best vst tape simulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

75ips wrote: Sorry, I can't really hear the difference. I don't have my headphones on but still.
I really haven't checked mp3's - it was clearly audible while mixing in daw.

Maybe there is no difference once back in mp3.

I never go for remake of the mix - just polish. The other samples I heard were too much remake and something one would possibly use on individual tracks.

Best comparison is if all were made from lossless format original. Starting from mp3 is a loss already.

It was a cool test anyhow. Always interesting to compare.

I find these kind of topics hilarious since 99% of the people (including me) have no frigging idea what tape sounds like... so they might as well sell us anything they want, saying it's "tape"....

Dunno :shrug:

For me, the combination of Voxengo's TapeBus (w Kingston's presets) + TB ReelBus (in that order) with proper
gain staging (that is : before the first plug) - gives a pleasing result that I can't think of any other plug
in my arsenal creating. "tape" emu or not.

UAD is a no-go for me (platform specific and too expensive anyway). and as I was saying : as I haven't heard tape
machine in my life, brands and buzz words can't (read: I refuse to) effect me (well, the Foo Fighters was
recorded on tape. so ? will I be able to discern it from other stuff ? even after 150 iterations, I can't understand what the hell Dave Grohl's gushing about...).

I'm waiting for Satin's demo, but I don't have high hopes. I'm sure it will sound ACE (pun not intended...) but
I can't believe it will offer something that will make me go "WTF ?!".

I'll be glad to be proved wrong and will happily shell those 89$...

75ips wrote:Sorry, I can't really hear the difference. I don't have my headphones on but still.
There isn't much difference over my Sony MDR-7509HD's, either. This certainly has to do with settings, though, as your settings for TB ReelBus and FerricTDS were significantly more heavy-handed and not level matched. I'm not saying that as a slag against the way you did it - I actually love the way you made the TB ReelBus sound - but it wouldn't be fair to make judgment on these plug-ins based on these examples.

lfm wrote:Maybe there is no difference once back in mp3.
Maybe you could try heavier settings like he had? If you listen back to his TB ReelBus example, the difference is much more significant than your examples.
I never go for remake of the mix - just polish. The other samples I heard were too much remake and something one would possibly use on individual tracks.
Yes, agreed. However, for the sake of comparison, it'd be interesting to hear what the Waves plug-ins would do when pushed that hard.
Best comparison is if all were made from lossless format original. Starting from mp3 is a loss already.
Yes, agreed again. I could hear mp3 compression all over the original file and that was amplified by the processing. Also, the original file is not a good mix and has sibilance and dynamics issues that need to be addressed on the channels before hitting main bus processing.

Tp3 wrote:I find these kind of topics hilarious since 99% of the people (including me) have no frigging idea what tape sounds like... so they might as well sell us anything they want, saying it's "tape"....
That TB ReelBus example doesn't sound like any tape machine I've used but it sounds really cool, anyway. :) I'd happily use that as an effect instead of a more accurate tape model.

If you want to know what tape sounds like, most people (including myself) consider Slate's VTM to be the closest approximation in native form.

Reelbus models MANY different tape machines and it also contains a lot of Jeroens own designs that have no bearing in reality but that operate on the same format as the proper models.

If you want to hear just how damn accurate Reelbus as a tape plugin is I highly suggest you listen to some of the audio examples on his website. Probably the most accurate tape plugin in existence together with VTM and possibly the UA offerings.

The difference here is that Jeroen decided to model some not-so-famous and budget/consumer machines instead of the top of the line ones. :wink:

This makes Reelbus by far the most flexible tape plugin on the market today.

We currently have a Telefunken M15 (two of them actually) and a Revox standup one.. forgot what model it is. Probably a B77. The telefunken is nearly impossible to overload into typical drum-smash territory as it was used by the Finnish national broadcasting company YLE for their main radio broadcasts and has been setup to be extremely forgiving. I need to figure out how to get it into "abuse" settings but I haven't had the time to find a manual for it yet.

I've been toying with the idea to try to find a high-end cassette tape deck from somewhere. One of those high end early 90's Japanese portable units would be awesome. They apparently saturate very pleasantly, of course depending on what cassette you have in them.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:The difference here is that Jeroen decided to model some not-so-famous and budget/consumer machines instead of the top of the line ones. :wink:
Right, I should have qualified my statement by saying that if one wants to hear what an Ampex ATR-102 sounds like, the Slate VTM is the closest currently available in native form.

Anyway, I think the TB ReelBus sounds extremely cool by any measure and I'm certainly going to be buying it.

75ips wrote: Hey man,

Thanks for your review. Would you mind running this test sample through VTM?

try_original.mp3

Here's some tries I did:

After TB ReelBus:
try_jeroen.mp3

After FerricTDS:
try_ferric.mp3

Hoping we can soon get an "After VTM" and "After Satin" too.
Here is the original ran through Nebula with R2R Studer 15ips, and TB+ High 2.

http://www.anthonywebster.com/audio/try ... high_2.wav
You are currently reading my signature.

