Soundtheory GULLFOSS computional auditory perception EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gullfoss

Just stumbled over this new gem on YouTube looking for NAMM news.
A new intelligent automatic equalizer that sounds pretty awesome in my ears at least on a few older tracks I mastered (currently testing the demo). So far I am really impressed with the outcome. A mixture of Dynamic Spectrum Mapper, SuprEesser and Soothe comes to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kWoltZh-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riCIaOSBv7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkzdpIrsBU
https://www.soundtheory.com/home

Strange name. Gullfoss = Waterfall
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

As the guy in one of the vidoes stated: they gave the name of the waterfall for purpose (maybe because of the moving frequency graphics).

tedannemann wrote:As the guy in one of the vidoes stated: they gave the name of the waterfall for purpose (maybe because of the moving frequency graphics).
Ok. I didnt watch the videos
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Simple demo download. Easy to hear the results; good for reducing colliding harmonics in live audio. Works as a mastering dynamics processor, most similar to the Plugin alliance DSM V2 but with a better GUI.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote:Works as a mastering dynamics processor, most similar to the Plugin alliance DSM V2 but with a better GUI.
It's not a dynamics processor. In fact, one of its main features is that it leaves the perceived dynamics entirely untouched. So it's not really comparable to DSM V2.

Andreas Tell
Soundtheory

Whatever it does behind the scene, the outcome is amazing. DSM, Soothe and now Gullfors, amazing times to live in.
After testing it on several difficult recordings and tracks, instant buy! Keep up the good ideas Andreas & team!

atell wrote:It's not
I know. To me the existing effect it "works as" most "similarly" is DSM, but of course it's unique; feels like being in a noisy room and filtering out colliding harmonics to more clearly hear someone.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

It's perhaps closer to frei:raum EQ than DSM V2. This new breed of EQ is indeed interesting, especially for the next generation of audio engineers. I have a feeling the way we mix things will change quite a lot. The next target will probably be AI mixing of some sort and expect a huge backlash from the established/older people (aka me..), as always. :D

EDIT: As I wrote on Gearslutz.. just tried the demo and indeed this thing is incredible. It's going to trigger a lot of sour people (and unfortunately result in a new generation of ultra-bright/brittle mixes). Awesome! :D

The added brightness to virtually all sounds is a bit worrying but easy to tame with the included controls. Other than that, it really does feel like the future (just like Soothe, frei:raum etc).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

If this is similar to frei:raum eq, I can't wait to get my hands on it. So it's disappointing that us PC users have to wait up towards 6 months for this to be released.

Dental Floss
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

.. well the difference is this one does the EQ shaping all the time in real-time, which indeed does sort of affect the dynamics, which brings it a bit closer to DSM V2 in terms of what comes out of the process (it all sounds a bit "compressed"/tamed in a way).

It's definitely a dangerous plugin and could easily be taken way too far. It has the same problems/benefits of soothe. Take it too far and you'll squash the character and life out of any source. Use it a tiny bit sparingly on difficult sources and you can get tremendous benefits.

Anything that needs to be pushed back in the mix.. sort of stapled on to the back canvas could greatly benefit from this process.

I'd like to see one more control for it though.. a "region" control that lets you specify where it does it's corrections. I don't always want the 15 to 20Khz region to have a boost.. nor the very lows. At the moment this is what it does to almost every signal. A bit more control of exactly what region gets processed would be very useful.

.. not every source needs to sound "good" to get it to mix properly. Sometimes dark+nasal/mid-heavy is the exact thing you need to get a source to fit in a mix, yet the removal of obviously ringing resonances is always beneficial. This is currently not possible with the plugin without using a second filter or EQ plugin after Gullfoss.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

^^^ Yes, a multi band version would be nice, as well as details on the pat. pending DSP algos for we old-fashioned folk. (I also compared Gullfoss with SoundBrigade, which uses a lot of non-linear phase IIR filters, and has tame and wake-up settings.) I really appreciate having this new EQ. I don't often listen primarily for the balance among subtle details, so it's been fun to find the type of sources where it shines.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Not bad. Now that you applied it to some classic piano that's been studied to death for ages, how about dubstep or psy craziness? Here comes the challenge :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

bmanic wrote:
I'd like to see one more control for it though.. a "region" control that lets you specify where it does it's corrections. I don't always want the 15 to 20Khz region to have a boost.. nor the very lows. At the moment this is what it does to almost every signal. A bit more control of exactly what region gets processed would be very useful.
At around 1.00 min. mark on the Sounds & gear video they appear to show a range tool. :)

Return to “Effects”