NI Vintage Compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My first impression so far is: "meh". I'll compare it to the UAD when I get home, but so far, it doesn't get pushed very well; transients sound funny at high levels.

And I can't imagine having to load up GR4, click on Browser, click the little arrow (why don't they make the whole section clickable??) and drag in compressor(s). Awfully cumbersome. Then again, you can save complex effect racks...

puh, too much news at the moment...

at first cutting down Kore, now jumping in effects series which only run in Guitar Rig, strange worlds, strange company. :? :D
#PassionForHappiness

b-pole wrote:puh, too much news at the moment...

at first cutting down Kore, now jumping in effects series which only run in Guitar Rag, strange worlds, strange company. :? :D
So weird they put it inside GR4....I'm straining to think of the advantage...

So weird they put it inside GR4
indeed, and they will be free in Komplete 8, be sure... :D
#PassionForHappiness

b-pole wrote:
So weird they put it inside GR4
indeed, and they will be free in Komplete 8, be sure... :D
You lucky Komplete guys. I think NI's a little too discontinue-happy for me to buy their whole kitchen sink anymore. Came close in '08, but I just don't need all that stuff (esp now that I have Omni...).

I have no idea what the originals or UAD models, etc. sound like. I just compared to IK's. The NI comps undoubtably add more snap. I really had trouble telling the difference with IK's 1176 (and 670). Adjust for volume and there wasn't much difference. IK's White fared better, added some of it's own character (as did the Opto, Opto = 160?). You won't have this problem with NI's comps. The difference seems extreme at times, but you won't have any problem recognizing the difference. I think only IK's opto may end up getting a purchase, too bad I didn't demo earlier and spring on the singles deal.

I'm actually a little sad to report that I tried these out and don't like them at all, which is surprising considering the Softube involvement. Why am I sad? The price for the bundle looks excellent. However, these just don't sound very good to me at all when compared to the IK versions.

For instance, the LA2A on acoustic guitar...the IK version sounds great, does a good job of compressing the body of the sound while letting just the right amount of peaks through. The guitar sounds huge. The NI version though, sounds smaller and thin by comparison. It sounds like the attack is a bit faster as the peaks are getting choked, but the release is slower than the IK version.

I wasn't impressed with the 1176 either. I'm really hoping this isn't representative of what the FET Compressor sounds like, because if so, I just don't get it.

Also, if NI had any interest in selling these to me, they'd be single standalone effects. Anyway, I woulda loved three classic compressors at $230 if they were on par with the IK versions, but instead I'm just going to take $200 and apply them to the two new IK plugs.

Dr.Gunjah wrote:I'm not sure if I really like this "powered by Guitar rig" stuff...
agreed

DrGonzo wrote:GR4 is the new Kore.
Great, now it will be discontinued :?

Sounds like I'm the only one who likes these :cry: :hihi:
I only tried the VC-160 (or how it is called) yet though.

Cheers
Dennis

Didn't try them myself yet but am interested in more feedback, keep 'em coming if possible, so interesting to read the comments so far .. I really respect Softube's plug-ins and own their FET compressor which was cool when it came out but lately I thought it's not as good as it can be (it's still good), for example the attack sounds a bit strange .. Wonder if these sound same.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

This thing they're doing with only making effects via guitar rig... is just nonsense. For one, you can't use mousewheel or trackpad on the parameters because it scrolls the rack instead. This is one my biggest pet peeves with VSTs- when you can't scroll to change parameters. The other bad thing is that automation is much more cumbersome and you can't make automap templates for things hosted in a shell like this because the actual plug-in is guitar rig, which has a million parameters. NI are really missing these important things about plug-in usability.

Not biting on these

I'm not even going to try these until they get rid of that "powered by guitar rig" bull crap.

NI is such a weird company. Some excellent products and sometimes good ideas but this guitar rig idiocy is just unbelievable. :roll:

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Well I demoed them, wasn't crazy about them, but what's with all the GR4 complaints? I really don't get what the problem is. Echoes had some actual drawbacks, but the rest seem like, damnit, my plugins must be all by themselves or I won't use them! Weird. You like having to load up three separate compressors? It's so easy to switch them out all in GR4.
Last edited by chj on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”