper 6.10 rc4, VST2 x64, AMD Ryzen 3950x with a Radeon RX 5500 XT video card and Anker vertical mouse.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:34 am Id like to see a baby version thats easy on the CPU with just a an option to choose a filter type and Cutoff/ Resonance, for loading into other VSTs that just need a decent filter, feedback paths, Bitwig containers etc
filter type and cut-off/resonance is the most cpu expensive part though. everything else is negligible. also you can click the 'mod' button in the middle of the plugin and it'll turn the mod stuff off and make about half the window disappear.

Aloysius wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:25 pm Is there an intro price on this for current cytomaniacs?
if you have—at any point in the past—spent over 99 dollars at cytomic you get a discount code which pops up in your user account.

nm too slow!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

sleepcircle wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:03 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:34 am Id like to see a baby version thats easy on the CPU with just a an option to choose a filter type and Cutoff/ Resonance, for loading into other VSTs that just need a decent filter, feedback paths, Bitwig containers etc
filter type and cut-off/resonance is the most cpu expensive part though. everything else is negligible. also you can click the 'mod' button in the middle of the plugin and it'll turn the mod stuff off and make about half the window disappear.
I was thinking it could perhaps be optimised further if audio rate modulation capability was removed

andy-cytomic wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:43 am News: The Drop Beta v1.6.2 is available in the Downloads section of customers' accounts. This one is also for Windows as the code signing certificate finally came through.

The Drop v1.6.2 (8 May 2020)
  • New: Drive Boost buttons that boost the level of the signal with increasing Drive. This will prevent the overall level becoming more quiet when lots of drive is happening inside the filter.
Thank you for the drive boost. It was always so weird to hear the volume seem like it was going down when I pushed the filter gain.

How was this set up in Auto Filter? Because that gain (all the Cytomic filters in Ableton, really) Push the volume. Are those gain knobs actually the pre-knob on The Drop, or something else entirely?

dangayle wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:48 pm
Thank you for the drive boost. It was always so weird to hear the volume seem like it was going down when I pushed the filter gain.

How was this set up in Auto Filter? Because that gain (all the Cytomic filters in Ableton, really) Push the volume. Are those gain knobs actually the pre-knob on The Drop, or something else entirely?
You're welcome! Yes, you're right, the Ableton Autofilter Drive knobs are the same as the Pre knob in The Drop. Here is an example to spell it all out:

Autofilter Drive: 12 dB gain -> filter -> 0 dB gain (same as Pre in Drop)
Drop Drive with Boost: 12 dB gain -> filter -> -6 dB gain
Drop Drive no Boost: 12 dB gain -> filter -> -12 dB gain
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Sat May 09, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:56 pm Andy, the new preset menu is more efficient and very welcome but it seems a little slow when moving the mouse cursor up (down has no problems). Not a big deal at all, but...

1. I open the preset menu from the main portion of the GUI (center list)
2. I hover my mouse over the word Synth to see the Synth presets
3. I quickly move my mouse up to the work Keys to see the Keys presets

Result: if I move the cursor fast, there's a small lag in (maybe a second) in between when the highlight will appear over the word Keys and the presets appear. Moving the mouse quickly through the menu results in a jerky/laggy feeling sometimes (but not all the time) due to the delay. It's probably the inconsistency that makes it feel weird. Downwards cursor movements through the preset list are much more responsive.

I'm using Windows 10 x64, Reaper 6.10 rc4, VST2 x64, AMD Ryzen 3950x with a Radeon RX 5500 XT video card and Anker vertical mouse.
Thanks for pointing this out, but I'm not too worried about a little lag. The menu / sub menu code is all Juce default behaviour. There is a deliberate delay between when one sub menu is visible and when the next one will be shown to prevent the correct menu disappearing under you when someone drags diagonally down towards the open sub menu. For example if you had the Guitar sub menu open and want to load the 3rd item from it so move the mouse down and to the right to pick it then you'll temporarily mouse over the Keys item in the main menu. If there was no delay then you would have the Keys sub menu instead. I agree that perhaps some fine tuning of the delay time based on the amount of horizontal movement if it's towards an existing open sub menu would be ideal, but all in all I think I would be better off spending time on other things before that, eg a proper preset panel.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:30 pm I was thinking it could perhaps be optimised further if audio rate modulation capability was removed
With the Mod button off there is still a little overhead checking if anything has changed / has become silent, or not silent with self oscillation. Also if you have oversampling enabled that will add cpu and latency. If you want the lowest cpu possible then set both the realtime and render oversampling to x1 (off), otherwise a delay has to be added to the signal anyway so that there is no click when switching from realtime to render since DAWs need a constant latency reported by plugins so they can compensate for it. I could probably do a little more optimisation in general when the Mod button is off, but really for an optimal result the filters should be built into the synth. The filter parameters always need to be calculated at audio rate, since otherwise there will be pops and clicks as the cutoff moves.

duplicate post deleted

andy-cytomic wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:43 am News: The Drop Beta v1.6.2 is available in the Downloads section of customers' accounts. This one is also for Windows as the code signing certificate finally came through.

The Drop v1.6.2 (8 May 2020)
  • New: Drive Boost buttons that boost the level of the signal with increasing Drive. This will prevent the overall level becoming more quiet when lots of drive is happening inside the filter.
Nice, thanks, it's like rediscovering the drop.

andy-cytomic wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:52 am
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:30 pm I was thinking it could perhaps be optimised further if audio rate modulation capability was removed
With the Mod button off there is still a little overhead checking if anything has changed / has become silent, or not silent with self oscillation. Also if you have oversampling enabled that will add cpu and latency. If you want the lowest cpu possible then set both the realtime and render oversampling to x1 (off), otherwise a delay has to be added to the signal anyway so that there is no click when switching from realtime to render since DAWs need a constant latency reported by plugins so they can compensate for it. I could probably do a little more optimisation in general when the Mod button is off, but really for an optimal result the filters should be built into the synth. The filter parameters always need to be calculated at audio rate, since otherwise there will be pops and clicks as the cutoff moves.
Thanks for explaining :)
Interesting to note about setting both realtime and offline to x1

What is the flow middle section about?

acousticglue wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:38 pm What is the flow middle section about?
It's just a visual indication that the depth knobs all modulate a single destination in the top row.

I've had The Drop for a while and love the sound, but I've been using it in pretty much the most basic way possible (static high/low passes with resonance/drive) and finally getting around to looking into the more involved stuff.

I'm having trouble getting the keytracking to work. I thought it might be a Renoise thing since tracks/instruments are wired up a little differently there but it's the same in Live. I have MIDI enabled as well as both the HP and LP in the bottom right with the dial at 100% but it seems to have no effect at all, not audibly or in the display.

I'm sure I'm probably missing something super obvious here but I've not had any luck finding it in the manual or Googling. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Return to “Effects”