TBProAudio: gEQ12 - Graphic 12 Band Mixing and Mastering Equalizer Plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
gEQ12V4

TBProAudio announces gEQ12, a 12 band stereo/MS graphic equalizer with accurate spectrum analyzer and minimum/linear phase modes.

gEQ12 offers following features:
  • 12 independent filter bands, extended frequency range 10Hz - 48kHz
  • 17 filter types, analogue/digital design, zero delay IIR
  • filter slope up to 96dB
  • independent stereo/left/right/mid/side processing per band
  • 7 processing modes: zero latency, minimum/linear phase
  • stereo/MS processing (eg. stereo/mono split for EDM/Dance productions)
  • sample rates up to 192 kHz
  • "real" over sampling, up to 4x
  • hi-res spectrum analyzer with 32k FFT based ISO R40 frequencies
  • pre/post-EQ, average/live spectrum, stereo/left/right/mid/side
  • narrow-band sweeping mode
  • spectrum freeze mode
  • very easy alignment of filter response curve to audio spectrum
  • sample exact A/B toggle for all processing modes
  • precise parameter input
  • large and easy to use GUI
  • interactive spectrum/EQ display
  • load/save reference curves
  • preset management
  • full DAW automation support, smooth filter frequency change
  • 64-bit internal processing
  • very efficient CPU usage design

System Requirements:
  • Windows XP or newer
  • Mac OS X 10.5 or newer
  • Win: 32/64 Bit VST, 32/64 Bit VST3, 32 Bit RTAS, 32/64 Bit AAX
  • OS X: 32/64 Bit VST, 32/64 Bit VST3, 32/64 Bit AU, 32 Bit RTAS, 32/64 Bit AAX
  • Tested with: Cockos Reaper, Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab 6/7/8
Demo version available

Price: 79€
Last edited by TB-ProAudio on Sat May 05, 2018 5:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

Released today!

Update to 1.1: MP/LP Max bug fixed under OSX

Update to 1.1.1:
PDC Fix for Studio One
GUI optimizations

Update to 1.3.0:

New filter type: Tilt EQ
Small GUI changes
FFT live data display improved
Shelf/Tilt analogue filter slope removed
Optimized parameter smoothing

having a lot of problems with this here.. yosemite 10.10.5

i always try new eq's cause i just can't help myself, and this one is actually a contender.. it's very full featured.

At first, i had a problem with it using half a core for ONE instance, even in minimum phase mode! (on a quad retina macbook pro)

Then, that was fixed, but even with the latest version, any mode other than minimum phase uses half a core. There is something wrong there.

I will test the rest of the latest version before i report the other problems, just in case they have been fixed. Will get back to you tonight.

Hi TheoM,
TheoM wrote:having a lot of problems with this here.. yosemite 10.10.5
thank you you for your quick impression.
BTW: which DAW are you using? Have your tried Reaper and checked CPU load?

Thanks

Hi, I am still testing the AU in Logic.

When i test plugins, it is on my "test partition" only, where i only have logic and ableton installed.

I will also test it in Ableton tonight, I just installed the latest version and will test the AU and VST in LogicX and Ableton 9.5

Cheers

gEQ12 introduction video released

Ok it's the AU.. the vst is much better

So far in the vst, the analyser is the main problem. It basically doesn't move, even in real time mode. It's unlike any other EQ analyser I have seen.

The cpu usage seems perfect in any mode, 1% - in the vst

The second problem with both the vst and AU is that when moving dots it "tears" and makes horrible "zipper" noise..

The AU continues to be majorly problematic in other areas.

Just now i turned it to linear phase mode, and all it did was start making "gurgles".Sound all distorted.

Then, POOF - crash.

The latency reporting is broken in the AU. I put it in low latency mode, it has the 41ms latency. I put it back into zero latency mode, it doesn't adjust. The vst on the other hand is fine.

I will continue to investigate for more bugs as the crash interrupted me as i was getting into it.

Some more points:

PLEASE consider being a bit more generous with the demo time before needing to hit the "reset" button. It is really making it hard to have a smooth workflow.

Also, please make it possible to alter the Q (width) of the solo mode.

Also, is there an auto gain? I can't find it.

basically, this EQ has the various modes like standard, minimum, linear, like dmg, proq, and acon have.. this is really good.

Plenty of filter choices, selectable filters per band, solo mode, good sound, etc.

Again, it gets to the point where it's almost more or less exactly like acon Eq which is a bit less money, except acon has more control over the shape. Otherwise the EQ's are exactly the same. People will make their choice to buy yours if they prefer the gui, or vice versa.

I think it is time someone did something a bit out of the ordinary.

Time to stand out from the pack. As it stands, i am happy to test your Eq but there is no logical reason to buy it, but sure i am happy to test it for bugs for you. If i hadn't chosen the acon last year, bear in mind, yours would have been a very strong contender for me once the bugs were fixed.

Anyway, to stand out, why not add a dynamics mode. Add a spectrum grab like proQ2. Add a matchEQ. Why not? make it do things the other 100 dollar EQ's don't.

