VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
2016 Stereo Room H9 Series: Blackhole Tverb UltraReverb

I hadn't seen that. Thanks from me. :tu:

Week 2: Blackhole $47 (MSRP $199).
Week 3: Tverb $97 (MSRP $249).
Week 4: 2016 Stereo Room $47 (MSRP $199).

I don't think I can streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch that far.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

How does this reverb compare to things like R2, Haloverb, Eventide Stereo Room, Valhalla and other alternatives?

If you start at the beginning of the Thread, you'll get some opinions about that. :)

Ben [KVR] wrote:
Yeah, no doubt, that is a funny. Probably some last minute decision making there. $47 probably has some psychological factor over the planned $49 price. That's why I predict $77 and not $79.
Tverb will be $97 - http://www.kvraudio.com/news/eventide-u ... -7th-37118
Ahh! I see. I got the $2 discount for psychological impression right, I just expected them to be a touch more aggressive and come closer to their recent sale price on Ultrareverb. That's where I got the number from, no more science than that.

With that out the way. As much as I like TVerb, and I'm really happy that it was allowed, along with Blackhole to count for my Anthology upgrade, so, in essence, it paid for itself, I'm not sure that I'd repeat the purchase.

First, I'm not sure that Eventide will repeat that strategy again. I got the sense that they didn't really want to do it but kind of put themselves in a position to do so with some confused communication. So, I wouldn't count on it counting for an anthology upgrade.

Second, it's a bit of a gimmick and more than any of their other verbs, a one trick pony. I think that eventually it will sell for less.

Still, I like it. I like being able to automate the mic movement, and no, mine is not for sale. So, if you have none of these, here's my recommendation, in order.

1) Blackhole
2) Ultrareverb
3) Stereo Room
4) TVerb

ghettosynth wrote:
Ben [KVR] wrote:
Yeah, no doubt, that is a funny. Probably some last minute decision making there. $47 probably has some psychological factor over the planned $49 price. That's why I predict $77 and not $79.
Tverb will be $97 - http://www.kvraudio.com/news/eventide-u ... -7th-37118
Ahh! I see. I got the $2 discount for psychological impression right, I just expected them to be a touch more aggressive and come closer to their recent sale price on Ultrareverb. That's where I got the number from, no more science than that.

With that out the way. As much as I like TVerb, and I'm really happy that it was allowed, along with Blackhole to count for my Anthology upgrade, so, in essence, it paid for itself, I'm not sure that I'd repeat the purchase.

First, I'm not sure that Eventide will repeat that strategy again. I got the sense that they didn't really want to do it but kind of put themselves in a position to do so with some confused communication. So, I wouldn't count on it counting for an anthology upgrade.

Second, it's a bit of a gimmick and more than any of their other verbs, a one trick pony. I think that eventually it will sell for less.

Still, I like it. I like being able to automate the mic movement, and no, mine is not for sale. So, if you have none of these, here's my recommendation, in order.

1) Blackhole
2) Ultrareverb
3) Stereo Room
4) TVerb
Blackhole it on top on my list also

I did pass it up on IIRC Black Friday and could have bought for $42 from uncle Eric.
I instead got R2.

I had a note re BH stating "cold" so that may have been on reason I did not buy it.

I do like the idea of the ribbon and real time modulation.
I will wait for your and other to comment and then decide.

aMUSEd wrote:What does it offer that is different?
Ultraverb has a number of features that give it considerable programmability such as:

Pre AND post EQs as well as delay EQs, with four independent, three band parametric equalizers.
Fully controllable compression on the reverb.
Glide rate.
Lo-Fi feature.
Separate delay, feedback and volume controls per left and right side.
Reverb Tail Randomization based on the legendary H949 Harmonizer Random setting.(gotta have that...)
:)

Apropos Eventide UltraReverb vs. Valhalla-Verbs:

In frame of the sale of the Eventide UltraReverb my question here is: If price wouldn't matter, should I go for the Eventide UltraReverb or one of the Valhalla Reverbs ?

I've been searching and comparing reverbs now for a while, and to make a long story short: I was not absolutely convinced that the UR sounds better than the ValhallaRoom for example. Although my perception was that the tail of the UltraReverb sounds at least marginal more dense.

But on the other side, disregarding the slightly higher CPU-consumption, why does the UltraReverb begin to reduce the volume of Dry-Signal already when the Dry/Wet Mix is still below 50% on the dry side, while at other reverbs the dry-volume-level keeps the same until it goes over the middle to the wet-signal?

Anyone explanations for that or a tip for my limited knowledge about this? :?

Thank you::..
Last edited by Pazzior on Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don't have any CPU issues with this and I'm still on Windows 7, 64bit, using Live 9 Suite, 32bit.

