Are good, free fx dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been noticing the dearth of any new Synthedit or other free fx plugins lately. Wondering what's up with that?
I know I stopped using SE when the new version that couldn't load any old stuff you made came out.
IMO, I also think Steinberg killed a lot of that(and people who hang around here know what I'm talking about)
There used to be this flurry of creative, pluggys that seem to have dried up.
Discuss:

Could be if Steinberg felt this is not a free SDK to distribute for other than ready-to-use stuff. It would be redistribution and require royalty or something.

But as far as I know BONES killer synths are still free and available.

What about the competitor to SE, was it musicmaker or?

lfm wrote:Could be if Steinberg felt this is not a free SDK to distribute for other than ready-to-use stuff. It would be redistribution and require royalty or something.

But as far as I know BONES killer synths are still free and available.

What about the competitor to SE, was it musicmaker or?
Synthmaker :)
:hug:

SynthMaker,
now there's Usine tailing SE & SM.
Here is one of my SM fx-
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=15
It's a pitch shifter with 3000 samples delay
& another->
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... er#4528981
An auto-filter
Cheers

As a Mac user, people not using Synth Edit is fine by me.

As for free FX - not dead.

http://dsp.sonimus.com/products/soneq/

osiris wrote:Been noticing the dearth of any new Synthedit or other free fx plugins lately. Wondering what's up with that?
I know I stopped using SE when the new version that couldn't load any old stuff you made came out.
IMO, I also think Steinberg killed a lot of that(and people who hang around here know what I'm talking about)
There used to be this flurry of creative, pluggys that seem to have dried up.
Discuss:

The flurry quickly filled just about every niche that anyone could think of?

The hardest part of bringing something new to the table is thinking up something that hasn't been done already.

Can you think of anything that hasn't been done, or done half a dozen times?

I wish I could, but then, if I could, I would probably do it in LADSPA and not VST, and the implementation would be truly free, not just free beer.

But I don't think the hard part is the programming and packaging. I think the hard parts are the concept, and the tribal knowledge of DSP mechanics.

Original concepts seem to come to others pretty easily. I'm quite envious of them.

i just got usine pro 5,7 im quite excited with the feature to export as vst
alot if interesting stuff could be made in usine

Good point.

james0tucson wrote:

The hardest part of bringing something new to the table is thinking up something that hasn't been done already.

Can you think of anything that hasn't been done, or done half a dozen times?
Interesting input. I really think this is a part of the anwser. Compressors, limiters, EQ's, reverbs & delays, it's seriously flooded.

Neon Breath wrote:Interesting input. I really think this is a part of the anwser. Compressors, limiters, EQ's, reverbs & delays, it's seriously flooded.
Yes. When there was nothing available the masses drooled over SOME free plugins. Now somebody has to bring quality to make the masses excited. Variety of Sound and Sonimus are good examples.

I cannot remember about a lot of very good SE/SM plug-ins. Most of them had no new ideas or average quality. Many users thinking it's crap only if reading "made with SE/SM".

I remember only to some very good free plug-ins like the bionic-delay (not sure if it was SE/SM) and there was a very crazy plug-in some years ago (Delay Lama) used in some productions.

There are of course some very cheap or free plug-ins with a good reputation like from DDMF or Christian Budde, Kjaerhus etc. But this plug-ins are all real coded plug-ins and the guys behind this are well known for his DSP knowledge.
A problem is also if this plug-ins are not available for Mac. Yes, PC is the most used platform but there are also a lot of professional musicians/producers using Macs.

4damind wrote:I cannot remember about a lot of very good SE/SM plug-ins. Most of them had no new ideas or average quality. Many users thinking it's crap only if reading "made with SE/SM".
Some SE (VSTi's at least) do a lot for the definition of "average quality"
I remember only to some very good free plug-ins like the bionic-delay (not sure if it was SE/SM) and there was a very crazy plug-in some years ago (Delay Lama) used in some productions.
I don't know how reasonable it is to use a novelty plugin like Delay Lama as an example of anything except novelty plugins.
There are of course some very cheap or free plug-ins with a good reputation like from DDMF or Christian Budde, Kjaerhus etc.
There is not Kjaerhus, FYI. I have no idea what happened to them, but they are gone.

I don't know why people refer to the glut of free VST's in the past tense either. This is KVR. By and large, every free VST plugin that's ever been available is still available, in the present tense, so why talk about them as if they have expired?

james0tucson wrote:I don't know how reasonable it is to use a novelty plugin like Delay Lama as an example of anything except novelty plugins.
There are some plug-ins where it was completely uninteresting if free, SM/SE. People had much interest for this plug-ins because they are completely different then others. This singing monk was some of this plug-ins.
Today I cannot see much interesting free plug-ins. Many copies of always existing commercial plug-ins. More interested for starters with no budget.
(I remember to this Antress SE plug-ins with the ripped GUI from the UAD.)
There is not Kjaerhus, FYI. I have no idea what happened to them, but they are gone.
This was more an example of some good free plug-ins from the past. Yes, Kjaerhus is gone.

We just released AmpliTube Custom Shop for Free. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitubefree/features/
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Hi.

There is lots of new free plug-ins being offered on a week-to-week basis all over the Internet.

However, many are not featured on KVR.

In the Synthmaker camp, there is always some new developer asking questions. But, they tend to build things based on their own needs. Keep in mind, not every VST developer is willing to giveaway free plug-ins. Whether he or she uses Synthmaker, Sythedit or C++ it is kindness of one’s heart which makes the person offer a free plug-in.

Developers rarely lose creativity since they are very technical. However, the bulk of the market is generally intimated by complexity. The developer will find him or herself limited to offer simplistic plug-ins to the public. The end result is a lot of repetitive vsts being offered again and, again.

Cheers!
Sir Elliot

Return to “Effects”