That's my suggestion, but features and price wise, it's a solid, competitive product.. just that first things first, the bugs need attention.

Hi TheoM,

thank you for your intensive review and constructive feedback (as usual :wink: )
TheoM wrote:Ok it's the AU.. the vst is much better

So far in the vst, the analyser is the main problem. It basically doesn't move, even in real time mode. It's unlike any other EQ analyser I have seen.

The cpu usage seems perfect in any mode, 1% - in the vst

The second problem with both the vst and AU is that when moving dots it "tears" and makes horrible "zipper" noise..

The AU continues to be majorly problematic in other areas.

Just now i turned it to linear phase mode, and all it did was start making "gurgles".Sound all distorted.

Then, POOF - crash.

Hm, AU runs perfect on our machines, no crashes (OSX 10.9, Logic 10.7)
It is correct that in Logic you get "zippernoise" in non IIR modes, if Logic buffer size is small (e.g. 32/64 smp).
It happens also with others plugins using convolution engines. But we already have ideas how to avoid this.
TheoM wrote: The latency reporting is broken in the AU. I put it in low latency mode, it has the 41ms latency. I put it back into zero latency mode, it doesn't adjust. The vst on the other hand is fine.

Well, yes we noticed a problem there, we will fix this.
TheoM wrote: Also, please make it possible to alter the Q (width) of the solo mode.

The narrow-band sweeping mode was designed as a quick tool, wo big configuration. If you need a more sophisticated sweeping filter, you could use one of the regular filter configured as band pass (gEQ12 has plenty of them)
TheoM wrote: Also, is there an auto gain? I can't find it.

We left out AutoGain by intention. We working one a separate product doing auto gain staging and level matching.
TheoM wrote: Plenty of filter choices, selectable filters per band, solo mode, good sound, etc. Again, it gets to the point where it's almost more or less exactly like acon Eq which is a bit less money, except acon has more control over the shape. Otherwise the EQ's are exactly the same. People will make their choice to buy yours if they prefer the gui, or vice versa.

I think it is time someone did something a bit out of the ordinary. Time to stand out from the pack. As it stands, i am happy to test your Eq but there is no logical reason to buy it, but sure i am happy to test it for bugs for you. If i hadn't chosen the acon last year, bear in mind, yours would have been a very strong contender for me once the bugs were fixed. 
This is a quite fair comment. Fancy filter types, linear phase, oversampling, not really rocket since, but must have's. What stands really out in gEQ12 is the interactive EQ and spectrum display. Maybe you have time to watch the video.
While you are EQing, you want to get most possible information to work.
TheoM wrote: ... Add a spectrum grab like proQ2. Add a matchEQ ...

We offer Euphonia for this tasks, from our point of view far beyond EQ matching.

Thanks for your detailed replied.. What about the spectrum not "moving"?

Also, things changed alot in 10.10 and 10.11 with OSX..

I can't use anything earlier than 10.10 on my test machine since it's blocked out by apple as that's what it shipped with, sorry!

The CRASH, actually happened in Ableton with the AU, not Logic.

Ditto with the zipper noise, but it was only in minimum phase ECO mode.. that shouldn't have done that.

Good idea with the bandpass to configure it as a solo sweep. Thanks.

I will give the next build another test and see how we go. Good luck with it.

TheoM wrote:What about the spectrum not "moving"?
In fact this was something we never missed in our tool chain :wink:
But we will consider the change of grouped parameter.
TheoM wrote:Also, things changed alot in 10.10 and 10.11 with OSX..
Well, i think we have to update, ... but i have some doubts, that the OSX version causes the problem.
TheoM wrote:Good idea with the bandpass to configure it as a solo sweep.
:tu:

by the way i am going to be a bit stubborn about my opinion on the auto gain. I think it's one of the most valuable tools for any EQ - many tracks have been ruined by too much eq due to "louder = better" placebo.

Autogain is valid even for experienced ears - it helps you eq in context much quicker.

With he analyser, i don't really understand your reply. Do you mean it is designed not to move like the other spectrum analysers do? i.e is it only supposed to show an average every second?

TheoM wrote:by the way i am going to be a bit stubborn about my opinion on the auto gain. I think it's one of the most valuable tools for any EQ - many tracks have been ruined by too much eq due to "louder = better" placebo.
Autogain is valid even for experienced ears - it helps you eq in context much quicker.
I totally agree, nothing against autogain, if it works as expected.... You know what i mean.
TheoM wrote:With he analyser, i don't really understand your reply. Do you mean it is designed not to move like the other spectrum analysers do? i.e is it only supposed to show an average every second?
The spectrum analyser delivers the information you can expect: either "live" spectrum or "full averaged" spectrum, depending if you master or fiddling with a kick sound.
But gEQ12 can freely zoom and position the magnitude/frequency range, even if the display is "frozen". Too much EQ analyser out there where you cannot see any detail.
And finally you can align the EQ curve centre with your spectrum. Too much EQ analyser out there where spectrum is too much above or below centre of EQ curve.

Return to “Effects”