Instead of listening to the reverb in isolation, try listening to it in a mix. That's where you really want it to work. It doesn't matter how good or bad it sounds by itself.

I don't own any Valhalla Reverbs so am unable to comment.

Aloysius wrote:I don't have any CPU issues with this and I'm still on Windows 7, 64bit, using Live 9 Suite, 32bit.

Instead of listening to the reverb in isolation, try listening to it in a mix. That's where you really want it to work. It doesn't matter how good or bad it sounds by itself.

I don't own any Valhalla Reverbs so am unable to comment.
Thank you Aloysius; perhaps you are right, and the Reverb should better be heard in the mix and behave this way (reducing dry volume with increasing the wet volume).

Pazzior wrote:Apropos Eventide UltraReverb vs. Valhalla-Verbs:

In frame of the sale of the Eventide UltraReverb my question here is: If price wouldn't matter, should I go for the Eventide UltraReverb or one of the Valhalla Reverbs ?
You should pick the one you like working with. In terms of overall flexibility in the core reverb sound, ValhallaRoom and VVV each have the edge. UltraReverb has a bunch of other features that can be useful, such as the EQ and compressor, when dialling in a reverb sound. But V-Room has a bunch of different core algorithms with different sounds; VVV has the thing of trying to approach the character of old digital reverbs, similar to those put out by the likes of Eventide in hardware form.

But, do you want a naturalistic reverb or one that "sounds like a record, I don't care if it sounds like a real room"? V-Room for the former, VVV or UltraReverb for the latter.

I have the Valhallas and Ultrareverb. I've been using them for years. If I had to choose between the two: Ultrareverb or the 3 Vahallas, I'd pick Ultrareverb - it just sounds better and is more versatile, to me. In fact, I am selling my Valhallas because when push comes to shove, I always end up swapping them out for other reverbs and so they don't get much use from me.

Pazzior wrote:Apropos Eventide UltraReverb vs. Valhalla-Verbs:

I've been searching and comparing reverbs now for a while, and to make a long story short: I was not absolutely convinced that the UR sounds better than the ValhallaRoom for example. Although my perception was that the tail of the UltraReverb sounds at least marginal more dense.

But on the other side, disregarding the slightly higher CPU-consumption, why does the UltraReverb begin to reduce the volume of Dry-Signal already when the Dry/Wet Mix is still below 50% on the dry side, while at other reverbs the dry-volume-level keeps the same until it goes over the middle to the wet-signal?

Anyone explanations for that or a tip for my limited knowledge about this? :?

Thank you::..
Personal perference, i would say. Both UltraReverb and Blackhole sound better to me than Valhalla Vintage Verb, or Room (somehow more "high end", more pristine, and also less exaggerated/coloured). Exponential Audio R2 sounds better to my ears too than the Valhalla verbs. YMMV.

How does its CPU usage compare with Aether? It sounds good, but I am also very happy with Aether and B2... Still could use something lower CPU and good sounding for some projects though.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Kalamata Kid wrote:

I did pass it up on IIRC Black Friday and could have bought for $42 from uncle Eric.
I instead got R2.

I had a note re BH stating "cold" so that may have been on reason I did not buy it.

Blackhole is not a general purpose reverb. Either you have a use for that kind of sound or you don't. It can sound cold, or not, I'm not really sure that's a reason to not get it TBH. The ribbon is huge for me. Modulating the ribbon in real time gives me otherworldly sounds that I really couldn't begin to think about how to get otherwise. It's not "just" the ribbon, it's how the sound changes when modulated and how easy the ribbon is to set up.

For the last year I've been doing only experimental and ambient stuff. It's all weird and very non-commercial. I am a fan of reverb and I use (probably overuse) it a lot. As much as I like R2, there is no way that it is a replacement for Blackhole (and vice versa).

ghettosynth wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:

I instead got R2.

Blackhole is not a general purpose reverb. Either you have a use for that kind of sound or you don't. It can sound cold, or not, I'm not really sure that's a reason to not get it TBH. The ribbon is huge for me. Modulating the ribbon in real time gives me otherworldly sounds that I really couldn't begin to think about how to get otherwise. It's not "just" the ribbon, it's how the sound changes when modulated and how easy the ribbon is to set up.

For the last year I've been doing only experimental and ambient stuff. It's all weird and very non-commercial. I am a fan of reverb and I use (probably overuse) it a lot. As much as I like R2, there is no way that it is a replacement for Blackhole (and vice versa).
Thanks for your input. I do like ambient. So now it is a little more likely I will get Blackhole during the next sale. When I wrote R2 I meant Reverberate 2 by LiquidSonics which I got during last Christams sale. Sorry for the confusion. IIRC you like it.

This could be an expensive software year for me and am concerned about feeding the GAS.

Return to “Effects”