Toneboosters Morphit - NEW headphones improvement, simulation and customization plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With this update, I'm seriously considering buying this now. Most probably will pick up Barricade in the process. Such a prolific and responsive developer :tu:

Downloaded the demo and will check it out today. I'm in the middle of an album mix and being able to have a bit more accuracy on headphones as a second check might be a good thing. I've never felt the need for this before, but its definitely worth having a listen.

wesleyt wrote:Might you consider adding the AKG K271 Mk II?
+1

That's what I used for closed cans :)

When travelling, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II cans since many years – they're light, well insulated and tolerant to abuse. ;-)

In the studio, I use Sennheiser HD600, which I like a lot.

In order for Morphit to make sense for me as an investment, I'd need a model of the Sennheiser HD25-1 II in Morphit, to approach the sound of the 600, please! Any hope of that?

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

what I do wonder is this: does it make any sense to use headphone "correcting" plugins such as this one or sonarworks when you're going to pass the audio through a speaker/room modeling processor, like the old focusrite VRM for example?

^ apparently VRM is only a simulator ... I would not use it and use correction instead.

Seems like headphones color the sound VERY much so I think one needs correction to use/rely on them for pro applications..

----------
IMHO, software such as Morphit, will start you out, but you still have to do a good part of the HARD work fine-tuning your specific headphones to your ears to FEEL fairly flat with an eq plugin + sine-sweeps. (most of the work will be progressively harder towards the high end)

I guess Fletcher-Munson curves are valid when listening to headphones as well... so, I would pick a comfortable volume I know I usually work at with headphones and fine-tune EQ to generate my IR since the built-in eq (currently) is nowhere near as flexible enough! :phones:

acYm wrote:what I do wonder is this: does it make any sense to use headphone "correcting" plugins such as this one or sonarworks when you're going to pass the audio through a speaker/room modeling processor, like the old focusrite VRM for example?
Yes you'd use the room simulator first e.g. Isone (with flat speaker response) followed by Morphit as the last in chain.

PS the last update sounds even better so definitely demo it again if you've only tried the initial release.

I'm really interested in this plugin as an alternative to Sonarworks.

Would you consider adding the Audio Technica ATH-M40x?
You seem to have most other AT models covered already...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

evilantal wrote:I'm really interested in this plugin as an alternative to Sonarworks.

:phones: +1

electricthing wrote:
evilantal wrote:I'm really interested in this plugin as an alternative to Sonarworks.

:phones: +1
Yes, yes...+superlux and Audio-technica ATH-M30 Please!
www.montrealserai.com
Montreal Serai-featuring diverse arts; poems; essays, cinema & music reviews, coverage of alternative media

djeroen wrote:In general, a target function of a headphone when measured at the eardrums should not be flat. There is a fair bunch of scientific literature about this that would be an interesting read. To summarize it; in music mixing, we typically assume on-axis flat loudspeaker. Such loudspeaker does *not* result in flat response at the ear drums due to reflections and resonances of our head, pinnae and ear canal. The 'Generic studio EQ' and the target curve in the 'improve' mode model such attributes in a generic way, while the various dummy head responses model this more specifically for anechoic conditions (which don't sound ideal and should not be considered as such).
Do you have any links to the literature you mention? I have done a decent amount of acoustic engineering (worked as a product manager covering devices with ultrasonic air transducers in the 20 - 30khz range that had pretty extensive bioacoustics ramifications) and am always interested in areas like this.

One more question, I'm assuming that achieving a "flat" response with your tool could be augmented with a proper HRTF correction for the specific user, thus compensating for the ear shape and head-induced diffusion peaks, haas delay, etc.?

What I would really love to see is a tool that permits a picture of the user's ear to be taken with a reference scale per 100 pixels that could interpolate depth from shadow information and create such a model automatically, then lump that onto the corrective effects of the tool you've created :hihi:
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

rifftrax wrote: What I would really love to see is a tool that permits a picture of the user's ear to be taken with a reference scale per 100 pixels that could interpolate depth from shadow information and create such a model automatically, then lump that onto the corrective effects of the tool you've created :hihi:
... And from there create the "Ear Morphit" - morph your ears into your favorite engineer's and hear things how they hear em! :hihi:

Jeroen makes great plugins all the time, I mean ALWAYS!
He is a VERY Pro!
Don't be fooled by price tag!

.. so, anybody else have this thing crashing after Authorizing it?

I just purchased a copy and after entering the license key and hitting activate, Reaper crashes.. and now refuses to open the plugin any more.

EDIT: Very strange. I copied the .DLL file again from the ZIP archive and this time also added the .vst3 plugin version to the correct place and now it all works as intended. Very strange indeed.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

kmonkey wrote:Seems very interesting alternative to Sonarworks.

There is a lot oh headphones model listed on website, even some poor ones but no Sony MDR-7506 - oh well maybe with update
Does Sony publish the frequency response of that headphone ? Because since TB is one man shop, I suspect his correction curve is based on the published freq response.

So guys, if you want to see your cans added, I suggest you point djeroen to the freq response curve and all the tech characteristics of your cans. It will save him the time/hassle to look for it.

Return to “Effects”