Here are a couple of my examples of Reelbus. I think these show quite nicely very authentic tape qualities. I used the Japan 7.5IPS model which I find extremely interesting for drum stuff. Then I used the Old and Rusty model just for kicks (basically a crappy cassette tape machine) and finally the "professional" model. These are all driven by varying degrees and I've tweaked almost all controls on these to my personal taste.

Original loop 16bit .wav format

Japan 7.5 IPS model

OldRusty model

Professional model

These are all driven quite hard. Notice how the professional model is still relatively intact and represents the original file quite well, even though it has cut the dynamics about 2dB!

I just love this plugin and at 15 euros it is RIDICULOUSLY good value.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:Notice how the professional model is still relatively intact and represents the original file quite well, even though it has cut the dynamics about 2dB!
Sounds great! While subtle, I do hear the difference in dynamics with the professional model and I like what I hear. :)

None of these are doing what I'm used to hearing from an ATR-102 but I could easily see myself turning to the professional model when I need some natural sounding dynamics control, which is more often than not!

Uncle E wrote:
Tp3 wrote:I find these kind of topics hilarious since 99% of the people (including me) have no frigging idea what tape sounds like... so they might as well sell us anything they want, saying it's "tape"....
That TB ReelBus example doesn't sound like any tape machine I've used but it sounds really cool, anyway. :) I'd happily use that as an effect instead of a more accurate tape model.

If you want to know what tape sounds like, most people (including myself) consider Slate's VTM to be the closest approximation in native form.
I don't care about "closeness" as I have no reference, so what good is it to me ?... :)
(BTW, I have bought Fiat 127 the other day cause the salesperson said it is an exact emulation of a "Maserati"... he said "I'm tellin ya... I drove the original. this is it, you got to believe me !!" ;))

Use it as an effect (Technically they are ALL effects, no ?...) or whatnot. at the end of the day one must ask himself : does it sound PLEASING to me ? does the low end oomphhhs yet retains delicate details ? will it "glue" (or "mesh" or whatever you wanna call it) the discrete elements, yet preserve their definition in the stereo field ? do I love what I hear on the high end ?

If the answer to all of those question is a resounding "YES !" then this is it (at least for me...).

Now, I haven't heard VTM, nor UAD or Waves or any other EMU.

I just ain't gonna shell xxx$ (+iBlock2) because someone ELSE said it is "IT".

I am extremely happy with what I have :)

BTW, I heard (many many many years ago) a "high end" tape deck (Nakamichi ? Teac ? can't remember).
I do believe the TB ReelBus generates the same feeling I had back in the day (were talking at least 25 years...)

Tp3 wrote:I just ain't gonna shell xxx$ (+iBlock2) because someone ELSE said it is "IT".
Two things:

1. Demoing VTM is free, that way you can hear it for yourself rather than taking someone else's word for it:

http://drumclassroom.net/demos/

2. VTM went on sale today for $149 so it's not big bucks if you decide you like it.

No matter which version anyone prefers, I think we can all agree that these tools don't sound the same as one another. When I eventually get ReelBus, I plan to use it side by side with VTM and the UAD ATR-102, depending on which is most suitable for the material.

Uncle E wrote:
Tp3 wrote:I just ain't gonna shell xxx$ (+iBlock2) because someone ELSE said it is "IT".
Two things:

1. Demoing VTM is free, that way you can hear it for yourself rather than taking someone else's word for it:

http://drumclassroom.net/demos/
Slate wrote:vtm demo (ilok2 required)
There are enough good tools without invasive copy protection, thank you. I deeply respect anyone who choose to use. for me it's not worth the hassle.
Uncle E wrote:2. VTM went on sale today for $149 so it's not big bucks if you decide you like it.
Sorry :
I've got ReelBus.
it's 1/8 price (of VTM on SALE !).
VTM (on SALE !) is 1.5 the price ReelBus and TapeBus TOGETHER :nutter:
Uncle E wrote:No matter which version anyone prefers, I think we can all agree that these tools don't sound the same as one another. When I eventually get ReelBus, I plan to use it side by side with VTM and the UAD ATR-102, depending on which is most suitable for the material.
I can't subscribe to the idea of choosing, "depending on which is most suitable for the material".

In my world, there's simply no such thing. there are WAY too many tools, and the difference between them is WAY too small to be able to choose wisely time and again. having to pick one among them is an art in itself (and it is a laborious, time consuming one ! I'd rather invest my time creatively on CREATING).

I have one tool (maybe two), they sound AMAZING. I don't care if they sound like tape, or like ape :)

As of now, I battle myself regarding Satin (dunno if I will demo it - or not).

SKnote Roundtone, $29
Go judge for yourself
Theres no hype
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Uncle E wrote:
bmanic wrote:The difference here is that Jeroen decided to model some not-so-famous and budget/consumer machines instead of the top of the line ones. :wink:
Right, I should have qualified my statement by saying that if one wants to hear what an Ampex ATR-102 sounds like, the Slate VTM is the closest currently available in native form.

Anyway, I think the TB ReelBus sounds extremely cool by any measure and I'm certainly going to be buying it.
CDSoundmaster's new Ampex Library (including the ATR-102)is awesome. Man that guy is good at sampling!

Return to “Effects”