Why is Slate Digital hated?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We must love him and respect his sleazy sales ways, repeat after me, we must love and respect....
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Great plugins. Generous individual. The marmite of plugin devs.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Maybe warez is easier to control with subscriptions?
Exact opposite. Cost barrier comes way down, so instead of waiting for a supplier, pirate groups have smaller, maintainable funding and all updates come direct to them, making releases faster. For every company that goes subscription, it leaves more money to fund buys for the ones without one.

And Slate is pirated just like everything else. Doesn't matter if it's dongle-only.

MFXxx wrote:Great plugins. Generous individual. The marmite of plugin devs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79-sFaeLVJg

I think Steven Slate has made a significant contribution to the industry.
Like everyone, he isn't perfect.
But his positives far outweigh his negatives.
Good luck to him.

i dont bloody know

Slate seems be the one who gets blamed for bringing the much-loathed subscription model for the plugin industry. The way it was executed for long-time customers was heavy-handed and it seems like it gave them the shaft.

For newcomers though, I don’t think the Slate subscription model bad. It’s a relatively inexpensive way to have a comprehensive library at your fingertips, if you only use Slate.

Its inexpensive for first year or so .. and then you realize you have to subscribe *forever* or you have to redo your projects.

Hate is too strong a word. I don't hate steven slate, I kind of admire his salesmanship.

1. the stupid virtual rack. it's annoying and slow and take sup too much screen. I stopped using shortly after it came out
2. The pissing on your leg and saying it's rain-- The fact that the stupid rack is presented as being good for you, but it's really just a storefront for the subscription model
3. the subscription model. Slate has found a way to get you to pay more while making you feel like you are paying less. It's not slates' fault, but subscriptions, in which everything is leased and you own nothing, are the wave of the future. It will suck
4. Canned quality. Hey i really want to sound like CLA from the 90s, don't you? Maybe, bit ALL the time?
6. Over promising. So I bought VCC and liked it, and then the improved and updated VCC was stuck in VMR, and the old one doesn't work, and so Slate effectively f'ed me out of VCC, which I had used and liked. It's like you sent your favorite pants to the dry cleaner and they came back permanently sewn to a bunch of clothes you don't want. He promised a standalone VCC--three years ago? still no sign.
7. Gobbler. Was there ever a more useless piece of annoying redundant crapware than Gobbler?

So these are my reasons for having nothing at all to do with slate and the slateverse. I've also written off soundtoys and Softube for trying to strongarm me into subscriptions. There are a still a lot of great plugin makers who don't crap your system up. but hey they don't sound exactly like the blue stripe comp in CLA's second vacation house

momalle3 wrote: 3. the subscription model. Slate has found a way to get you to pay more while making you feel like you are paying less. It's not slates' fault, but subscriptions, in which everything is leased and you own nothing, are the wave of the future. It will suck
Only if we buy into them, so let´s vote with our wallets!

:tu:

murnau wrote:
reVizion wrote:Listen, there are a lot of talented people out there with home studios who can't get their great songs to sound great with the free included plugins available in most DAWs
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes definitely :lol:
I was lucky... I bought a car>>
and got free seats, steering wheel and loads more..
What!! I hear you say... the seats etc were included in the price of the car.

Oh, now I get it!!!!

momalle3 wrote:I've also written off soundtoys and Softube for trying to strongarm me into subscriptions.
When did Soundtoys do subscriptions? Not challenging you, I only got on board with version 5 bundle and this is the first I've heard of it. Web search turns up nothing.

soulone82 wrote:
momalle3 wrote: 3. the subscription model. Slate has found a way to get you to pay more while making you feel like you are paying less. It's not slates' fault, but subscriptions, in which everything is leased and you own nothing, are the wave of the future. It will suck
Only if we buy into them, so let´s vote with our wallets!

:tu:
:tu: :clap:
No auto tune...

i don't think he is hated and i don't think it has anything to do with the subscription format... many look down on slate for telling people what they want to hear and never following through on promises. it is hard to shake a reputation when people no longer trust anything you say.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

He reminds me of David Avocado Wolf, analog emulations are turning in to the "organic" fad of the pro audio world.
dedication to flying

Return to “Effects”